Cheap bastage is at it again!

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

Cheap bastage is at it again!

Post by Racin'Jacin »

A little "restoration" project for the '47's glass...
Basement Paul

Re: Cheap bastage is at it again!

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks great! Explain the cheap part now, cuz that's the best part.

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Re: Cheap bastage is at it again!

Post by Racin'Jacin »

BP, The cheap part was trying to make the decals or in my case the stickers. I drew up the logo - loosely following the original FORD SAFETY GLASS logo originally on my glass. But since I'm neither a restorer nor a "go buy it" kind of guy - I figured some alterations were in order. So I drew it up in AutoCAD and had my buddy cut it out. We used a crappy (read:free) paper label and just cut it out of that. Some 8 dollar glass etch from Pat Catan's and we're in business! Put the paper on the glass - in this case the wife's Q Tip jar and then put on the chemical - 90 seconds later rinse it all off - viola! Etched glass - just like original - well almost!!!

I drew in AutoCAD - only because I am familiar with it. I don't know if that's the long way around the barn or not. I exported it as a DXF file and my buddy took that DXF into a program that escapes me at the moment and checks it to be sure the lines are "thin" - send it to the "printer" or in his case a laser and bingo bango - done - a throw away stencil.

BTW you don't need a laser - any of the graphics companies who do sign work have printers that CUT out stickers - that'd work just as good!!

Next up duplicating an old "WIN WITH DONOVAN" T SHIRT!!!!!

Stay tuned