El Cheapo steering wheel refinish

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

El Cheapo steering wheel refinish

Post by Racin'Jacin »

No prep at all other than a wipe down. Used TruOil gun stock finish (not an actual oil) -wiped it on with my finger! came out pretty decent - methinks.
Basement Paul

Re: El Cheapo steering wheel refinish

Post by Basement Paul »

Wheels looks really good. How bad was it before?

Also, what's the bronze looking thing sticking up out of the dash just in front of the steering wheel?

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Re: El Cheapo steering wheel refinish

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Paul there was ZERO finish left on the entire rim - only the spokes had finish left on them.The entire rim was like a semi flat finish (raw bakelite looking) and the spokes looked "normal". I couldn't believe how well it matches now. Don't get me wrong - it's no show stopper, but unless I told you you probably would have never guessed I had refinished it - so that's pretty good for this hillbilly.

Funny you should notice my wiper "switch". Last time we were headed to the drags my switch broke - I was picking up Stan at the time. So we dug thru his junk bucket and found some scrap of brass that had the right ID and already was drilled for a set screw! Being in a hurry I just threw it on - gotta have WIPERS working any time we go to Thompson if you know what I mean! Yeah - I REALLY need to put a decent looking knob on there. It's one of those things you just forget about....well until NOW! ha ha ha

Jacin