The Anatomy of a Project - 10 Stages

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: The Anatomy of a Project - 10 Stages

Post by Basement Paul »

Just don't ever grease the front end. Eventually it will get harder to steer.

Let me know when you guys are headed to HGR on a Saturday, I'd like to wander around and catch up.

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Paul, most definitely! We'll be in touch soon!
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

UPDATE: OK so having driven the truck for a couple weeks now I decide that my new PS conversion works TOO GOOD! Now it is so easy to steer that you loose the "feel" of the road. I think one major reason for this is my super LARGE DIAMETER factory steering wheel - which I took great pains to keep so I needed to look for another way to address this. After reading up a little on these boxes/pumps I decided the best approach at this point was to reduce the pump pressure a little bit - so I fired up the lathe and whittled out a shim. I know the easy way to do this is to get a shim from a spare pump, but I didn't have one and was too impatient to get one - it took 5 minutes on the lathe - spending most of that time finding a piece of tubing - which I lucked out and found the PERFECT piece - right ID & right OD!!! All I had to do was part off a shim. I opted making it .031" thick (same as the factory ones) so basically all I did was go from 2 shims to 3.

I went around the block and it is WAY better.

I figure a lot of you guys are using a Saginaw PS pump - I know a lot of road guys want a "stiff wheel" for road feel - this is a SUPER EASY way to get that!!! I wouldn't recommend removing shims as you're dealing with serious hydraulic pressures here, but adding shims REDUCES the pressure on a Saginaw - great way to fine tune a close system!!!!

Hey Paul, we still gotta do that walk thru at HGR - I was hoping to do it today, but Donovan had an early soccer game so that nixed that. Hopefully sooner than later we can get there!!!

Jacin
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I know I work right up the road from you. What time do you work til? I'm out at 3:30...

That's a really cool fix on the truck btw.

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Hey Paul, we're working unpredictable hours right now, but usually out at 5 - too late for a HGR run ;-(

Lately it's even been hard to go on our lunch time walks ;-(

How do you like the new job??

Jacin
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So far the new job is great. I did switch jobs internally (long story) but the job I'm doing now is really working out for me. 7-3:30 every day, no weekends, and plenty of time to sell stuff on ebay when I get home. I like it.

-BP