The Anatomy of a Project - 10 Stages

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

The Anatomy of a Project - 10 Stages

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Stage 1 - gung ho! Man this is gonna be great!
Stage 2 - Holy Crap I had to take apart 2 or 3 times more than I thought - No problem I'm all over this!
Stage 3 - OK Where does this stuff fit in here? Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. Too late to turn back now
Stage 4 - Man this looks perfect - I'm gonna call it a night & see how it looks in the morning! Glad I stuck with this.
Stage 5 - Man this looks like crap. What was I thinking - I should have never started this.
Stage 6 - Alright lets see if I can salvage this.
Stage 7 - Man this looks perfect (again) Hmnnnn I hope this isn't a repeat of the last time I thought it was good.
Stage 8 - Hey this STILL looks good - maybe this was a good idea.
Stage 9 - Hey I can see how all the other pieces fit in here - this is gonna be great!!!
Stage 10- Ooooh wee - I am so glad I stuck with this!!!!

Right now I am putting power steering in my '47 Ford truck - trying to use what I have laying around - Last night I was at Stage 4 - Today I'm at Stage 7. We'll see what tomorrow brings!!!!

I'm desperately trying to break out of the Stage 4 - 7 cycle!!!

Jacin
Last edited by Racin'Jacin on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racin'Jacin

Re: The Anatomy of a Project - 10 Stages

Post by Racin'Jacin »

So today I spent whittlin' on some parts - well after diggin' thru my stash of old junk parts. Here's what I found:

One leaky 4 tab Saginaw Power steering box (looking for a good one, but will use this one for mockup).

A section of GM "Double D" steering shaft

A GM intermediate steering shaft piece - not "Double D" - just 3/4" round.

Some slippery plastic - delrin I think.

First I struggled and struggled to find the "right" place to mount the box - to do this I eventually bolted a TEMPORARY tab to the frame with a bunch of holes close to where I thought it might go.

As a point of reference it originally looked like this:

Next was step was to disassemble the factory column and cut the shaft - it was a little bit of a shame to cut this, but I needed to reuse the shaft. For those wondering what I am talking about - on these OLD Fords the steering shaft is INTEGRAL with the steering box - I had to cut the shaft off the factory box - oh well all in the name of progress!

Next was making the bushing - I teetered between going plastic bushing versus a roller bearing and in the end decided that plastic was sufficient if not superior to the roller bearing. I plan on adding a grease fitting to the plastic- just haven't got that far yet. The plastic will "bolt" to the column via 2 or 3 screws.

Then came the intermediate shaft. I machined 2 small flats on the solid shaft - the idea is to weld the "double D" piece to this , but thought that if I use the flats I would never be relying on the weld - not that I don't trust my welds - just thinking why if I don't have to - plus it makes it REAL easy to mock up the parts.

The only thing left is to add the FLATS to the original steering shaft - I probably could have finished that tonight, but I was getting tired (lazy) so I called it quits.

Tomorrow is another day.

Jacin

P.S> I think I may have moved to Step 9!!!!!! At least for THIS part.
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

IT STEERS!!!! OK I am gettin' ahead of myself - there's still no PS PUMP , but the box is mounted, cross link hooked up (needs adjusted) and there is still some welding and tapping plus I absolutely have to trim up the mount - can't have all these hillbilly sharp edges, but it's mounted - looks good and now I can start to work on figuring out the lines and pump! I am totally STOKED!!!!!

Oh yeah time permitting - I will eventually have to add some sort of slip ring to get the horn working. But that's another day....

Here's the new mount - still needs trimmed:

Jacin
Last edited by Racin'Jacin on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Horn shmorn. Just yell obscenities out the window.

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

BP that's what I've done so far. :-)

Jacin
Racin'Jacin

Eeek!

Post by Racin'Jacin »

1 Step forward 2 steps back!!!

Worked all day to get back to where I THOUGHT I was yesterday!!!

Turns out while I did account for spring clearance I did NOT account for the SPRING CLAMP!!!! Ahhhhhrrrggghhh.

So I ended up whittlin' some and welding a bit to trim off the bottom of the bracket and weld an offset tab on there to give some extra clearance. Doesn't look like much but I spent hours and hours figuring it out!!

Oh well I am now looking good again... well until the NEXT thing!!! ha ha ha

Jacin

EDIT: After going back out and mounting everything back up - it dawned on me that there was a better way....I see a revision is in order.. Oh well the only thing it costs me is some time. :-)

Last edited by Racin'Jacin on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

And while you're not yelling obscenities at people, you can yell at your bracket a little too. Sometimes it makes you feel a little better. OK, sometimes it makes ME feel better. Love the tenacity.

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Got the power steering pump mounted!
Need to do some research on the pump speed - as the Hemi lower pulley is pretty small - might be an issue there.

Here's a pic. Not real easy to see, but if you look close you'll see a 1" diameter round shaft behind a triangular piece. Basically there's a heavy plate hanging down off the rear of that round shaft - that plate is what the pump bolts to - the triangular plate up front keeps it from rotating.

Originally the pump mount didn't have that tab in front - I added that to hopefully stabilize it a bit better since my rear mount is hanging in the breeze so to speak. I think it looks like over kill which was exactly what I was shootin' for. :-)

Jacin
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Pulled the steering column back out to add the slip ring. Made that out of a piece of copper water pipe fitting. Most I've seen are brass, hopefully the copper will be fine - we'll see.

Still need to rig up the electrical contact at the horn button and the brush holder, but the column is back in!

Trans cooler lines need re-routed.

Exhaust is nearly done - minor tweaking was required.

Good times!
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

New Years UPDATE: The exhaust is DONE. Of course long term I'd like to rip it all out and redo it in stainless - maybe next year.

Measured up the hoses and got some fittings at the Parker Store on Lakeland Blvd - they bent me over price wise, but I was getting anxious so I paid the inflated prices and was on my way. Test fit the hoses and clocked the fittings - all looks well. Gave them to my buddy Stan who has a crimper at work - hopefully he can get to them soon - I can hardly wait to test this!

Today I was pretty much a SLUG on the couch all day, (my last official day off) but I finally drug my ass off the couch and got to the lathe.

I took a piece of delrin to make a brush holder - the column has a 1/2-13 nut welded to it - this will screw into the nut. I used an old motor brush I had laying around - I wasn't thinking I really needed to broach a square hole so I just hand filed the brush to fit the round hole I drilled. You can see an un-modified brush above the assembly in the pic. Time will tell if this proves to be a good plan or not - if not it's easily replaced!

In the middle of all this I decided I wanted to get a spare set of belts to throw into the toolbox - Ebay to the rescue - I paid 5 bucks apiece for belts - all Gates - and INCLUDING shipping! I'm in no hurry so this was a great (cheap) option!

Ohh wee - Stan JUST called - my hoses are done!!!! and on their way - oh yeah baby!!!!!!!!

To Be CONTINUED!
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Woo Whooo! So far everything seems to be working good! I can't be 100% sure just yet as I was (naturally) low on fluid! ATF is one of those items I can never seem to keep in stock! It seemed to have more resistance one way versus the other, but when I checked the level it was LOW so I will do some more evaluation tomorrow.

Also being the nitwit I am - I managed to put a small tear in the pump housing. Duh - I had no idea the return tube was welded to the housing - when I went to pry it over a bit I put a small tear in the housing. No big deal really - I had planned on taking the pump back off to reroute that line anyways. I was just impatient and wanted to try it tonight so I rushed and goofed a little :-) No sweat - I'll fix it.

Very excited!

Jacin
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Pump fixed, fluid topped off, trans lines redone, everything seems to be working great, but still no test drive until good weather.

I am extremely happy I finally decided to tackle this LONG over due project!! When will this SNOW go away - I am jonesin' for a test drive!!

Back to CHEAP BASTAGE rebuild for my other truck's motor!!!

Jacin
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Went for a short test drive today ---- WOW so far it's awesome, but I may be a tad biased! Just went around the block a couple times, but so far so good!!!! Next up - a freeway jaunt and then hooking up to the dragster trailer and backing it up my narrow driveway - can't wait. woo hoo!

Jacin
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Serious persistence, a cause to celebrate!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Took the '47 on a couple of short freeway jaunts - no problems whatsoever!
If I had any complaints now - it would be that it's TOO easy to steer! (ok not really a complaint!)
I'm so used to having to crank so hard - it's difficult to get used to. I might add some shims to the power steering pump to see if that will make it a little more drag - for lack of the right term.

All in all I am very happy with it - especially given how much $$ I got wrapped up in it.

The other night I added a relay so the factory horn button is actually functional now - very cool!

I may have to start gathering parts and convert my Rambler gasser to have PS as well! It also desperately needs it!

Jacin