Another Mini Project

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Another Mini Project

Post by Basement Paul »

My Grandparents used to own this Crosley Hi-Fi unit. It never worked as long as I've known of it's existence in their basement, next to the bar. The power supply would turn the light on, but that's it. But when my grandfather passed, we cleaned his place out and I thought it was pretty cool, so I took it.

I was rearranging my basement for various and assorted reasons, and got a bug up my but to make the old stereo work again. What I did, was purchase a decent set of computer speakers from Best Buy, remove some various and assorted parts from the Hi-Fi, and now we're making music again! I put the subwoofer into the big box (although that wasn't my original plan) and the two smaller speakers in the small add-on cabinet. So now when I'm downstairs working, I can either plug in my computer or my MP3 player, and have a 2100 song library kicking out all my favorite hits, and it even sounds OK too.

If anyone wants a good gift idea, get me some Guy Lombardo on CD or MP3 and I'll play it for old time sake for my Grandpa...

-BP

Racin'Jacin

Re: Another Mini Project

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Dude, That totally ROCKS! Not only did you save a piece of family history, but you made it better than new!!!

Well Done!!!!!!

Jacin
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Very cool indeed!

Don't laugh, but I've got a Crosley unit from the 30s that belonged to my maternal grandparents over at Lynn Drive. I'll have to show it to you sometime. (They're both still alive (89&88) but wanted their basement cleared out a few years ago in case they needed to "evacuate" to a nursing home.)

My thought was to replace the turntable and woofer/speaker with something a little more modern.

I really like fixing up old family pieces like this and letting them "live on", so to speak.

Then again, maybe I'm just shunning technology or something? :wink:
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I figured if I tried to make it work the way it was, I would NEVER use it. The way I have it now, I'll use it every time I'm down here getting work done (like right now for instance). Not to mention it was really inexpensive.

I can't wait to see it!

-BP