Metal shrinking disc

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

Metal shrinking disc

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Hey anyone use one of these things before? I just ordered one - any tips would be great!
These have always intrigued me - I know I shoulda just made one...maybe next time! :-)

Jacin
Basement Paul

Re: Metal shrinking disc

Post by Basement Paul »

"The Amazing Metal Shrinking Disc"!!!

Do you have a link to one? I'm not sure what it is...

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Here's a video of one - I previously always used a torch, but have heard so much about how nice the discs are - I figured I'd try one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8cruauERmI

Jacin
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks kind of cool (or hot). I don't have enough metalworking experience to have an opinion though. They mention using it to smooth welds. There I have a hard time believing it's the right tool. And for dents poking out, it looks to work OK, but if they go the other way and you can't get to them, it looks to not be too useful.

If you get one, I'd be interested to see how well it works. Since you have moved more metal than just about anybody I know, it would be cool to hear your opinion.

Good luck,

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I like the idea so much I bought a disk and backing plate. The F150 has lots of dings and bumps to work out. The disk came with a really good video that spent more time on bumping techniques and a home-made "slapper" tool made out of an old spring than on using the shrinking disk. VERY helpful video. Think I'll be spending a lot of hours reshaping the panels.

Hope you'll report your results with the disk.
Maverick
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

A bit overdue,, but I finally got round to trying out my shrinking disc. I gotta say after using it for a couple days - I have to give it big thumbs up!!! I think one of the things that makes it kinda cool is that the simple geometry of it all - meaning it automatically hits the high spots (well the concentrated ones anyways) -that's kinda handy in of itself. It wasn't particularly fast at shrinking (which is actually OK for me since I am just learning the thing) I might try some more RPM when I get another chance to see if that will speed things up at all.

I gotta say I am GLAD I bought this thing and look forward to using it again. For this project I only used the BIG one - I bought a set a 4" I think and a 6 or 8" one. I was thinking the larger one would work faster, but I never got around to trying the smaller one yet...2B continued.

I should have taken some pics - but I was too lazy. Maybe next time.

Lots of CAUTION is needed while using this - you are spinning a heavy disc - I can imagine it could get real ugly if you're not careful!!!
Jacin