1981 F150 Super Cab

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

1981 F150 Super Cab

Post by Maverick »

Bro Willy in AZ has a rust-free 1981 F150 Super Cab (2 doors, just an extra foot behind the doors) with AC, PS, PB, cruise, ... He wants me to have it and that will be my new project.

The left front fender, headlight bezel, splash pan, bumper, and radiator support are damaged.

Also the right side of the bed.

WXO and I did a junk yard crawl today. We removed a rust-free, dent free left front fender with correct trim from an '84 F150. The headlight bezel had already been removed and was there waiting to be picked up. Got them both for $59 incl tax.

I should go back and get the radiator support. Splash guard was missing and the bumper wasn't in great shape.

An old buddy (George, best man in wedding 50 years ago) and I will fly out to Tucson 10/20 and drive the F150 back to Raleigh. We plan to spend a week or so getting the truck ready for the 2100 mile drive. May swap a different bed onto the truck to eliminate the damaged right side. We're both excited about the road trip and we'll no doubt make some memories. When I warned George that the old truck may have some problems on the way his comments were, "That'll just add to the adventure" and "I've had some really good times with break downs". Hope I can match his attitude. 8)

The plan is swap a lot of the good parts (engine, trans, trans controller, shifter, maybe radiator, T-bird elect fan and fan controller) from the '70 F100 into the F150 and return the F100 to son Barry. He prefers to have the good 300 I6 and automatic (C6, I believe) in his truck and I MUCH prefer the 5.8L/351W and overdrive 4R70W automatic.
Maverick
Maverick

Re: 1981 F150 Super Cab

Post by Maverick »

George and I arrived at bro Willy's on Monday, 10/20. We've been working every day and have the front sheet metal transferred from a donor '81 F150 regular cab. We're having a good time. I'm chief cook and George is in charge of cleanup.
Willy is re-sealing the C6 trans and has the carb disassembled to make sure its OK. He'll also change the leaking pinion seal in the rear end.

Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

We made it back to Raleigh at 12:30 AM today. 2274 total miles.

Before we left AZ:

. C6 tranny pulled, resealed, and reinstalled. It worked GREAT.
. Pinion seal replaced. There was NO crush cylinder on the pinion shaft!! One was installed along with the new seal. No noise and no leaks when Willy was done.
. Front fenders, radiator support, stone guard, bumper, inner fenders, and hood transferred from the donor. Seams are far from perfect so, if I do this truck (more later), the front end will all come off again and get re-fitted.
. Aircraft throttle cable installed as a shifter. Not the best, but it did the job.
. Five good-looking old tires and wheels put together for the trip. One wasn't so good. It blew out at 70 MPH at night on Interstate 40 East of Memphis.

We couldn't get the truck very far off the road and in the dark it was too dangerous to change the left side wheel without a vehicle between me and oncoming traffic. Called AAA but learned they are useless in the country. They didn't show. Called 911 without knowing exactly where we were. A car was dispatched from Memphis but their range ends at Mile Marker 60. Since we were a couple of miles further East, they turned back and notified the Jackson THP. About an hour later, a friendly trooper showed up, parked his car, with lights flashing, behind the truck and I felt safe enough to change the tire. I had oiled up the original F150 jack and installed it in its place under the hood but also intended to throw a better one in the bed of the truck. Didn't get that done so I pulled out the original. The trooper looked at it and offered me a better scissor jack, which I accepted. (More on the jack later.)
With the trooper's car for protection, and his jack, the spare was on the truck in a few minutes and we were on the way.

We didn't want to go far on the spare (and with no other) so we pulled into Jackson, TN and spent the night. Next morning we went to Sam's Club and bought two new tires to replace the shredded one and the leaky spare. After about 50 miles, the left front new tire was rumbling so we pulled of at an exit in the middle of nowhere and parked the truck in the only flat, fairly level place we could find -- halfway blocking the entrance to a dirt road/driveway. ONE OF THE NEW TIRES WAS FLAT!!! George just finished his pee when the apparent owner of the dirt road showed up in his truck, pulled around us and disappeared down his dirt road. So, out came the original F150 jack and I attempted to raise the left front wheel. The jack wouldn't do it -- the gears stripped. Our luck wasn't ALL bad though, we had stopped across the road from an isolated, old country tow operation. A guy in biker leather pants, no shirt and no shoes loaned me a floor jack and we got the flat off and the spare on.

But, the drum brake wheel scraped on the front disk calipers. :shock: So, we pulled the truck over, scraping, to his parking lot, borrowed the floor jack and a jack stand, and swapped the left front and rear wheels to eliminate the rub. The biker dude put on his shirt and boots and hopped on his bike for a trip to Nashville. No more tire issues. :D

George called a nearby Walmart and asked if they would replace the ruined tire from Sam's Club. Said they would and we were on our way there. We checked into a motel and, in the morning, with a lot of difficulty, we got a replacement tire and were, according to Willy Nelson, "On the Road Again".
. Blower motor bypass. The blower motor wouldn't run. It, and the multi-speed resistors, are under the hood and easy to pull. I pulled them and found plant debris all over the heater core and RESISTOR SPIRALS. That was a fire waiting to happen. Cleaned out the debris and found that the problem was lack of power to the switch and resistors. Not sure what the problem was there -- all the fuses were good and none missing. As a quick fix, we ran a wire from the battery thru a self-resetting circuit breaker, and a switch on the cab floor, to the wire on the heater motor that made everything work. With that jumper attached, the 3-speed fan control switch functioned. Should have been more careful about the routing of the wire -- it got up against the exhaust tube for the air pump, burned the insulation off and shorted out. While we were doing something under the hood, George noticed a clicking noise and the jumper wire jumping. :mrgreen: A quick splice and a reroute and the blower was functioning again. Good thing 'cause we needed it to clear the windshield smears (see below).

Repairs on the road:

. Tires, as above.
. Fuel pumpSSSS. When climbing a hill, with throttle above half, the engine would starve for fuel. We're not going to make it thru the Smokey's like that. We pulled off in a little Texas town with a cluster of auto parts stores. (George's I-phone was REALLY handy for locating things we needed and navigating to the stores.) First, an AutoZone fuel pump. It wouldn't prime, even with starting fluid to run the engine. Then and O'Reilly pump. Lasted 10 minutes. OK, reinstall the old pump and ease across the street to a Ford dealer to get a FOMOCO pump. Of course, none in stock. But Bryan's Auto Supply, "just down the road a piece", had an AirTech pump which was supposed to be a very reliable brand. :?: You gotta know who you're talking to when a Texan tells you about a short distance. I hoofed it there and arrived at 2 minutes to closing. Installed the AirTech and it seemed OK. Then, after replacing fuel pumps more times than I can count, it came to me that the fuel problem was occurring when the tank was lower than it had been before, about 1/4. Maybe the problem is with the pickup tube???? Maybe it won't pick up the last 5-6 gallons for some reason? We kept the tank at least 1/2 full and had no more fuel problems after that.
. Windshield smears. When driving in the rain, the windshield would fog up BAD. Try to wipe the fog off, and it would SMEAR like crazy. We cleaned the windshield, inside and out, several times with a variety of cleaners and it was still BAD. We made it home by running the heater on full (no control of where the air comes out but MOST was coming out the defrosters.) Today I parked the truck in the garage and when my wife came home this evening she said, "something is leaking under the truck.") Its the heater core. :( Apparently the heater core was leaking coolant which was condensing onto the windshield causing the fog and smears. Another breakdown was not too far away since the coolant was down 10-12" in the radiator. Glad we made it home. Not sure we could have handled another breakdown.

In spite of all the issues, this has been a fun trip for George and me. The truck isn't all I hoped for -- it needs almost everything. Financially, I'd be better off with a better truck. But, the trip wasn't primarily about the truck. I wanted to spend some time working on a project with my brother who's health is failing. When George offered to join me for the trip that was a big bonus. I'm not sure what I'll do with the truck in the long run but, in the short run, I'll be keeping it.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Quite the adventure :D
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

A little more on police encounters -- there were three. First in Arizona, we went thru a checkpoint no doubt looking for illegals and drugs. A white cop on one side and a Mexican on the other just laughed at two old fogies in a beat up pickup and waved us thru without noticing (or caring?) there was no plate on the truck.

In Texas, we went by a trooper parked in an SUV and he immediately pulled out, caught up, and pulled us over. Once he checked my driver's license for wants and warrants he got friendly. He stopped us because there was no clearly visible license plate. All I had was an 8.5X11" sheet of paper 10-day transport permit from NC. The paper was in a zip-lock bag duct taped to the back window. When I explained that was all I got from NC he was OK with it.

The 10-day permit was another story but I won't bore ya'll with that fiasco.

Third encounter was the friendly Tennessee HP officer that kept us safe while changing the flat on I-40.
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

That was a great read! Especially biker guy in leather pants, no shirt, no shoes. I've never driven cross-country and want to take some time to do so.

-Dave
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

If you do a cross-country drive, take a friend with similar interests and LOTS of patience. I'd be in the loony bin if George hadn't been there to locate and call all the businesses we needed to contact.

When they tried to leave to drive home to Michigan yesterday PM, there was a flat on his Expedition. :evil: Took COSTCO 4 hours to diagnose and repair a nail hole in the right rear. Hope he NEVER has another flat.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Friend Jim came over and helped me remove the hoods from both trucks. Since then the radiator, shroud, fan, and drive shaft have been removed from the F150 and the trans support cross member unbolted. Got 351W engine supports for the F150 from Bullock Salvage. One has been cleaned, derusted and painted and the other is in the rust dissolver.

Today WXO and I made a 50+ mile trip down to Smithfield to a small salvage yard that advertised an '84 F150 for parts. We got complete doors (current doors need one glass, one window regulator, and various internal parts) with power windows and locks. Unfortunately, the doors were both dented -- one only slightly. Guts from new doors will be used in the shells from the current doors. Also got the wiring harness for the power doors/locks, 4 barrel carb, stainless air cleaner with cold air intake from the radiator support, wheel caps and chrome rings, trans cooler and lines, 90 degree thermostat housing, newly rebuilt starter, and a few other things. Weather was very nice -- sunny 60+ degrees.

It was great that WXO took time away from his myriad home improvements in process to help with the junk yard run. A squamous cell cancer was removed from my forehead yesterday with a nearly 2" long incision. I wasn't supposed to be doing anything strenuous today. Everything went well.

We stopped for gas and noticed a Mexican Pizza place :?: next to the gas station. Communication with staff was difficult but the pizza was surprisingly good. Good crust!!

The plan is to work on the trucks, not as my main activity like the previous projects, but just as background work when there's nothing urgent I should be doing. Its going to take years no doubt. The '81 F150 will be 35 years old in 2016 and will no longer require NC inspections. 2016 sounds like a good target to get it "On the Road Again". :)
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

[quote= 2016 sounds like a good target to get it "On the Road Again". :)[/quote]

My newly acquired wheels & slicks can't wait 'til 2016. :mrgreen:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:
2016 sounds like a good target to get it "On the Road Again". :)[/quote wrote:
My newly acquired wheels & slicks can't wait 'til 2016. :mrgreen:
We'll have to make a trip with the TB before then.

This morning I replaced a wobbly old worn out el cheapo vise with a nice Craftsman 5.5" vise Willy gave me. That will be a big improvement. :D

Maverick
Maverick

Temptation

Post by Maverick »

Haven't done much on this project yet. The engine/transmission are ready to come out except I can't break one of the crossmember bolts loose. Must have put it on with Willy's super duper impact wrench. The nuts are 18 mm and the bolts are long enough to need a deep socket. Also, given how tight the nut is, it should have a 6-point socket. "Walt's Tool Supply" had some deep 1/2 drive metric sockets but no 18 mm. So, ordered a set of 1/2" drive metric deep sockets from Harbor Freight for $20. The box came today but instead of the sockets this was in the box. http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-lb-el ... 61297.html $120 item on sale for $80 but I only paid $20. Hmmmm. I was tempted but did the right thing and called HF to let them know of their mistake. They emailed a return shipping authorization that I have to take to FedEx along with the re-boxed item. The socket set should arrive next week. Got another week's worth of procrastination excuses. :roll:
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

The deep metric 1/2" drive sockets arrived but I've been down with a stubborn cold. Can't stop coughing. So, didn't get back at the too-tight nuts on the trans cross member till yesterday. Even WXO's "Earthquake" impact wrench wouldn't budge them. But, a 4' tube on my long breaker bar got them loose. Engine is all undone and ready to be lifted out except for the two motor mount nuts.

WXO came over today and we did a cylinder leak down test on the Windsor. Wanted to see if any valves were bent and leaking. No valve leaks. :D I think I'll still pull the heads off to look for witness marks from the valves on the pistons. Something is making noise in the valve train.

I had read about cylinder leak down tests but never done one. They're very useful for identifying valve leaks, head gasket leaks and blowby. Got this tool from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/OTC-5609-Cylinder ... tester+kit

The tester is attached to an air compressor and a spark plug hole. The piston is positioned at TDC following the compression stroke and air pressure is applied to the cylinder. The left gauge reads the pressure from the compressor and the right gauge reads the pressure maintained in the cyl. A fixed flow of air goes into the cyl and the pressure maintained in the cyl indicates how much is leaking out of the cyl. If its leaking past the rings, a hiss can be heard in the oil fill tube. If its leaking past the intake valve, a hiss can be heard in the intake. If its leaking past the exhaust valve, the hiss will be audible in the exhaust pipe. If the head gasket is leaking into the coolant, bubbles can be seen in the radiator.

To get a good test for blow by, the engine should be run recently and warm. Since the Windsor is out of the truck, we couldn't get a good test for blow by but I'm not worried about that. The good news is none of the valves were leaking. I'll still pull the heads to check for piston-valve collisions.

Had another thought, though. The bargain headers had warped flanges which a machine shop resurfaced. But, they didn't remove all of the warpage. The headers will be removed and checked for leakage. Sometimes header leaks sound like valve noise. Doubt that's the case here but its worth a check.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Got the heads off the Windsor. No leakage was evident in the header gaskets. The intake valves WERE touching the pistons. JUST touching in all cyl except #1 where a small dent on the edge of the dish was apparent. Hope the small dent in #1 piston (on right in the pic) can be seen in the upper right area and a small shiny spot in the same location on #2 (on left in the pic).

The cold intake valves need .080" gap to the piston when they are closest, which is not at TDC. The intake valve is opening at TDC and chases the piston on the intake stroke getting closest ATDC. A pad of Play Dough on top of the piston is used to record the smallest gap. I took a picture of the test Play Dough but the pic was way out of focus so no point in posting it. Clearance looked OK.

With the pistons all marked by the intake valves, the dish needed to be extended a bit to provide P-V clearance. A 41 mm socket is a little bigger than the intake valves and was used to scribe a mark. Tape protected the gap around the piston, a piece of 80 grit sanding belt removed some material, and 400 grit paper smoothed the area.

Head and header gaskets are ordered from RockAuto. Already had some intake and valve cover gaskets.

Sure HOPE this eliminates the valve noise but, if not, I'll no longer be worried about piston-to-valve collisions and bent valves.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

The engine is still apart. I decided to pursue, while the heads were off, the possibility that the valve springs are too stiff for the lifters and are collapsing the lifters. Good thing I did because it looks like that is the case.

WXO and I took the assembled heads, push rods, and a lifter to Boyette's machine shop, downtown Raleigh -- Boyette's prepared the Windsor block for the carbed top end kit -- so they could check things out and see if they could identify the cause of the valve noise. Doug took one valve spring off and measured the closed (180#) and open (400# at .500" lift) pressures. He was SURE the valves would be noisy with the Comp Cam hydraulic roller lifters and those springs. Said those springs were appropriate for solid roller lifters, not hydraulic. He also looked up the specs on the Comp Cam lifters and found the max spring pressure should be about (don't recall the exact number) 300#.

Called Senior, the engine builder that assembled the heads, and he was adamant that the PBM 3425 springs were right for my valve train. Said there was no way those springs would have 400# pressure at .500" lift (like Doug measured). Also said they would be noisy, "just the nature of the beast". So, I now had two really good engine builders telling me conflicting things.

Got the spring brand and model number from Senior and contacted PBM to get the specs for the 3425 springs: 160# closed and 365# at .500" lift. PBM guy said those springs would for sure be noisy with the Comp Cam lifters and recommended changing the springs to some with 100#-120# closed and 280#-320# open pressures.

So, now I need to change the springs and Senior, since he thinks nothing is wrong, isn't going to change them under warrantee. Didn't even suggest it to him. I'll take the heads to Boyette's and have them put Comp Cam springs appropriate for a .550" lift cam. It would have cost me $200 for two round trips to Charlotte if Senior would change the springs. That's about what its going to cost, depending on how many parts have to be replaced, to have Boyette's do it locally. And, I'll get to keep all the current parts just in case Senior is right and I need to change back for some reason.

The take-away from this confusing episode in amateur engine building is: if you're building a street engine consult with a street engine builder. Senior's heritage is race engines. Boyette's builds a lot of street performance engines. The noisy valves are no big deal to Senior while Doug at Boyette's would have recommended springs that would have avoided the noise. Still learning when people call me "elderly". :evil:
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Seems like having other people build an engine is just as much a headache as doing it yourself
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]