1989 Firebird Formula 350

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

Re: 1989 Firebird Formula 350

Post by ttamrettus »

New gas tank is in. New tiresmoke fuel pump is in. Wires and lines connected (at least temporarily). The guy has rubber hose and clamps on the lines, that's fine for all except the high pressure feed line. Once I get it running I'll come back and put fittings on it. I put 2 gallons of fresh gas in it and it would not start, the VDO fuel pressure gauge that the guy had plumbed in the fuel rail read 0. So I loosened the fuel supply line by the tank, there was gas, so I loosened the inlet side of the filter, fuel there, loosened the outlet side of the filter, fuel there, loosened the supply line by the front of the engine block, fuel there, removed the VDO pressure gauge, fuel there. So I figure the gauge is bad. I also discovered that the vacuum inlet on the fuel pressure regulator (adjustable type) is broken off and someone tried to silicone it back on. While looking there I discovered the distributor is loose. So I figure it does have fuel pressure, it's just that the distributor turned, so it's too far out of time. It's pretty darn loose. So this week I will be buying a new adjustable fuel pressure regulator, pressure gauge and distributor bolt wrench. It's a TIGHT squeeze in there.

edit - ordered new filter, regulator & gauge from Summit.
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I didn't get as much time to work on the Firebird as I would have liked to. Yasmina had to work Saturday so I had Alex. Well I can tell you with an only child who is 6, you NOTHING done with him around. Anyway Before soccer on Sunday I took the plenum off, went to replace the broken adjustable fuel pressure regulator only to find out Hypertech only supplies the housing, screw and aluminum washer. No regulator, so I had to chase down the gasket and spring assembly that make up the internals. I verify that it gets fuel at this point by clicking the key. Get the regulator together and go to put the plenum back on but the screws don't want to go back in at all. So instead of muscling it I decide to wait until after soccer and chase the holes.

So after soccer I chase the holes, reinstall the plenum, the throttle body and all the lines/wires. Hit the key and instant 40psi of fuel. Check for leaks, none. Turn the engine over however it doesn't start. Grab the timing light and verify each wire has power (all 8 make the light flash). So I am down to the timing is way off or the injectors are all clogged / not getting power (I have to check that next). So next is to ohm the injectors, pull the plugs (or as many as I can with the emissions/stock manifolds still attached. I didn't want to yank that stuff until after it ran), find top dead center on #1 and check the timing. If it doesn't start then, it's time to pull the injectors. I do find it difficult to believe all 8 are clogged though.

But it is closer and I feel like I'm making progress albeit SLOW.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm with you. No way it's all the injectors. I'm going with distributor way off too. Especially if all are showing power to the plugs.

I can't wait to see what it is. Good luck!

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I ohm'ed the injectors and they al read at 14.8 to 14.9 ohms. I am told 16 is normal and 10 or below is bad. I then purchased a noid light and it pulses when the engine cranks. The light however was NOT very bright so I attached a voltmeter to the injector harness output and read the voltage while cranking. It was 0.33 volts. I think it needs to be roughly 12volts.

So I took a 12volt battery I had and manually tried to actuate the injectors to see if I could hear them click, I believe I could. Then I tried to crank the car and it fired once on like 2 cylinders. I am guessing because I manually operated the injectors letting fuel in the cylinder. So I just have to figure out why the harness doesn't produce 12 volts.

---- EDIT ----
I also bought a TDC bolt for the plug hole and will be pulling the rocker cover to double check the timing. Likely tomorrow. I was also chasing wires and discovered that they guy had NOT connected the MSD6AL, so I pulled it and the wires off. The MSD blaster coil is wired in though and it looks correct.
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

SUCCESS -- sort of. The car starts............It won't idle but if I keep it about 2500-3000 it will run. So next is to make sure everything is hooked up correctly and it is timed right. It has been apart for a while so I need to double check everything.

BUT it does RUN. So I guess I don't need to part it out just yet.

New fuel tank, new pump, new filter, new regulator and new injectors. The old injector coils wouldn't even cycle the injector I was told (I had sent them out to be cleaned and was told they were beyond saving). MORAL of he story, don't let gas sit in your car for YEARS. bad things happen.
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

We need some real pics of the car now that it runs.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Awesome! I bet it actually sounds pretty cool too. Hopefully the idling problem is a pretty simple fix. I might be inclined to retighten all the intake manifold and plenum bolts...

Yes, pictures or video would be cool.

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Ask and you shall receive. From today.

View My Video

So now I need to concentrate on my truck and get it on the road before I work on the Formula.
BUT the next step on the Formula is headers. Likely Shorty since they should be easier to install. Then to make sure it has no leaks and if it moves under it's own power.
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Moral of the story. When you buy a car that has been sitting for 8+ years with some gas in the system just bite the bullet and replace everything.

Tank - check
Fuel pump - check (thanks to tiresmoker)
Filter - check
Adjustable regulator - check
Pressure gauge - check
Injectors - check
All O-rings - check

I did it one piece at a time hoping each would fix it and it didn't. The last piece of the puzzle was the Bosch / Ford fuel injectors.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Sounds real healthy. That car will be a lot of fun once you get to driving regularly. I like the alignment posters on the wall. I remember bringing those home.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Nice!!!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

So last night I buttoned up the fuel lines at the tank, covered the pump wires and installed the access panel cover. Today I installed the sheet metal covers that go over the tank under the car. I also installed the new sway bar end links. The old ones were so brittle when I jacked up the car they cracked and fell off. The tires are unidirectional and I had not paid attention last time I had them off so 2 were backwards. I went and installed them correctly. Lastly I put the new cat back exhaust system under the car. It is not hung or connected yet but it is over the axle and under the car. I need to buy hangers (all the OE ones are gone) and figure out how to connect it to the existing Y pipe. The previous owner cut the converter off (N90 dual) so I have 2, 2-1/2" pipes that were sawz-alled at the ends. I figure I need a 2-1/2" to 3" Y pipe and then I can connect them.
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I cleaned the garage so I had some room to maneuver around and I worked on the Firebird today, sort of. I crawled under the car with the Y pipe (header into 3" flowmater piece) and bits and piece of exhaust adapters I had. I realized it's a job better left to a professional with a lift and a welder. Since the factory Y (manifold to cat) pipe was hacked up I would have just hacked it up more. So I decided I would have it towed to the exhaust place when ready. At this point I needed to make sure the car would drive on and off the lift at the exhaust shop. I cleaned out the interior. checked the coolant and oil. I charged the battery and fired it up. I warmed it up for about 5 minutes and checked the trans fluid. It did not register on the dipstick so I added half a quart. I then checked under the car and saw a little trans fluid on the floor and am hoping it's from the dipstick tube but I haven't climbed under because the car was hot. I then fired it up again to check the gauges an such. The car idled fine, the fuel pressure good, the oil pressure good but the coolant temp kept climbing to 240 and the fan didn't kick on. I know the water pump works because I could see the coolant move when I topped it off. So I am hoping it just needs a new thermostat (since the car sat for 10 years). I do need to figure out why the fans didn't switch on. Overall the engine idled for about 15 minutes and didn't really leak anything except for the trans fluid when I put some in.

So maybe tomorrow will be me removing the trans cover to look for the leak and installing the new thermostat I bought. It sounds so so good though.
Matt Sutter
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

IF the guy looking at the whole thing this week or just the shell don't get it, I MIGHT email your guy.
Matt Sutter