TRP, Jun 5

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

TRP, Jun 5

Post by TireSmoker »

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Th ... 44086:4:US

Anyone wanna go out to TRP on Wed? Tony is gonna take his Chevelle out for the first time. I'll be there with... something other than my Chevelle.

-Dave
MostMint

Re: TRP, Jun 5

Post by MostMint »

Take the bike and get Mike and Chris out there for some grudge matches 8)
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Sounds like fun, but I have tooooo much going on around here... Good luck to Tony!

Hopefully he'll be within reach of the Caddy when I'm back together.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

We had near-perfect conditions last night. Clear, cool, and low car count. Unfortunately, despite getting there at 6:30, we only got 1 time run before eliminations. Tony and I ran heads up, which was his first pass with the new 350. Previous best with his 307/2bbl was 16.80. His first run was a strong 14.16 @ 94, and he clearly let up early, not knowing where the finish line was. The Cobalt ran a 14.29 @ 100.

Eliminations were up next, and we both ran in Stock class. I went first, and despite miserable reaction times, I had the guy covered, and hit the brakes. Tony took my helmet, and dialed 13.99. Had he not been asleep at the tree, he could've pulled it out, running a very respectable 14.02 @ 101. In the 2nd round, I was dialed 14.25 against a Fox mustang dialed in at 14.21. I killed him on the tree (rather, he killed himself with a horrible tree) and I was in front of him and pulling away before 330 ft, again hitting the brakes for the win. The 3rd round would be my undoing. I came up against a 4th gen Z28 dialed in at 13.65. He had a good enough tree to beat me and my car bobbled on the 1-2 shift, slowing me to a 14.4x. He ran 13.69 and took the win. The bummer of it was that had I won, I would've been in the final, as the ZL1 Camaro pictured got the by-run, and then didn't show up for the next round, leaving the guy I lost to in the final against a new '11 or '12 5.0 mustang dialed in at 12.85.

Both of us would get our best runs on the final time run of the night. We lined up, and I got a *perfect* launch with my car, netting me a 14.10 @ 103. (with .043 reaction time!) Tony had a great run too, beating my ET by going 13.95 @ 101.

The pic of the timeslips are all Tony's. Carb has a *terrible* bog in transition, but once going pulls strong.

So, he had his first-ever pass in the 14s, and then his first-ever in the 13s. I made 5 passes without lighting up the red bulb and went a couple rounds.

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Congratulations to Tony, into the 13's and over 100 mph. Wow!
That little SS just keeps impressing us, multiple rounds adds to the fun. :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

As an aside, near the end of the night, Jim Speck came up and said hello. If you don't remember the name, you certainly remember the car if you were at TDR in the 90s -- green '74 Monte Carlo with dual-quad tunnel ram big block, running mid 11s. He hasn't raced in 7+ years and was out there with someone else.

-Dave
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Jim hasn't raced in 7 years, but that doesn't mean he hasn't blown up three motors in the meantime trying.

His latest effort was a 596 BBC with new Dart heads that somehow threw a valve and lunched most of the motor. :(

But I didn't break.....and ran 13s....and am still smiling. :mrgreen:

DNS - many, many thanks for your help along the way. :D