"Car" #46

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

"Car" #46

Post by Basement Paul »

Taking up more of my time is my newest acquisition, a 2003 Blazer ZR2. I bought this one just over a month ago and have been so busy with working on it, my S-10, and the Caddy, that I haven't had too much time to get online and post about it.

The Blazer has 89k miles on it, and is pretty much as loaded as they came with a sunroof, 6CD in dash changer, power seat, and steering wheel controls. Overall it's in pretty nice condition, with a few little paint bubbles just in front of the rear wheels (a common problem with these). When I got it it was missing the front lower valence and fender flare extensions attached to the bumper.

Since I got it, I've given it a complete wax job, RainX'd all the windows, replaced the lower valence and fender flare extensions, replaced the rear spare tire cover, installed new spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor. I bought a new K&N (yeah K&N) replacement air filter off ebay, and drilled out the air intake opening (it's about 4" now) in the airbox. I installed a throttle body spacer also to help improve mileage (I'm barely over 17mpg for now). I also cut down the damper on the underside of the throttle blade to help increase throttle response. Last week the mass air flow sensor took a dump, so I pulled the one off my S-10 and put it on. The S-10 got a new Granitelli one which is noticably larger and helped push my boost to just about 10psi from just under 9psi.

I don't have a good picture of it yet, but look below to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I like it because it has the factory off road package with 31" tires, a factory lift kit with real skid plates, locking differential, Bilstein shocks, a bigger 8.5" rear axle, and 3.73 gears. I also painted the hitch and front hooks, and the spare tire latch (a big bracket on the tailgate).

The only problem it has now is that it leaks engine oil. The longer it sits without driving it, the worse it leaks. I haven't researched it yet, but I'm guessing there's something wrong with the oil pan (aluminum cast).

-BP
ttamrettus

Re: "Car" #46

Post by ttamrettus »

sell the Saturn?
Matt Sutter
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

For some reason I saw this post and thought:
"We want to race the truck..." I think that's
my Saab's way of calling you out!!!

GM
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Let's call it a "duel-in-the-snow". 4 wheel drives forever!

Final, a class my Silverado can compete in.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

With the recent updates to the ZR2, I think the race would be pretty close on dry pavement, but if we went the whole quarter, 31" tires and aerodynamics would get the best of me. I would need a DEEP snow or a bigger exhaust to really be able to run with that little 4X4 wannabe. How about a tug of war or maybe a MUDPIT (echo echo echo)?

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

TUG OF WAR!!!!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I'm pretty certain you'd win in a giant MUDPIT.... but what if we took the confrontation
to "the ditch"??!!! ... We could rumble under a sign that says "Jimmy parking only" !!!!

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Here's what it really looks like:

Once it got over 32 degrees today, I went outside and washed it up. Since last posting I've replace the transmission filter and fluid, and replace the rear differential fluid with synthetic. Since the weather got cruddy, I put the snow tires on the Saturn and have been driving it every day.

Merry Xmas everybody.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

BP .... I think I own a sweet transmission valve body that'll be sweet in that hot rod.... Remind me to talk to you about it.....

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I spent some time last week verifying where the engine oil leak is coming from and I'm now sure it's the rear main. After some research online, I figured I'd try Bars Leak Rear Main Sealer. My logic is that if it slows it down or stops it, I'm money ahead, if not, it only cost me $8. Since I've put it in, I haven't driven it enough to work. The bottle says 100 miles before you should see it work. I'm about half that, but the weather should be nice this week so I plan to put some miles on.

I also replaced the front differential fluid with synthetic. I'm sure it has never been changed and was a little low too.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Soooo, the mystery oil didn't do anything. I'm almost inclined to think it made it worse, but I can't tell that for sure. Either way, it's time to get an estimate to get it fixed. I know me enough to know that I could fix it, but better not.

Since I'm wierd and don't drive my 4X4 in the snow, I'll wait until the weather breaks to take it in.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So now that I'm driving the Blazer everyday, I started realizing how much the original seats are messing with my lower back. I've repaired the internals of the stock seats metal bars a couple times now, and even added a lumbar attachement out of a different seat but it still messes with me. Not to mention I'm dirty all the time and this seat collects dust and dirt like crazy.

Being that I like leather seats more because they're usually more comfortable and easier to clean, I went searching ebay for a set of decent used ones. My 2 door Blazer never came with leather seats as an option so I had to find a set from a four door. The seats I bought are the right dark charcoal color, but come with more options than the seats I have in there. In fact, my original factory seat was manual, only the driver's side was powered.

Both new seats came with all power controls, heat, and lumber controls. The long and short of it is that my current wiring harness powers the driver's seat just fine, but I give up the heat, lumber and memory controls. This is OK with me. What I had to do though, was add a harness to power the passengers seat so I went to pull-a-part, lopped one out of another 2 door Blazer, made an extension harness and spliced it into the "new" one I bought, and Wha-La, the passenger's seat is now powered and leathery too.

The seats I bought are not brand new, but look period correct and are not all messed up. Best of all, they're actually really comfortable on my back and it makes it easier to get in and out of since it's pretty tall. The only issue with these seats is that it makes it REALLY hard to get into the back seats since they don't have a tilt forward function (from a 4 door).

I also changed the oil to a high mileage synthetic today too.

-BP