Going to shake down the Sentra tonight... :roll:

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Any results?
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I struggled with vapor lock almost all night. Of course I never had a problem on the street but I knew that the lower heater hose resting on the fuel pump and the fuel line was going to be a problem.

And it was. the first two passes were 17.20 and 17.15 with a lot of vapor lock. The car would empty the fuel bowl then just lose power. So I put water on it and let it cool for a while. Then I ran 16.68 with vapor lock, though less, and time runs were over.

Yikes I dialed 16.60 and came up against a 16.55 dial. I cut a weak .685 and there was a short stint of vapor lock but the car came back. I had the guy covered by a mile but just missed breaking out running 16.61 at 77 mph.

My brothers and Dad all got beat in round 1. BP had a decent run but just got beat - the others tripped the red bulb. The Nissan was faster than the Ford Ranger, somewhere in the 18's.

What to dial? I cut it to 16.50 and ran again - this time against a C5 dialed 11.98. This time there was no vapor lock and I had the guy covered by a ton, but I still broke out running 16.07 at 66 mph. Well now I am starting to think I could run 15.70's.

So it set up a showdown with the Vette and the 87 Cutlass in time runs. I put down a .504 light and ran 15.72 at 86.86 mph. The Cutlass ran 15.49 at 86.77, but John cut a .909 and lost. The gearing and the 4-speed automatic really helped him from about 60' until I made it to second gear, but then he was done and couldn't pull any more.

There was a nice 74 Vette there. I talked to the guy quite a bit. He had done a lot of work, including repalcing the frame with a new one, and the car was painted Viper blue. He had 3.90 gear, 2500 stall, aluminum intake and real dual exhausts, but could only muster 15.30's. I tiold him that his car should be a second faster in the 1/4 - somehting simple had to be off. Hope he saw my last pass.

Then there was the guy who told me my carb needed rebuilt...
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Well,

The Sentra ran a consistent 18.66, 18.63, and and 18.65 on an 18.6 dial in in the first round. I cut a .617 light to his .55x, and he lifted to the tune of a 13.05 on a 13.04 dial. I thought I would have done OK with that run, but somehow the stick shift LeMans pulled a good run out. He did go on to win the event in Animal.

More importantly, the Ranger and Sentra squared off in time trials and the Sentra had him covered by only a couple tenths. I think the Ranger ran an 18.8x @ 71mph where the Sentra's run was a .66 @ just over 72mph. It was a very exciting race to watch... :roll:

-BP
Fred32v

Family outing at TRP

Post by Fred32v »

Most of what happened this fateful night has already been told above.
Here is the pictorial.
Johnny442 Burnout ............................................115 HorsePower........................................Vette
ImageImageImage
PreRace Discussion............................................Truck vs Car ...........................................Trash talking
ImageImageImage
Red lites were not fun and the 18.88 from a Ranger that ran 18.32 in
October of 04 was slightly disappointing, but when your at TRP it's ALWAYS fun! :D