TRP Wednesday September 12th

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

TRP Wednesday September 12th

Post by Basement Paul »

Tonight I installed the new drag radials on the Caddy (still need a test drive tomorrow night), and I plan to take it Wed night, even if I get there late.

The high Wed should be about 80, but I expect by race time it will be around 70 deg or less. Hopefully my new carb performs as well on the track as it does on the street.

Hope to see you there.

-BP
Basement Paul

Re: TRP Wednesday September 12th

Post by Basement Paul »

Last night was reasonably successful. The car made it home under it's own power...

I made four passes. My first and worst was a 14.10 at 96mph. My best was my first round of eliminations and was a 13.89 at 98mph with a 1.99 60'. I lost by the way. .01 redlight.
I stuck around for time runs and got a 1.97 60' with a 13.91. What's happening is the secondaries are still taking too long to open (usually not until about 4000 rpms) so it's really strong through 60', then seems to crap out for a little while, then takes off like I hit the NOS.
I'm thinking on a night like last night (mid-upper 60's) that I should be running in the low .70's, and now that it hooks and launches so hard, even into the .60's is what I would expect. But since the secondaries are so slow, it's taking a bite out of my ET.
I'm going to order the Holley secondary spring tuning kit with hopes that there's a softer spring in there than the ones they gave me with the carb.

So far the carb has been flawless with easy starts, NO bogging at all, and good driveability. I just need more juice sooner.

Oh yeah, this was my first trip out with the new M/T drag radials. Needless to say they're working well. I didn't need to heat them too much, and I didn't run them lower than 24psi. Not to mention, even with ALL the weight I had to put on them to balance, they are smmmoooth running down the road.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I'm certain that there will be a spring kit that'll allow you some weaker springs to help
out the situation. If you can't wait, you may try taking a stiffer spring and cutting some
of it off, or heating it red so it weakens it up.... Using this method you could play with it now
instead of waiting to get the softer springs.... Just an idea....

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The best thing about Summit is that when I order it before 9pm, it's on my porch the next day. I got the springs yesterday and found that there are two weaker springs than the one I had in there. I put the weakest one in last night and will test it today (i brought the other one along just in case, but I don't think I'll need it).

I also ordered a carb heat deflector. I won't need it now that it's cold, but I have to pull the intake to put a new intake gasket on. I'll install it then, just to be safe. I had 15 Summit bucks to blow, so what the heck.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Tomorrow's forecast is for a 62 degree high and partly cloudy. Should be in the upper 50's for time runs and if I'm lucky, will touch the 40's by the end of the night. I'll be at TRP again with the Caddy.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I'm in and I gave Fred32v his truck back, so he's got a ride also.....We're in!!!

GM
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

The weather was very good. My Silverado said it was 48 degrees with no wind.
With no preparation, the Silverado ran a best 15.91 @88.73mph, 60’ 2.41.
Not far from the Silverado’s best numbers. First round of animal I trailered an 11.50 car,
second round I trailered an 11.15 car. Then there were only 4 cars left, BP and I and two others.
Well my -.06 lite ended my night and BP put up a really good run, but not quite good enough.
GMJohn was out after running a really great run in the first round but not great enough.
Did I say I really hate red?

Boys at Play…………………...........……Family Portrait……………….....................……Race Truck

ImageImageImage

They always liked playing together, check out the reaction times.
http://youtu.be/JiFFOZPPi34

As always, TRP is just plain fun.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Post by wxo »

On Thursday mornings, I always look forward to the updates on the fun at TRP.:D Keep 'em comin' and watch out for the red lights. :mrgreen:
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

In my first round of elimination I cut a .0005 light that came green. I ran pretty close to my number and the other guy broke out.
In round two I decided that I cut it a little too close on the light and cut a .005 RT. The 10 sec car I race redlighted and I was on to the semis.
In round three I raced a guy in a Sport Fury dialed 13.65. I was dialed 13.71. I cut a .04 light and ran a .74. He cut a .03 and ran a .67. I didn't know who won until the light came on in his lane. It was a cool race because my 60' time was better than his (1.94 to his 2.01), he was stronger in the middle of the track, and I had more mph, so it was really pretty back and forth. I don't mind losing like that. At least I know he had to REALLY work to beat me. I did watch the final round and he did win.

Either way, I had my best 60' time ever (1.93). My MPH is up (99.3) and my ET was down (13.73). I still think that the car is a little flat from 3500-4000 rpm while the secondaries slowly open. I'm thinking I might richen up the primaries slightly to see if that will help a little. I'm also probably going to wait until it gets colder outside before I run again. I'm just happy with how well and consistent it launches. I also like that it's made it to the track and back twice under it's own power.

Fun Fun at TRP. I love it!

-BP