'70 F100

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Re: '70 F100

Post by Maverick »

Just found this SCARY post about EZ Wiring harness on the Ford Truck forum:

Full kit with all the wire and fuse block, no switches though, $185.
Now can someone tell me why my fuel guage reads full, My temp guage fluctuates with the throttle, and I get no reading from the oil pressure guage!

HOLY CRAP!! :shock: Guess I'll have to get the gauge cluster hooked up and see what fun waits me there. :evil:

On the other hand, the Painless (brand name) harness wasn't an option at $609.95 incl light sw, ignition sw, etc. :(
Maverick
Maverick

One Step Forward and Two Steps Back

Post by Maverick »

This AM a new heater control valve, a locking gas cap and a resupply of electrical terminals were retrieved from Advance Auto. The locking gas cap is to prevent anyone from pumping gas in the fill tube that still sticks out the side of the cab where the tank has been removed. Installed the heater control valve and heater hoses and filled the radiator. No drips or puddles. :mrgreen:

WXO came over about 11 AM and we proceeded to calibrate the Throttle Position Sensor. Got that done and spent an hour or more determining which wire from the steering column to attach to the trans controller to get the upshift/downshift buttons working. Finally figured it out and made that connection.

We called Bauman Engineering tech support and got a few things straight in our heads. Learned that we had to turn on an option in the trans control tables by loading up the table edit program, selecting the option, and writing the modified tables back to the controller by the USB cable. Should have been easy but my !*!#$@ computer wasn't seeing my DVD/CD drive. :evil: Used Lois' laptop to do it. Now the controller is flashing error codes. WXO had an idea (I had none) that maybe the TPS had to be recalibrated after the new tables were loaded in. Tried that and am now getting different error codes. Maybe I'll call tech support again tomorrow or maybe I need a break from all the fun. :(

My computer now sees the dvd drive but isn't reading it. :x
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Not doing much yesterday or today. We're enjoying the new crop of baby birds.

Did decide on a next step on the transmission controller -- that will be to load the original tables, without the changes, back into the controller and see if the error codes go away. Its easy to do and should show if the errors are occurring because of the changes we made.

Learned that a diode is required in the power feed for the compressor clutch. If the diode is not in place, when the clutch is de-energized the collapsing field generates a reverse voltage that will burn up the AC switches. Found a diode on ebay that's used by Volvo in their headlight circuit to activate the headlight buzzer. Its convenient because it's only 1/2" long with spade connectors on each end. Just need to insert it in the clutch power wire when its spliced onto the harness.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

The instructions for setting up the transmission controller say to do it with a warm engine. Running the engine means the transmission needs to be filled and it'll be a lot more convenient if a trans shifter is in place. Don't want to decide on a transmission shifter till seats and console are chosen. So, gotta to find some seats.

Picked up a pair of front buckets and center console from a '95-'98 Chev SUV two hours away in New Bern. Not sure what the Chev was called in that period but the GMC would be a Yukon. Good news and bad news. :evil: They're very nice seats. Both buckets are leather, 6-way power, power lumbar and heated. All controls are mounted in the side of the seat bottom. Don't think its very common to find both seats with all that. I THOUGHT the seats had built-in seat belts because of others I'd seen. According to the seller, that started in '99. There are lap/shoulder belts available that bolt into the cab.

When the driver's side seat was slipped in for a test fit, my head was against the roof. :shock: That was a surprise because I thought the '70 F100 would be plenty tall for any modern seat.

Its now a tolerable (a little higher than I'd want) height after a few minor mods. The bigger problem is the thickness of the upper back rest moves the seat too far forward, even for my short legs. It would be OK around town but on long trips it would be more comfortable if the legs could straighten out more.

The steering wheel position is a little close but, again, tolerable with the tilt wheel.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the seats. There was a guy that wanted to buy the whole interior but passed when I already had the seats. Could try to sell them back to him.

Could just live with it for a while. The 6-way power seats would be just about useless.

Could find some low-back buckets or thinner high backs to mount on the hi-function tracks. There are some early 90's Thunderbird seats in Bullock's Salvage.

Could make the truck into an Extended Cab on a long wheel base chassis. NAW!!

There might not be any posts for a while -- I'm getting tired of describing puzzles. Progress is a lot more fun.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Just bring us the solved puzzles :D
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

The F100 project may have a big change in direction. Nothing definite yet but the change is being considered.

Bro Willy in AZ has a RUST FREE Style Side Super Cab 2WD '81 F150 Ranger XLT with AC, power disk front brakes, power steering, cruise control, aux fuel tank, 300CI I6 and auto. The left front has some damage that could be fixed mostly or completely with bolt on parts. The right side of the exterior box panel is also damaged and would have to be repaired or replaced. Couple other minor dings.

Willy wants to give me the truck but I'd insist on giving him at least the $500 he has in it. Son, Barry, would like to have the '70 F100 back with the '81 300 engine (electronic Duraspark ignition) and auto trans.

Plan would be to fly to AZ in Sept, spend some time with Willy and drive the 2100 miles back to Raleigh in the F150. Swap engines, transmissions, and, if it's not difficult, radiators/fans. Return the F100 to Barry.

The pros:

. Fun time with Willy (whose health isn't good).
. NO rust repair and less body work. Phase 1 would include finished body work (probably not paint).
. The F150 would have AC, front disks, power steering, and cruise, none of which are included in the F100 Phase 1.
. GM buckets and console would fit nicely.
. Barry gets his F100 back.
. Storage room and small bench seat in the back of the Super Cab.
. Style Side. While the step side box is unusual, I really think the style side fits better with the lines of the cab.

The cons:

. Plane trip out and 2100 mile drive back, probably 3 day drive.
. Heavier truck. If this were the original plan I would have done the 408 stroker.
. The grey seats & console might not look that great with the red interior.

Any comments?
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

You are really going out of your way to make those bucket seats work! :mrgreen:
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Although I appreciate rust free, this truck doesn't have the cool style of the '70 I think. I'm also worried that the '70 will go back to sitting in a field and never get done like it was when you started it.

I do think the right set of wheels, and a suspension drop, will give that '81 a cool look though. It won't be a crazy hot rod, but still plenty quick, and very usable with the extra back seat space.

Good luck in your decision.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Thanks for comments. Keep 'em coming.

Only 2100 miles out of the way. :lol:

Agree on the "style" comment. But the way I'm feeling now I wonder if I'd ever get to all the rust repair. I might get re-energized by driving it for a while but maybe not. As the paint continues to peel and the old Bondo continues to loosen, it'll begin to look kinda ratty. I had enough ratty vehicles.

Barry really didn't want to part with his truck -- just made one less thing to deal with while buying a house and moving. He wouldn't like to see it parted out or sold to someone else. There's a good chance it won't get used much but, if the swap happens, that'll be his choice. If I sold it, it wouldn't bring much with the current body condition.

The AC, power disk brakes, power steering, cruise control, extra room, and yes, nice seats, sound pretty good to me. So does a week with Bro Willy. Just gotta convince myself to make the trip. Not there yet.
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

There is something to be said for a rust free vehicle, just sayin'.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Fred32v wrote:There is something to be said for a rust free vehicle, just sayin'.
Right.

Ordered an AC unit for the garage yesterday. 8) WXO wanted to know if I was waiting for hot weather to install one. :mrgreen: Its supposed to be in at Best Buy Friday. There's a perfect spot for it. Install will be real easy -- other than lifting it up 9'. Wish I had an empty slot in the breaker box. The unit draws 12A. It'll be close with just one 20A 110V circuit in the hobby garage.

The garage gets full mid-day sun so there's no working out there in July and August w/o AC.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Garage AC is installed and described in the "Garage AC" project thread.

Got the truck bed back in (still have some nuts to tighten), the tail gate on, and the fuel filler door that bro Willy fixed up installed in the bed. The door is spring loaded. When its unlocked it pops up enough to easily open it.

Ideas are shaping up for a redirected F100 project and a new F150 project. Thinking I might fly out to AZ in October and drive the F150 back to Raleigh. Swap the 300 I6 and C4 (or c6?) trans from the F150 into the F100 and the 351W and 4r70W trans from the F100 into the F150. Do no cosmetic work on the F100, just get it safe and dependable and return it to son Barry. He'd get a nice, old truck back with improvements to include newer six-cyl with Duraspark ignition, automatic trans with floor shifter, rear fuel tank, electric fuel pump, new wiring, new exhaust, Explorer dual horns, new battery, rust repairs (floors, fender aprons, rear cab drop downs), new heater core, repaired heater controls, and new rear lights and license plate barcket.

And start a new F150 project with phase 1 being dent repair (no finish coat paint, just epoxy primer) and drive line. Later phases TBD.

Nothing in concrete but that's how I'm leaning now.
Maverick
Maverick

First Start

Post by Maverick »

WXO came over for the first start of the 5.8L/351W engine, which went pretty smoothly. First attempt didn't go because the connector to the MSD distributor had a minor issue. Fixed that and it roared to life with just one pump of the accelerator. Advanced the timing some and it starts immediately. No hesitation or spitting out the top of the carb. When its warmed up, I think it'll smooth out just fine with a little tweaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yDoiOVzDDI

I'd like to get the engine and transmission controller dialed in while they are in the F100 but that'll be a little difficult since there won't be an exhaust system for this engine in the F100. Probably gonna try the patience of my neighbors. :mrgreen:

With about 3 gal of gas, the electric fuel pump primed itself in a few seconds. (Recall the concerns about the height where the pump was mounted.) With the fuel line unhooked at the carb, the elect fuel pump flushed out the new, and about 4' of old, fuel line. The first pint or so of gas was a dark color and smelled like turpentine. Apparently there were still some nasties in the section of old line. Gas was all clear after that.

There are a few issues to sort out. The transmission controller isn't getting a correct reading on the shift selector. With the selector in PARK its showing an error code for the shift selector. With the selector in NEUTRAL is showing the selector in 2. :?:

There's some problem with the ground for the turn signal indicators in the dash. They only light up with a jumper to ground the cluster. And the gauges only work intermittently -- might also be a ground issue. The gauge cluster will have to come back out to check the wiring and splices.

Many thanks to WXO for the Youtube video. :D
Added still photo to post. WXO
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Sounds great!

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Just for fooling around so your neighbors won't mind, I'd try a pair of cheap header mufflers
that would allow you to go after that tranny thing and drive this truck around.
You could use them on the next truck for a bite.

Anyway the video was as cool as the motor running. Sweet.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!