'70 F100

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

'70 F100

Post by Maverick »

At this point this "project" is just a possibility but I thought I'd record it from the inception if it materializes. If it doesn't, I'll delete the thread.

My son has a '70 F100 Step Side that's been sitting in his yard for a few years. I can get it if I want it. It would make a very nice truck but I'm not sure if I have enough time, energy, good health to take it on. So, we'll see where it takes me.

It has a 300 CI straight six with standard (3 speed?) transmission. '70 Ford pickups had that awful Twin I-Beam front suspension that would have to go. '03 and newer Crown Vics have a bolt in aluminum front cross-member that mates well with the F100 frame. Guys use the CV IFS to get power rack & pinion and disk brakes with wheel width within 0.1" of the F100 Twin I-beam suspension. Gives a 4 or 5 inch drop to the front. The Mod 4.6 V8, PCM, wiring harnesses, electronic OD (AODE) transmission, rear disk brakes, and maybe even the gauges could all be used in the F100. A CV donor could easily be found.

I need to get out and take a look at the truck to see if its something I want to tackle. I'll continue to update this thread or delete it if its a no-go.
Last edited by Maverick on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick
Fred32v

Re: '70 F100

Post by Fred32v »

How about a picture where it sits.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Fred32v wrote:How about a picture where it sits.
Will post pictures if I can remember to take a camera when I check it out.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

WXO and I had a look at the F100 this morning. Its really pretty solid -- not a lot to discourage using it at for a fun project. Both front fenders and the door bottoms need rust repair or replacement. The battery box has some swiss cheese but didn't get a look underneath. The tail gate is bent and around the hinges it will need something. Other that those things, it looks like just surface rust. Forgot to check the radiator support. Saw no rust on the frame. Didn't pull up the carpet but it was dry and floors felt solid. For sure, it has a LOT less rust than the Maverick. Which is good, because I do not want to get involved in a lot of rust repair again. Glad I did it but once is enough.

Still not sure if I want to tackle it or not. WXO suggests we drag it home and I just go at it slowly and see how it works out. Not a bid idea since my son is moving and has to do something with it soon.

Would like to get your reactions.

Is it OK to refer guys from the Ford Truck Forum to this posting to see the pictures?I was trying to get a lot of pics online so I can solicit opinions on the value of the truck. If that's a problem I won't do it.

Edit: Never mind. Got the pictures to show on the Ford Truck Forum. :)

Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Drag it home, make it run, do no rust repair, paint it satin black, put on
some cool tires and wheels and drive it!!!!!

GM
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

This has you written all over it.

Get it in the yard and pick at it.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

There are no 1970 Ford trucks in Cleveland. If it sat on the ground here for a year there would be nothing left under it.
I like GMJohnny's suggestion. Just getting it on the road would be really neat. Whatever you decide, ENJOY!
Fred32v
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

We are going to bring it home. Should be able to get it running and decide its fate later. The president of a new, local all-Ford club has a car trailer and said he'd haul it for me. He had offered to haul the Maverick twice as far to Charlotte when I was having problems with the 347.

There are three vulnerable areas that didn't get checked for rust. The front cab mounts can be a big problem. And the radiator support and front underside of the hood (both of which had to be repaired on the Maverick) have to be checked. Also need to see if the wheels will turn or the brakes are frozen up.

I expect any prep for paint will cause some holes where the previous bondo repairs were done. I might have been able to live with that before we moved South but but it would really bother me now. New bolt-on fenders are available. Also door skins, tail gate and hinges. Rust repair might be pretty easy. :?: But, rust is always twice as bad as it appears+ isn't it.

If it gets painted, I'm thinking either match the Sprint paint scheme or a two-tone black and silver.

There is room for some really wide meats on the back. 8)
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I actually really like that 300 inch six. My friend had a 4wd with that motor and standard tranny.
It was remarkably strong for a six and made great mileage.
Fred32v
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Fred32v wrote:I actually really like that 300 inch six. My friend had a 4wd with that motor and standard tranny.
It was remarkably strong for a six and made great mileage.
Yes, that 300/4.9L six is a very good engine. They routinely go several hundred thousand miles without being opened up. Make great torque and can be hot rodded. That one is a Pep Boy's rebuilt that son and I put in. Lots of good options with that truck. Mod motor out of a '03 or newer Crown Vic would have EFI, computer-controlled ignition, OBD II, ... 351W based 427 stoker would be fun. Hot rodded 300, ...
Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Put a blower on that straight six!!!!

GM
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I was thinking the Sprint paint scheme also. Would look cool!
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

IRS

Post by Maverick »

One issue with doing the Crown Vic steering and suspension transplant into an F100 is mis-matched front and rear lug nut patterns. The CV is 5X4.5" and the F100 is 5X5" Here's one way to get matching lug bolt patterns on front and back. :mrgreen:

. http://www.team321.com/truckirs/TEAM321 ... stall.html

The Lincoln Mark 8 has both a 32 valve, DOHC mod motor and the IRS required. Would make sense to just get the front end out of a CV and find a Mark 8 donor for the engine, transmission, PCM, harnesses, and IRS. The Mark 8 has air bag suspension on the rear.

This is beginning to sound like FUN

WXO and I are going back out tomorrow afternoon to have another look at the truck and see what we need to get it loaded on the trailer.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Just go get a rearend out of a Crown Vic / Grank Marquis. It's an 8.8 so it will deal with the HP. Cut the mounts, weld on some perches and the lugs will match and you can get rear disks real easy for it (all cop cars had it). Or find a Triton 5.4 which should be similar in size at the block.

Looks like fun!

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Maverick wrote: Is it OK to refer guys from the Ford Truck Forum to this posting to see the pictures?I was trying to get a lot of pics online so I can solicit opinions on the value of the truck. If that's a problem I won't do it.
Not a problem at all. I have no idea what kind of bandwidth usage limits we have, but I've never gotten a notice or extra charge. Link away.

-Dave