Thompson, May 16?

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Thompson, May 16?

Post by TireSmoker »

Weather forecast is looking great for this week. Anyone interested in hitting Thompson on Wednesday?

Thompson on Wed, Nelson Ledges on Thursday!

-Dave
Basement Paul

Re: Thompson, May 16?

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm in! I'm going out in the garage to take my front sway bar loose / off and pull the spare and jack.

Hopefully a little more track heat will help get some traction. That, and a little more weight transfer from the huge front swaybar being disconnected should help.

I thought about putting the drag radials from the Caddy on there, but they're more than two inches taller and would slow it down for sure.

Still having problems with the leaking Caddy trans and will probably end up putting the original one back in this weekend.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Should I take the Cobalt, or the bike? Bike is faster and generally more fun, but the Cobalt might be a good matchup with the truck. And I'm gonna be thrashing on the Cobalt Thursday at Nelson Ledges.. good decision to have!

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm going with bike.

The weather will be perrrrrfect.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

You didn't buy the Cobalt to baby it - run that :D
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Mid 40's all night, it was hard to find traction. My best of the night was 12.98 at 105mph.
I was dialing 13.20's My best 1/8 was 8.38 and best mph was 85.86mph.
My friend Smoke broke out 1st round allowing me to advance. 2nd round I broke out at 107mph,
but the other fellow caught red. 3rd round I dialed 13.20, the car ran 13.20 but my light was -04.
I hate red.
BP ran a best 14.21 aroung 95mph, he was put out in the 2nd round.

ImageImage

I don't think Maverick would have liked the traction, but WXO would have put up some good numbers.
As allow, TRP is great fun!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I only got 2 passes in for the night, and both had pretty crummy launches. My time run was 14.36 @ 100. When first round started, I dialed a 14.30 against Fred, to his 13.21. I wanted to make sure I lit the green light, so I had a terrible .21 reaction time. I was ahead at the finish and thought I had hit the brakes in time, but I didn't. I went 14.23 @ 101, giving Fred the win.

Always a good time!

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yeah traction became a bigger issue as it got colder and darker. That 14.21 is my best pass by .2 and almost 1mph so I'm happy. I probably won't be out again until I can get some drag radials on this thing. It's just too hard to launch consistently with a street tire.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

BP, could you use some steeper gearing? If you're getting drag radials you have a chance to compensate with some shorter tires. I think my 2.2" shorter 50 series drag radials helped the Maverick a lot.

Tractions is no longer a problem with the drag radials even with the higher stall converter and shorter tires.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm running a 245/50-16 which is already under 26" so I don't think I'd go any shorter. I think over the winter I might try harder to get to a 3.73 or 4.10 gear instead of the 3.42 that I have. I'd also like to get an aluminum driveshaft in there which would be good for a little more than a tenth. This should put me solidly into the 13's and then I think I would just drive it.... at least for another nine years until I need to get it into the 12's... what's the matter with me??????

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

1" difference from your current tires would only give you the same effect as changing from 3.42 to 3.56 rear.

Going from 235 60 15 to 225 50 15 gave me a 2.2" shorter tire and the same effect as changing from a 3.00 to a 3.28 rear and let me use ALL of 2nd gear in the 1/8th. Think that helped me.
Maverick