Woodward Dream Cruise 2011

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Woodward Dream Cruise 2011

Post by TireSmoker »

So, after a last minute decision around 10pm last night, I txt'd Chris (VeeDub) to see if he'd wanna head to Detroit for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Tony had some golf commitment -- sheesh -- and wasn't able to go this year. I said it last year after going for the first time that it was a must-attend event for anyone on this site. I say so doubly after this year.

We left Chesterland shortly after 8am, with the top down or course, filling up at the Shell at Wilson Mills & 91. We hopped on the freeway. By the time we were to Bishop Rd, there was already an old guy out for a spirited Saturday morning drive in his newer 911 convertible. We were kinda mixing it up through traffic, and then went for a top-speed blast right, maybe around E.72nd or so.. we come around the bend by E.55 doing at least 100 and see red-n-blues with someone pulled over. We both got it back to 70 pretty quick, waved and continued our drives. We hadn't even gotten to downtown and already had a race.

We drove up Route 2, avoiding the turnpike, and it was just a nice, pleasant country drive for the most part. So far, the car had been running flawlessly. We hopped on I-280 over to I-75, which would take us almost the rest of the way. As soon as we got onto I-75, there was a newer SSR that got into it after we drove by him. We had a couple good runs with him. After taking 75N to 696W and getting off on Woodward in Royal Oak, we were at the South End. So after driving for 3+ hours, we entered into the traffic. It really crawls along at that end. There's tons of car, tons of people on the sidewalks, so it doesn't move real quick. But it's cool.

Woodward is a rolling car show. Get in your car, drive it and be a part of it. If you get tired of it, find a good place -- there's 10+ miles to choose from, set up your chairs, and watch the cars go by. There's always something cool, interesting, good-sounding, good-looking or otherwise going by.

I mean, where else are you gonna see something like this?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Px2wXNFog[/youtube]

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
wxo

Re: Woodward Dream Cruise 2011

Post by wxo »

Thanks for taking us along with you, Dave. That boat was hilarious! :lol:
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Great fun!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Not quite a motor boat....but still cool/impressive. :P

Most everything looked familiar...including the gas station with the Cobras. (We stopped there twice last year, I think.)

For what it's worth, we were two under at Berkshire Hills and generated some $$$ for cerebral palsy.

Hope to make it next year.....w/o excuses! Looked like a lot of fun! :mrgreen:
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

It was a great time. I'm going again next year. Its almost sensory overload. There's something to see everywhere no matter what ones taste in cars is. The boat was one the highlights for me! I still laugh when I see that video! :lol:
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Another cool video...shot by another VW guy (no its not a VW video :wink: )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlkOh9p83Gk[/youtube]