Nelson Ledges Bridgestone Day July 22 2011

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Nelson Ledges Bridgestone Day July 22 2011

Post by MostMint »

Chumpy is ready.

I washed up the Camaro and I'm starting to load stuff.

If you want to spectate or run your car at Nelson this Friday let me know. Can't wait to get there.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Re: Nelson Ledges Bridgestone Day July 22 2011

Post by Fred32v »

The MostMint Race Team attended a private Track Day at Nelson Ledges Road Course.

ImageImageImage

The high 90 degree temperatures did not seem to bother the little Saturn with its' freshly rebuilt motor,
all 5 team drivers had at least one turn in the Chump Car before the rains ended the festivities.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG9A8QTb65g[/youtube]

Just to get a little favor of race day, the team changed all 4 tires in 5 minutes flat.
MostMint was black flagged when his power steering pump gave up the ghost.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Friday was an interesting day. It was great to have the entire team out, and thanks to Tony for arranging it and to our spectators. The weather was hot. Very hot. It was mid 90s.

Matt came over a little after 7 to take the Saturn over to the track.

I had decided to bring the Camaro instead of the Impala since I did not want to hear anything in case I went off and damaged something. Then in the first practice session I blew out the power steering hose.

After that I had a chance to run the Saturn. I decided to short shift at 6000 RPMs to see what kind of times I would get. My best lap was just under 1:30. The only time I went over is in the back straight as I did not want to go to 5th right before the kink. I only ran 6-8 laps – the temp was up near the last white mark and I was comfortable I was making good laps so I stopped there. Today was the first day I went flat out through the kink.

I had a lot of tools but still needed to borrow a 16mm and 18mm wrench to get the hose off. Fortunately it came apart and Dave was still not there. I called him and he got me a hose and some fluid for $28. At the lunch break Dave showed up and I was able to reinstall the hose.

When I put the fluid in I noticed the dipstick was partially melted. When I started it the pump did not sound good. I drove around the back of the pit area and then checked the fluid. It was still full but still making some noise. So I took it back out. I think I got about 5 more laps then the pump noise started increasing again. About that time I got black flagged at the start finish. I pulled off in the oak tree turn as the power steering pump was shot.

I made a decision to move the car to my parents since there is one serpentine belt and if it locked up I would not be able to drive it. I could get the car there and get back for some more laps with the Saturn. I filled the power steering pump up with fluid and off we went. I short shifted to try and keep RPMs under 2000, spent a bunch of time coasting and made it there. I borrowed my Dad's truck and got back around 3:15 PM.

More later...
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

From my perspective, everything went pretty well.

Pitstop -- The 5 minute tire change could *easily* be improved upon, as it started off a little impromptu. We really need to have a practice refueling, as we're going to need to do this often and it's semi-dangerous, since we want to avoid spilling gas all over hot parts. How do we empty the tank for a practice re-fill?

The race tires work awesome. You can really throw the car into the turns with it and they stick. You were asking about spares.. I think 2 would suffice for this race, but I'm not opposed to 4. The rears aren't going to be taking a lot of abuse and we can certainly do a rotation during the hour-long break while adding our headlights, or during a regular pitstop. That gives us a spare for each side. Also, if we were really in a pinch, could we run the street tires on the rear?

Cooling -- after about 6-8 laps (i think), I noticed the temp right at the last white line. Do we know just how hot that is? I'm hoping this is a non-issue by October.

Lap times -- I know I wasn't running completely flat-out at every opportunity. In my opinion, this car can run in 3rd & 4th gear the entire time. Shifting down to 2nd at the corner before the beginning of the pit straight seems un-necessary. Shifting to 3rd at Oak Tree seems optional, as well as in the Carousel. Shifting to 5th on the back straight also seems to offer no real advantage, although I was hitting the kink at 6100-6200 in 4th. Of course, we had open track most of the time, and traffic will only slow things down.

Tools -- do we have a list started anywhere on what we think we will want? Obviously, a full set of metric wrenches/sockets up to 19mm will be needed. As the engine swap is probably the most-involved work we've done to the car, were there any specialty tools that were required? I imagine the axle nuts were bigger than 19mm.

Other good tools:
Jack + jackstands. I have a good low-profile 3-ton jack with decent lift height. Plywood?
Electric Impact Gun
Torque wrench
Breaker Bar
Infrared Temp Gun
Sawzall + Hammers (hopefully not needed!)
Jumper Cables / Jump Box?
Blue Rags
Cheap work gloves
Assorted work lights

-Dave (sent out via email as well)
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I got as a gift, a 1.5 ton aluminum jack that is low profile, and has a MUCH higher lift ratio so it requires WAY less pumps to get the car up in the air. It also is REALLY light. It even has small LED lights on the jacking pad. This might come in handy jacking in the dark. Might be a worthwhile investment for someone that either needs a jack or wants a second one. Now that I have two jacks (the other is a 3 ton), I use them both pretty equally depending on the situation.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

This was my first stint in the Saturn with the race tires.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAkJlhiF9mQ[/youtube]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Friday nite, tne Indians were getting crushed and the Truck race wasn't that exciting.
So I timed some laps from the youtube postings. The video I posted was right after the
lunch break on street tires, I think Dave was in the Saturn, that lap was 1:31:14.
Then Tiresmoke posted a video with the race tires, 1st lap after warmup was 1:29:21,
then the spin out 2:01:76, and a 1:35:11 letting someone pass, he was passed twice.
I also clocked the Cobalt SS, it passed 4 cars, was not passed;
1st lap 1:25:52,
2nd lap 1:25:51,
3rd lap 1:30:06 making a pass,
4th lap 1:30:94,
5th lap 1:26:34, and
6th lap 1:26:59.
That little yellow Lotus riding two up, I clocked at 1:23:33. GRINS!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Love the videos. I'll check for flat spots but I think we'll be OK with that.

Here is a photo gallery from that day:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33937807@N ... 7165402769
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I paid attention for any "thumpy-thumpy" flatspot noises/vibrations but did not notice any.

Your photos are set to private. Can't view them.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Ride along with the organizer of the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMXEImIJHng
-BP[/quote]