2011 NPD All Ford Show in Silver Springss

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

2011 NPD All Ford Show in Silver Springss

Post by Maverick »

Brother Willy is here in NC with us and he and I leave for Florida 8) tomorrow morning in the Sprint for the 2011 NPD Silver Springs All Ford Show. We've been doing some last minute tinkering and can't think of anything else it needs before the trip. Wish us luck for a safe and trouble-free trip.

This trip is especially meaningul. Our oldest sister died on Christmas Eve in Michigan. We'll be staying with my other sister in Florida where we three remaining siblings will be together for a few days. We're all in our 70s so who knows what's in the future. Got to enjoy the good time gatherings. I'll post some pictures when we get back.
Maverick
Fred32v

Re: 2011 NPD All Ford Show in Silver Springss

Post by Fred32v »

I'm sure that Maverick will make it, I know the guy who built it.
With your brother riding shotgun, your sister and a car show as a destination,
looks like a seriously good time! :) Take pictures.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

My brother and I drove the Sprint to Silver Springs without too much trouble. We had rain thru North and South Carolina but nothing frozen. When we got near to Silver Springs the suspension developed a BAD squeek. Found a place that greased every fitting (no charge) and did a hand wash and cleaned the interior for $22.

But, the squeek is still there. A little embarassing pulling into the show.

I had the 927th of 1000 free registrations. That's a big deal because otherwise its quite expensive.
The entrance fee to the (private) park is about $30 per person. The freebe included access to everything in the park, e.g., glass bottom boats, show entrance fee and admission for two.

I don't know how many cars were there but I'd guess at least 1000. Mostly Mustangs. Got tired of looking at Mustangs. :lol:

About a dozen really fine Mavericks and Comets were there in THE prime location, right at the one-lane entrance to the show area. Met some great guys and learned some things chatting with them.

Here's my Sprint. A few guys were seen writing my number on their cards. :D I got a lot of very nice comments on it.

A guy I met on the Maverick/Comet forum, then last year in Florida, was there with his beautifly restored "junk to jewel" Cougar that he saved from the salvage yard. Got some free interior quarter panels for my Maverick from him, complete with primer and paint to make them match my white interor. He was also giving out rolls of microfiber cloths. What a guy!! His Cougar won first place in Cougars on Saturday. Richly deserved.

We drove home today (Sunday) to avoid a winter storm that's coming to NC tomorrow. We were almost home when the PS belt went WAY loose. Mount and adjusting bolts were both still tight. Can't understand it.

One of the Mavericks had an aftermarket Trick Flow EFI that uses a Mustang ECM and is, of course, tunable with a laptop. Tempting!!!

Loved this '49 2-door.

And this Lincoln.

Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

We were almost home when the PS belt went WAY loose. Mount and adjusting bolts were both still tight. Can't understand it.
WXO figured it out. Although the crankshaft pulley was very rusty and pitted, I gave it the electrolytic rust bucket treatment and painted it. Not good enough. The grooves were pitted and wore the belt out. It was narrowed and running down in the grooves and therefore loose.

Anyone have a Ford 3-groove, 4-bolt crank shaft pulley? Cheapest I've found is $101. Guess that's why I tried to get by with the old, rusty one.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

fill those pits in with epoxy or JB weld?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

MostMint wrote:fill those pits in with epoxy or JB weld?
Maybe. I put a WTB ad up on Craigslist. So far I've had two bogus responses. :mrgreen: What jerks!! I'm sure I can get a good used one from the Maverick forum or http://www.SBFTech.com. Just hoping to find one I didn't have to wait for.

Bro Willy and I worked on installation of a Taurus electric radiator fan today. Have it and the controller wired and now just have to get it physically mounted. Need some metal and can't get out because of the ICE!!!!! I am TIRED of winter!!!! Should be able to get out tomorrow to pick up a few things. How much HP do you think a 7-blade flex fan eats up???
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm thinking 8-10 hp. I like clutch fans better than flex fans and you can't go wrong with an electric.

As far as pulleys go, check ebay... I saw several on there a few minutes ago. I searched 302 Crankshaft pulley.

I found a complete set of underdrive pulleys on ebay in aluminum for my 455 Olds for about $80, so I'm guessing you could find the same thing for your Ford.

Good luck.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Basement Paul wrote:I'm thinking 8-10 hp. I like clutch fans better than flex fans and you can't go wrong with an electric.

As far as pulleys go, check ebay... I saw several on there a few minutes ago. I searched 302 Crankshaft pulley.

I found a complete set of underdrive pulleys on ebay in aluminum for my 455 Olds for about $80, so I'm guessing you could find the same thing for your Ford.

Good luck.

-BP
8-10 HP gain would be nice. Seems about right.

I haven't heard of any electric fans blowing apart and killing people.

A used pulley is on the way from a guy on the Maverick forum. $15 plus $11 shipping. Don''t want to put too much into it because I'd llke to convert to a serpentine setup some day.
Maverick