1979 Trans Am

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Ready, set, mat-it!

Post by markss327 »

Is it just me, or no one else has a horn, to do the 1-2-3 go thing.... ????
BTW, all my rolling runs, started in 2nd.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

No horn here -- Not sure what was happening with my car when I tried to run you, it was only those two times that I've had that happen. Very strange.

-Dave
Last edited by TireSmoker on Tue May 27, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I have a horn, but I was just listening to hear when you went. I started in first, but it was pretty high in the rpms, so I'm not sure it helped much. I'm also geared worse (3.42 vs 3.73) and am running a taller tire (255-60).

Tonight I put a new HP coil in the car, but am not convinced it helped, and maybe hurt the car. The problem is, this is the first time I've really started to pay attention to the car and shifting. It feels like it falls off at the top of 1st gear (around 4800-5000), but as soon as I shift into 2nd, it pulls like crazy again. Maybe it's just the extra torque that I'm feeling, and all is well, I'm not sure. It's definitely not detonation. It almost feels like the secondaries aren't open all the way. Eventually I'll put the Holley on it and eliminate the vacuum secondaries all together.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to put the advance curve kit into it and see if that helps out. After that, I'll play with the timing a little, which is something I haven't done yet. We basically just set it and didn't look at it since. There may be a couple degrees left to help it out.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Tonight I put the advance curve kit on. The lightest springs and the weights that come with the kit seem to make the car more responsive everywhere, and also seem to help the high end too. It also helps the carburetor's slight hesitation from part throttle to WOT. The secondary flap was adjusted pretty loose when it was on my Caddy, and up until now, was about due for an adjustment to slow it down. Now I'm thinking I'll be leaving it just the way it is.

I also think my factory tach isn't keeping up too well since I put the new coil on, so I think in the not to distant future, I'm going to buy a shift light to just tell me when to shift, and that way I won't have to look at a big tach plastered on my dash.

-BP
markss327

Plastered

Post by markss327 »

Hey, a big tach on the STEERING COLUMN is cool.
Plastered on the dash, is another story.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Mounting it on the dash? This car is waaaay to nice for that - LOL
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm not worried about how nice it is, I just don't want it to be tacky. I'm trying to keep it somewhat stealthy... And be careful about making fun, I've seen your Firebird too. :wink:

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday's wrenching at 32v's got a couple nagging problems fixed. We started tearing apart the rear tail light wiring harness as the RR lights had all sorts of problems that seemed like there was a bad ground somewhere. As I was tearing the whole harness out into the open and started cleaning the contacts in all the sockets, 32v decided to replace the broken exterior door handle on the passenger's side.

After pulling the whole harness out of the conduit and holders, and cleaning out the sockets, I found one little ground connector that attaches the LH to the RH side had corroded and just about fell apart. After splicing in a new plug, everything came back to life and even the directional started working like it was supposed to. Yeah!

In the meantime, 32v had the door completely apart, and while replacing the handle, also got the frozen lock mechanism working. Although that sounds reasonable simple, it was quite a PITA. After lots and lots of lube, and lots and lots of lock exercising, it seems to work well.

Today I drove the car ALOT. Since the speedo is still inop, I can only guess, but I'm quite sure I put about 80 miles on it today with no issues. During a visit to MarkSS', and a quick retighten of the belt, I continued on my way. I learned that my "hesitation" in 1st gear is a carburetor issue, and can be cleaned out of the carb with a good rev or two. I drove around with the t-tops out too, which is pretty cool. I have to admit though, I probably could have used a kidney belt, as this thing might as well not have a rear suspension. It's just the way I like it...

-BP
Fred32v

Twelves?

Post by Fred32v »

After Saturday morning breakfast, as luck would have it, the "V" left right behind the Grey Ghost.
We still need to do somethings to the Ghost and get to TRP, but Judging by the way it disappeared,
(jumped away) I'd say on a good day it will be someplace in the 12's neighborhood.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

After the morning mayham with the STS-V, and working with a limited time frame, we decided to do something "easy" like replace the broken speedo cable. So we removed the two cables and the box on the left fender as this car had cruise control.
I ordered a new cable for a car that did not have cruise, but when running the new cable through the firewall and using the old mounting spots, the new cable came up about a foot short. Hmmmm.... After looking at the top and bottom of the problem, I decided to pull the center console off and try to run the new cable through the shifter cable hole in the center tunner and found that it actually reached with a slightly sharper bend than I'd like.
So now the speedo works, but it runs real fast. I got a reduction box from 32v and will put that on this week to get it a lot closer to correct speeds.

I also plan to replace the crank pulley as it is bent and I believe it to be tearing up my belt under higher RPMs. I did find a spare today in my parts pile so hopefully it's straight.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So tonight I replaced the bent crankshaft pulley which I believe was causing my belt to wear out, and the new one seems much better. So I drove to the parts store to get a replacement belt (just in case), and noticed on my way to the store something in the rearend felt a little crooked when taking off under power, so I looked at the car and found I lost one of the rubbers from my traction bars. I checked the one I had left and found it was loose too, but still attached.
I actually thought about going to TRP tomorrow night, but that's messed up now with the snubber missing, so I ordered a pair from Jegs tonight so I'll have them by the weekend.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

A couple things happened this weekend on the car. I believe, but am not 100% sure, that I fixed the belt wearing out problem by finding an alternator pulley in the pile that has another 1/4" offset out to bring the pulleys in line. I still think the belt is slightly too wide, but don't see the rubber debris building up on the block like I did before. More driving will tell the final story, so in the mean time, I'll keep carrying a spare belt.

The battery has now officially been moved to the trunk. This wasn't the easiest task as it took a solid six hours for two guys to do. Now, since I added all that extra cable, I'm thinking I'm going to need a heavy duty battery as it is slow to start when hot sometimes. I'll top off the charge if I go to the track this Wed, but before the summer is over, I'll get a 1000cca battery, which seems to work well in the Caddy.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I'm trying to head out to TRP tomorrow -- you think you're gonna make it?

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Barring some rain, or a disaster at work... I'm ready to go.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Last Sunday brought another development. I had a couple things going on... the belt melting problem persisted as the crankshaft pulley was still out of round, so I ordered a set of underdriven billet pulleys off ebay. What these will do is insure that the belts run true, and also have a deeper groove to help keep the belt in place. At the same time I did this, I replace the harmonic balncer as I believed it to be questionable.

So far so good since the replacement as I see no signs of wear on the new belt. The alternator doesn't charge too well at idle, but anywhere above idle seems fine. Cooling does not seem to be an issue at all as I've idles for several minutes in traffic in 85 plus degree temps with the gauge never going over 180. The motor feels a little snappier too.

I have a slight vibration between 2000-2500 rpms at speed (I'm guessing the driveshaft lost a weight) which I'll have to track down, but everything I do makes it a little better. I hope to get the newly ordered line lock in before the next TRP outing on the 7th of September.

Here's the pulleys:

-BP