2003 S-10

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Re: 2003 S-10

Post by Maverick »

I'm jealous of that aluminum driveshaft. :wink: Looks nice. I cheaped out today and am just getting the steel F100 shaft shortened w/new U-joints.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Don't be jealous, you have a LOT more money left over than I do. :wink: Although later when you're trying to squeeze that extra tenth out of it, you might be wishing you spent the money. I love following your build by the way!

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

This Wed I got new tires for the S-10. The Firestones had over 20k miles on them, and were over eight years old (they were three years old when Firestone mounted them up...) so they were getting pretty hard and really liked to chase the road grooves around. Basically it was time for new ones.

I had a little trip this weekend so I called my buddy at Cleveland Tire and he hooked me up with these BFG's. I looked them up on tirerack and they got really good reviews. Since Wed I've put over 400 miles on them and the more I drive them, the better they get. I put 245-50/16 on the front, and 255-50s on the back for just a little more meat on the back and a touch of rake too. It's really hard to tell they're any different, but side by side they're about a 1/2" wider and taller.

I also changed the oil today, greased it all up, and put in injector cleaner. It's good to see that at 3700 miles on this oil change, the oil still looked clean on the dipstick, and it doesn't use any at all.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Been awhile since my last post for the truck. I just changed the oil a couple weeks ago, got it all greased up, and the supercharger bearing took a dump. :cry: Luckily, I talked to Al from Wynjammer superchargers today and I'm still under warranty, and sent the supercharger out today. He said he'll turn it around within a couple days and get it sent back to me. So hopefully, short of being out the shipping, I should be on the road within a week or so.

More updates to come as I have some maintenance and mild upgrades planned for this winter.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So the supercharger reinstall all went according to plan. Heck, I didn't even pay return shipping... I just hope this doesn't happen every two years.

Now the truck is 11 years old (hard to believe) and has just under 50k miles on it. The suspension is starting to feel soft, and a little bouncy at freeway speeds. I know it wasn't like this when new, but I do haul some heavy crap, drive it real hard, especially in the turns, and everything is getting pretty old. Soooo, I bit the bullet and bought a new set of Bilstein shocks which are basically factory replacements from Classic Chevy. Even with my old employee discount, I have over $500 in shocks. :shock: But I figure I'll have it another 10 years at least, so why not? No sense putting cheapies on there and hating the way it handles.

And while I was at it, I decided to upgrade the front rotors to a Power Stop slotted and drilled factory size replacement along with new Power Stop pads. I also bought Bendix rear shoes. The brakes are also all original, and being as old as they are, I figured a new set couldn't hurt, even if there is decent material left.

Buying it all was the easy part, now all I have to do is put all that stuff on there...

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Time for some new springs too while you are at it - make that thing handle baby :)
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So I spent all afternoon yesterday replacing all four shocks, the front rotors & pads, and the rear brake shoes. I also lubed the front end and also the driveshaft. Greasing the driveshaft requires pulling two bolts off the rearend coupling. All in all I have about 7 hours invested, but with no surprises. Everything came apart and went together as it was supposed to. It's nice not working on a salted vehicle.

I haven't driven it yet as the roads are COVERED in salt. It can wait. But there is certainly less bounce to it, and the new shocks did rebound faster than the old ones.

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Basement Paul wrote: It's nice not working on a salted vehicle.

-BP
welcome to my world.
Matt Sutter
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

ttamrettus wrote:
Basement Paul wrote: It's nice not working on a salted vehicle.

-BP
welcome to my world.
That's what Bro Willy said when I told him I broke the nuts loose for the exhaust pipe to manifold on the Super Cab and spun them off with my fingers. :shock:
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

This is part of the reason I bought a newer car too. I look at my Mustang right now and it's white with salt... It's sad that in six years it will be a mess underneath.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Coming home from TireSmoker's place Saturday night, I flipped 50k miles on the ODO. I celebrated by leaving what I can only imagine is a pretty sweet set of tracks just off TireSmoker's road, right on the main drag. Maybe we'll get some hard evidence...

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I rarely go that direction and keep forgetting to look! I'll try to remember in the morning.

-Dave
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

We definitely heard it....over my iTunes!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Nice one.. :-)

Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

TireSmoker wrote:Nice one.. :-)

They come in parallel pairs? :mrgreen: