406 Update

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Rebuilds I can recall:

* Replaced all the pistons only - reused crank and rods - twice I did this including the 350 that runs 12.60's
* Replaced only one piston and rod

I had no balance problems with them. The main difference is that I was on shorter crank throw than you have, and that undoubtedly affects the situation.

I have balanced pistons before, but the difference in weight is minimal.

This is a really dumb question - but how do you know the flexplate is on correctly if it is part of the balance? Is it new? Is the balancer new? Maybe one of these things could be the problem. I am not ruling out the crank by any means but it would be sad if you rebuilt the engine with a different crank and had the same problem.

I would like to listen to it but the chance of me getting there before Monday night is remote. If I do visit I might bring the Vette - I'll see if Tiresmoker wants to ride shotgun. I'll check in with you on Monday.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Saturday, Sept 16th - She's home.
Finally, the garage has opened her arms, and once again allowed the presence of the Nova to fulfill her cavity.
Sorry..... :roll:

The Flood recover is winding down. We're about 95% 'back to normal'. I was so wound up over getting her home, I forgot my 7 to 4 pin wiring adapter (the truck has a 7pin, the trailer has a 4pin connector) AND I forgot my license plate for the trailer. The heck with it all, I'm getting her home anyway. With no lights or plate, she made it home without incident. I feel much better now.

I don't have a real time-line figured out yet. Even getting her home is ahead of schedule. Originally I was thinking mid Oct. If I can have the engine/trans extracted by the end of Sept, that'll be good.

My free time is in short order. Cub Scouts is back in session, Daniel is now a Wolf Scout. Our one and only fund raiser (Pop Corn) starts today, and runs thru early Nov. Our fist camp out is Oct 13-15. Sheeesh, what was I thinking when I 'volunteered' for Asst Cubmaster.......
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Fred32v

Status

Post by Fred32v »

Just nagging. Is the motor out? Have you found anything?
Maybe one good night with the Cub Scout Pack's help and that motor would be out. :lol:
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Well, the end of September has come and gone, and the ill 406 is still in place. Scouting is keeping me busy. Fall yard work is upon us all..... I know, they're just excuses....
That said, this is what I'm telling myself now - 'As soon as it snows, I can get to work in the garage'.... And, past history has shown, that's usually how it works. Take away my ability to play/work outside, the garage gets my attention.

I see extraction happening after Thanksgiving.
Disassembly shortly thereafter.
Balancing complete BEFORE Christmas.
Assembly Jan/Feb.
Tentative fire-up by March.

Now, I've said it. We'll just see what really happens !!!
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Wednesday 12-27
It started as just a general clean up of the garage. Trash the Christmas rapping paper garbage, break down all the cardboard boxes.....
The 406 is out, and stripped down to the short block. 8)
Extraction was uneventful. Spilled about a quart of antifreeze, and another quart of tranny fluid. Not to bad. The garage has stayed relatively clean so far. The pan is off, and I'm pulling pistons. Only got one out so far, and the bearings look fine. Couple more hours tomorrow, and I'll have it totally apart.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

The remainder of the block has been dissembled. All the bearings looked OK. However, the thrust face of the rear main, was down to copper. I'm not sure of the significance of that. :? Got the go-ahead form the resident finance director, to spend some money. The rotating assembly will go in for balancing, next week.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

The rotating assembly has been balanced.
My wallet is a tad lighter, but none the less, it's done. Summit Racing has supplied a gasket set, and bearings. As far as the thrust face of the rear main - the new set has copper showing. Sooo, I'm OK there. :D

Also, I got a 24in x 3in glass pack, for the Avalanche. :mrgreen:
Installation coming soon.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Fred32v

Winter Fun

Post by Fred32v »

Looks like it is about to get really exciting. That monster mouse will probably be running smoothly before Easter or something.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
markss327

Post by markss327 »

The 406 has been re-assembled. :D
I'm now waiting for a thaw. My plans are to pressure wash the engine compartment, and front clip suspension. Then, just 'rattle can' paint the area. This all has to be done outside. Other items needing attention are the fuel line. Current routing has the line awfuly dang close to the exhaust. The battery cable is in same situation. Once I get under the car, both items should get updated at the same time. The heater core needs RnR. It's had a small leak for the last 5 years. You only really notice it when running in de-frost mode. The inside of the windshield gets foggy. AND, it smells bad too.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I'm still waiting of warmer weather. I've borrowed a pressure washer, 13hp and 2600psi.
I should be able to do some damage with that!!!!

The heater core has been replaced, but not yet installed.

The fuel line is done from the tank, to under the back seat. The battery cable has been re-routed.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

April 10, 2007
The heater core and housing assembly have been re-installed. -Only took three times to get it in right.... :)
I've started the pressure washing, last week when the temps hit 80 or so. I've found that using the 36in wand on the end of the washer, can prove difficult. SO.... I've come up with a 10in wand, with a 90deg end. Haven't used it yet, but it looks promising. I'm experimenting with the color I want to to the engine area in. Of coarse, it has to be black, but flat, gloss, semi-gloss..... The flat looks the nicest, but doesn't hide surface irregularities. I'm leaning toward the semi-gloss.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Fred32v

Semi-Gloss

Post by Fred32v »

Sounds like Semi-Gloss is the answer.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Not a Nova related issue, but an Avalanche one. I didn't want to start another thread for this.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/ca ... 072.0.html

Hopefully, all has been resolved.

BP- Jeff Gill in service, is a great guy!!!!
I really miss having a sales connection. Oh, yea, the test drives were cool too!
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

The pressure washer was a disappointment.
I guess I expected it to take off more than possible. It did make an improvement on the condition of the engine compartment. And, it took off excess grease from all the front suspension. I guess I expected a paint-ready surface, after use. Nope. To get the desired results, I probably should have used a chemical paint stripper. But, not happening.

Tiresmoker- all rubber dust cups are still intact.... :)

The fenders are all masked off, and I'm using 'Scotch Bright' to go over all the surfaces. I've started on the drivers side. So far, so good. Not show quality, but an improvement.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

The engine compartment has been painted. The engine is back in, just in last night... it's just sitting there. Nothing is connected. I'm now cleaning the underside of the hood, and getting it ready for paint. My goal now, is to have it running in two weeks. I'd like to have it ready for the Mayfield Road Cruise. I think that's June 9th ???

On another issue, Mr 72Deuce needs to update his stuff. The Deuce is history. And has been for quite some time. In it's place is...... I'll just hint, it's an SS. Deuce, update please :) It's this same guy who has motivated me to get my Nova back up. It doesn't help any, that he lives two doors away either. Why, just the other day, the X-Deucer was cruising down the street, and all I heard, was blower belt whine -oops.... 8)

We sorta have a side bet going.... a quarter mile bet. He's heaver, less gear, but has boost, or should I say - pressure. Meanwhile, I'm lighter, better gear, and actually more CID. By August sometime, we'll know.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI