1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Happy Days are Here Again ...

Post by Maverick »

I think the trans issue is resolved!! :mrgreen:

Got a transmission pressure gauge http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OU ... ailpages00 from Amazon. Connected it to the c6 test port, zip tied it to the rear view mirror, and ran thru the pressure tests.

After readings for the transmission as is, the plan was to adjust the vacuum modulator for higher pressure, thus later and firmer shifts. Turns out the modulator that was in there isn't adjustable.

But, the parts purchased for the '81 F150 driven back from Arizona included a spare modulator. It also was correct for the '78 Continental, and its adjustable. :P Slipped it in, reran the pressure measurements with it adjusted as it came in the box, and saw significantly higher pressures.

Following table records the pressures before and after the modulator change.

Under normal, city driving, the 1-2 shift would occur in a few feet and the 2-3 shift in maybe 30 feet. 1-2 shift is still pretty early but 2-3 shift occurs at 30-40 MPH, which is good. Shifts are a little firm but not unexpected with the performance valve body. I'm a lot happier with the converter and transmission. All for a $33 gauge and a $10 modulator I already had.

Now I need that 3.25 Traction Loc. :D
Last edited by Maverick on Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick
wxo

Re: 1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Post by wxo »

If you consider what you were thinking of paying for previous solutions, it's like getting the rear end for free! :mrgreen:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Thanks, WXO, for suggesting posting an image of the spreadsheet printout. Its edited in to the above post.
Maverick
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

That is good news on the trans and great luck on having the adjustable one handy.
Matt Sutter
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Just learned of a possible cause of the tendency of the Lincoln to run 10-30 degrees hotter than expected with the 180 degree thermostat. I wasn't aware that a "hi flow" thermostat is speced for the 460. Not sure if the one that's in there is hi flow or not. This one will go in sometime before next Summer. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BW ... PDKIKX0DER
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Got the 3.25 TractionLoc installed in the Lincoln. Its not going to be a great highway gear, but I guess I knew that. It'll be much better around town. Moves much easier. I've only driven it home from the rear axle shop. Break in requires no spirited driving and no sustained highway miles for 500 miles. :shock: That's going to be a challenge. Gotta get it done before the strip opens in the Spring.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Wal Mart, grocery store, auto parts store, church... it all ads up. It's still fall down there, so go for a nice trip on two lane roads for a whole day. Can't think of anything I'd rather do than cruise in the fall in my Big Block Lincoln. :D

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Basement Paul wrote:Wal Mart, grocery store, auto parts store, church... it all ads up. It's still fall down there, so go for a nice trip on two lane roads for a whole day. Can't think of anything I'd rather do than cruise in the fall in my Big Block Lincoln. :D

-BP
Right. Just wasn't expecting that much of a break in. New cars don't come with those restrictions.

There are a lot of very pleasant 2-laners around here. US-1 North to Petersburg is one that I've driven and enjoyed. Lots of Civil War history there with museums, battlefields, etc. There is a self-guided tour of Lee's retreat from the Petersburg siege to his surrender at Appomattox that's all back roads. Been wanting to do that anyway. A couple of trips like that and the break in will be more than done.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I was surprised to see I haven't posted on the Lincoln thread in two months. There hasn't been much Lincoln activity. Too many other issues, e.g., shed roof, and cold weather doesn't make me feel like getting out in the garage.

Took it out a month or so ago and had to return home with it running poorly, stumbling and stalling. It was a cold day and engine temp only got to about 150. Thermostat must be stuck open. Let it idle in 45* weather today and it didn't quite get to 150.

There's another one waiting to go in. Earlier I learned that the 460 uses a high flow thermostat. Who knew? No idea if the aftermarket thermostat that went in with the rebuild is high flow or not. Got a high flow and it will go in when I feel like draining the radiator.

(Don't know why the image is sideways, I rotated it before posting.)

Its been cold blooded since the rebuild with the no-heat Edelbrock intake, Quick Fuel carb and dual cold air intakes. So, the cold air intakes have been disconnected for the Winter. I'll put 'em back on in the Spring.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Replaced the thermostat. The replacement was identical - also a high flow -- except it worked. Idling in high 40s, temp got to 175*. Guess it'll still get pretty warm in the Summer but I'm no longer worried about fuel vaporization. Don't mind it running at 205-210* as long as it RUNS!!

When WXO and I were out in the Lincoln the rear tire(s) broke loose but it felt like just the right rear. :( Jacked up the rear end and tested the limited slip and it held firm. So, I know its working -- maybe not enough?

On another run, the right rear brake locked up. Seems OK now. I suspect the guys got some grease on the shoes when they swapped the rear end gears. Won't worry about it unless it happens again.

Speedometer was fast before the change from 2.50 to 3.25 rear gears. Now its outrageous! Pulled the driven speedo gear and its a 16 tooth gear. Ordered a 21 tooth, which is the most count Ford makes. Think it'll be about right. An aftermarket 23 tooth gear is available but a caution goes with it that it's only good for about 25K miles due to poor mesh with the drive gear.

Gotta change the speedo gear before getting on an Interstate or the 85 MPH speedo will be pegged and then some. That's the last thing I know of that needs to be changed before a road trip. Getting close. :D
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

The 21-tooth speedo gear is about right with current tires -- about 3 MPH fast at any speed.

Took it back to East Coast Gear Supply to get the rear end grease changed (recommended after 500 miles) and see about the non-functioning Traction Loc. Stopped in front of their shop and gave the Traction Loc a test. :mrgreen: Proved it wasn't functioning with a one-wheel peal.

So,they pulled it out and found a broken spider gear?? :?: Nothing I've done should have broken anything. Guess the used TL they sold me wasn't right. Had them replace the used TL with a new, stronger unit. This one works. They gave me credit for the price of the used, defective TL.

In this warmer weather, the engine still maintains close to 180*. I'm now thinking the defective thermostat wasn't functioning at all - just stuck half way open causing it to overheat in the Summer and run cold in the Winter. In any case, all seems well now.

Took it on a road trip to Petersburg, VA with two friends and visited two Civil War sites: a Colonial era cemetery/church and the infamous crater blown in the Confederate defenses by the Union army. They dug a 500' tunnel under the Confed's defenses, filled it with 8000 lbs of power, and blew a crater that's still there. Didn't work out well for the Union army. As the Union rushed thru the hole in the defenses, the Rebs lined up on the brims and picked them off.

The church has a Tiffany stained glass window for each of the Confederate states. BEAUTIFUL windows with 3D effects is hands and faces. Spectacular!

Weather permitting, WXO, another friend and I will take the Lincoln to the drag strip on 4/7 and get a time. HP/weight should be about the same as the Maverick but I'm not expecting to get that big, old girl thru the traps as quickly. We'll see.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Awesome to see that you're running strong and driving all over the place. Should be a fun summer!

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Basement Paul wrote:Awesome to see that you're running strong and driving all over the place. Should be a fun summer!

-BP
Thanks,BP. I now have enough confidence in the car to take the wife on a road trip. Just need to make a plan.
Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I think it's important to show her that you got your value out
of the rear end work by showing her first hand how well it works!

GM
wxo

Post by wxo »

We will provide HD video of the debut. :mrgreen: