1972 Maverick Sprint

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Better!

Post by Maverick »

While I was waiting for the jet kit to arrive, I pulled the front drums off to check the brakes. Car was pulling to the right when braking. That was disappointing because I replaced EVERYTHING on the brakes except the pedal. BOTH front cylinders were leaking. :x I bought them about 1.5 years ago and didn't save the receipts. Knew I'd be way past the warrantee period if something went wrong and I really don't want to know how much I'm spending on my project. :roll:

Probably bought the wheel cyl from Advance or CarQuest. This time I'll try NAPA. Only $12 each for their SUPER ULTRA AMAZING grade of wheel cyl. :lol: Since the shoes were a mess, I replaced them too. No pull now. :D

The jet kit arrived last evening and I replaced my 64s with 67s. Holley recommends jumping 3 sizes at a time to find the right size. Runs MUCH better. I'd say 80% or 90% of bog is gone. Its good enough now that I can enjoy driving it. WXO and I took a ride this afternoon with WXO taking video.

Freeway:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXWDW8MGwCQ[/youtube]

Geezer smoke:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75tX60Pjk44[/youtube]

Limited slip differential moved up on my priority list. :lol:

When I feel like taking the carb apart for the umpteenth time, maybe I'll go up another jet size and see what happens.
Maverick
wxo

Re: 1972 Maverick Sprint

Post by wxo »

Video is posted.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:Video is posted.
THANKS!! Did you see the tach bounce off the red line? Smoke was really thick behind the car. :lol: I'll have to get the 15" tires ready.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

Usually analog tachs are behind the actual RPMs, so I guess you hit about 7 grand there. :wink:
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Cool videos.
1st video; 3000 rpm @ 70 mph, certainly drivable for a trip to Carlisle.
2nd video; red line wheel spins, ready for a Saturday cruise in Carlisle.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Fred32v wrote:Cool videos.
1st video; 3000 rpm @ 70 mph, certainly drivable for a trip to Carlisle.
2nd video; red line wheel spins, ready for a Saturday cruise in Carlisle.
+1

And yes Walt, we Tiresmokers do love our "moving pictures" -- heh :-)

-Dave
Maverick

AC Hoses

Post by Maverick »

The AC has been getting some attention in the last few days. The Under Hood Kit I got from ClassicAir in Tampa included hoses with correct fittings on one end of each and a BUNCH of fittings to make up the other end. I spent a lot of time thinking about how to route the hoses so they wouldn't intrude on the engine compartment any more than necessary. Finally got comportable with a plan and marked the hoses for length and fitting rotation.

It was time to find someone to crimp the fittings. Heard our big CarQuest store/warehouse did them but learned they didn't do AC hoses. Yellow Pages pointed me to a guy in Raleigh that does "Custom Hoses" so I took mine there yesterday. He did two but said he broke the die for the third, smaller one. Referred me to Brakes, Inc in East Raleigh. (WXO said today that's where he got his truck hoses done.) Took my last hose/fitting there today and after 2+ hours (long story) they did it for free. OK. I'm happy. Also learned they do drive shafts. Wondered who did those around here.

So, back home with my full set of three hoses. Made a new hole in the core support so a 90 degree fitting works for the high pressure line coming from the condenser.

Here's the compressor and the other end of that hose.

The dryer is attached to the bottom of the condenser and the high pressure line comes off the top of the dryer, along the DS apron, under the cowl-shock tower brace, along the firewall to the PS cowl-shock tower brace, and to the expansion valve on the firewall. Low pressure line runs from there back to the compressor.

Put the air cleaner on and you hardly notice all those hoses.

Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Wow, that is super clean. Excellet work, Jim!

-Dave
Maverick

Traction Lock!!!!

Post by Maverick »

I ordered this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-Ford-2 ... 3362086331

Also getting new carrier bearings and (longer) ring gear bolts. I'll get a price for a local shop to install it in my center section and then decide if I want to try installing it myself. Probably not if the price is right. So far the answer is "not much". :roll:
Maverick
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Maverick wrote: Limited slip differential moved up on my priority list. :lol:
I ordered this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-Ford-2 ... 3362086331
Nice choice. :mrgreen:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Maverick

Update

Post by Maverick »

Some updates:

. AC: WXO charged the system. It was a 65 degree day and we quit adding refrigerant when AC was blowing 22 degree air. :shock: The temp sw in the evaporator is working -- it cycles the compressor clutch. Maybe we'll get a chance to give it a good test in Florida in Jan. (NPD All Ford Show in Silver Springs, 1/8-1/9) Hope so. Last year they were scraping frost off the windshields.

. Traction Lock: I have it. And three possibilities for getting it installed. I didn't think the guy at Brakes, Inc (crimped my AC hose) seemed to know much about Ford differentials so I asked around for other options. Got three suggestions back. Will get to it one of these days.

. Upholstery: Received the seat covers from the guy in RI this week. Got them on the buckets ('88 Camaro seats from Carlisle) yesterday and ran out of hog rings. Got Advance Auto to get me some shipped in this morning. Package of 20!!! :( Hardly enough to do either the seat or the back of the back seat. I'll have to find some more before I can finish the back seat. Friend I bought the Sprint from is coming over tomorrow to help me take the bench seats out, install the carpet, and put the buckets in.

. Back up distributor: I have an aftermarket HEI distributor on a Ford shaft. Not sure its working 100% and I want a backup ignition in the car when I take it to Florida. There are about a million options but till now none that I wanted to do. Got this reference from a guy on the Maverick forum. http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm I like it!! Cheap and common parts.

I'll post some pictures when I get the upholstery and carpeting done and when I get my backup ignition.
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: Update

Post by TireSmoker »

Maverick wrote:Some updates:

. Back up distributor: I have an aftermarket HEI distributor on a Ford shaft. Not sure its working 100% and I want a backup ignition in the car when I take it to Florida. There are about a million options but till now none that I wanted to do. Got this reference from a guy on the Maverick forum. http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm I like it!! Cheap and common parts.

I'll post some pictures when I get the upholstery and carpeting done and when I get my backup ignition.
Jim, I got this Ford distributor with some other EFI parts I bought a while back. Can you use it?

-Dave

Maverick

Re: Update

Post by Maverick »

TireSmoker wrote:
Maverick wrote:Some updates:

Jim, I got this Ford distributor with some other EFI parts I bought a while back. Can you use it?

-Dave

Hi Dave,

Do you know what year it is? I need a Duraspark distributor with a steel drive gear. I believe the '85 Mustang GT 5-speed is the only application with that combo. Is it Duraspark? 289/302/5.0? Steel gear or cast? The shank on a cast gear is rough from casting. The shank of the steel gear has a machined surface. Can you get a good close-up picture of the inside of the distributor and another of the gear.

The other way I could go for just a little more money is to find a 289/302 points distributor that someone already swapped gears and it now has the steel gear. If I had one of those, I could install a Pertronix module and have an electronic ignition.

Thanks for thinking about it.

Jim
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I think you're in luck Jim. I glanced at your link and I see them mentioning using the 4-pin HEI module. This distributor certainly looks to have a VR-sensor pickup, compatible with the HEI.

ImageImage
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

That's a Duraspark distributor. But, I can't be sure about the gear. Almost looks like machineing marks on the collar/shank/whatever you call it. Can you tell if its machined or cast?
Maverick