2003 S-10

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Re: 2003 S-10

Post by Fred32v »

Smoke, I have a box of Chevy stuff for you from the Mint one,
if we could get together for a swap some evening this week or ........
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Will they go into a 4L60? Probably same as 700R...

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I'd be surprised if it didn't fit. It's fo-free, so who cares.. :-)

Fred, shouldn't be an issue getting together this week. Pick a night and text me.

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Ok
Fred32v
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The Fo-free yoke worked well, so thanks there. It didn't keep me from making a mess completely, but it could have been worse! Today 32V and I finished pulling the motor / trans assembly out. No major issues in pulling it out. There were a couple wires and brackets we missed, but no damage occurred and nobody got hurt, so no problem. We also got the motor and trans separated.
Bummer is that it doesn't look like my converter will work with the LS flexplate, and it doesn't look like the bell housing from my S-10 will bolt up to the LS assembly the way I would like. There are two bolts on the oil pan of the LS that do not line up with three lower bolt holes on the bell housing I have. I'm hoping to find a bell housing from a Camaro / Firebird to cure the problem. Since it's apart and I need another converter anyway, I'm going to buy the 3000 stall I wanted so I don't have to tear it apart later.

Now hopefully I can get this motor sold quickly so I can pay for all this other stuff. :)

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I just bought this for $60 on ebay. Seems there's pretty much only one LS style bellhousing for a 4L60 trans, so I should be OK. And with some luck, I can get $35-40 back selling mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121821857735

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I was off yesterday and did some wipe down of the engine bay. Not a huge improvement, but wiped off 12 years of dinge. I also got the fuel injection spider swapped out of the V6 and put the stock one back in. I also found more of the stock parts for it to get it ready to sell.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Got my "new" bell housing on Friday and put it on this afternoon. The bolts have the T-50 torx heads on them. This design should be banned from use on any vehicle anywhere. I'm not sure how they got them torqued on there so tight, but I managed to strip the star out of the inside of one of them. So I got the PB Blaster, chisel, and heat and finally got it out. Keep in mind this is a vehicle that has no winters so rust wasn't an issue, AND I was using a brand new T-50 bit. Oh well, not the end of the world. It only took about 20 minutes extra. I'll replace that one with a socket head cap screw (allen head) that I'll borrow from work.
On to selling the engine and supercharger.

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

BP, You may get a laugh or two from this, but several years ago my boss sent me to a Fastener seminar - (don't laugh I never heard of that before either and frankly wondered if this was some twisted form of punishment, but truth be told I ended up being very glad I attended). The humor comes into it when the instructor dropped the story that he was on the official committee that approves new types of fasteners - so I (naturally) saw my chance to BITCH about torx fasteners. Then he drops the bomb that HE was on the committee that actually APPROVED them!!! What!!! Those are utter crapola! He tried to explain all the benefits that were associated with them and I tried to properly convey how us poor slobs stuck working with them absolutely HATE them, but I'm afraid he wasn't buying into any of it!!!! You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Other than that it was an excellent seminar!!!!

Jacin
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So he's only ever been on the installing end of them I'm sure. Some engineers are so caught up in the idea of a product that the practicality goes out the window.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday 32V and I spent several hours fitting the new radiator / fan / condenser assembly. Following the detailed instructions, we were able to cut and drill our way through it and it seems that the radiator assy will fit nicely. We took it back out when we finished (hence, no pics) because I don't want to poke any holes in it or have it in the way at all when we test fit the motor / trans.

Now that the holidays are over, hopefully the project will get back on focus a little. I'm still pretty distracted with the ebay biz, but that's getting close to being under control again. More to come.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday I installed the new torque converter. It seemed to measure up and fit as designed without all the ass-ache I had with the C4 in the Mustang. The flexplate I bought off the scratch & dent shelf needed slight modification. The reason it was there is that there were two 1/2" round holes for mounting the torque converter, and one oblong hole that was 1/2" one way and about 3/8" the other way. With some patience and six different size drill bits, I was able to make the hole round again, and still keep the original location in tact.
The new converter is a 10", 3000-3500 stall with lock up, so it should make my launches pretty sweet, and with the smaller diameter, that motor should rev up pretty quick.
I also got the motor and trans assy back together, installed the new motor mounts both on the motor (left those loose as they are slotted) and in the chassis, and re-gapped the spark plugs to .035 vs .042 factory spec per Trevor's recommendation.
Hopefully next weekend I can drop it in the chassis. I may have to pull the front core support out so the motor will go in more evenly as I think the fuel rails will get in the way if I try to put it in at a crazy angle.
Attachments
two converters.jpg
two converters.jpg (165.65 KiB) Viewed 6754 times
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

-BP
Attachments
ls1 together.jpg
ls1 together.jpg (169.44 KiB) Viewed 6753 times
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

-BP
Attachments
ls1 motor mounts.jpg
ls1 motor mounts.jpg (141.79 KiB) Viewed 6753 times
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Great progress, I'm missing out on so much fun.
Fred32v