Fuel Prices

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

To Sell, or not to sell....

Post by markss327 »

Well, I pulled all my personal belongings out of the AV, gathered up my loan info, got a payoff amount, and went shopping.

BP, maybe you should sit down, take a shot or two, of your favorite adult beverage, before you read on...

I'm on the hunt for a 4cyl, sedan. Searching Auto Trader, I came up with several Dodge Stratus possibilities.
A white, '06 with 20k is sitting at Village Dodge. After a long test drive, it was found acceptable. Clean car-fax. Asking $12995, and offering $13k for the AV, I said "WTF, are you kidding me? Put these two, side by side, and you're saying they have equal value - C-ya". I know trade in value will suck, but not like that.

So after that little event, I'm having second thoughts. The Smoker and I talked a bit about this, and I'm still undecided.

Is there anyone else fickle about their cars, like me? This is actually keeping me awake at nights.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm just thinking that you drive 10 miles each way to work. So let's say it costs you $4 / day in fuel to drive the Avalanche. If you get a four cylinder anything, and it costs you now $3 / day (assuming you get about 26mpg- a realistic average), isn't it worth $1 / day to drive a comfortable, nice, manly vehicle, with a good ride, the ability to tow and haul, and twice the resale value in four years?

Don't just do it because gas prices are higher, you'd be very disappointed in the long run. Do some things to get better mileage instead, like an air intake kit, underdrive pulleys, and maybe a throttle body spacer. I got almost 3mpg in my truck by doing these things, not to mention the truck got faster (a cool by-product).

I'm driving 50 miles per day, and am currently driving a 158 hp Dodge Caliber that gets on average about 25 mpg. It too is "ok" to drive, but I'd rather be getting 20mpg in my V8 T-bird for the extra comfort, power, and options.

Good luck with your decision... I wouldn't get rid of that sweet ride.

-BP
markss327

The AV stays

Post by markss327 »

I've simmered down a bit.
The AV stays. I've re-defined some of my driving habits. True, my commute is only 8 miles on way, but it's the trips to Home Depot, Scouts, Basketball (Daniel)....etc.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

i was afraid you were off the deep end there. cooling off probably will save you money
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

And today begins the upswing in the fuel prices... time to see if we can really handle it or not. :roll:

-BP
markss327

Fuel$

Post by markss327 »

Yup, $3.45/gal purty much everywhere in Lake County. I keep telling myself, 'there are others worse off than me'. And, there are. I smile every time I see a 2500/4x4 with a plow. Sure, you got some 'pennies from heaven', i.e. snow, but, it's over for now. My politically savvy co-workers advise that $4/gal will be reality by summer. Then, once the fall elections are over, and Bush is out, then, look for a drop in fuel prices.

In the back of my mind, I'm still calculating the savings of a Cobalt/stick. Still gona run $14-15k. Then, thanks to Mostmint, I see a bunch of '07 Impalas out, (not looking for an SS), but lots of 1LT level cars with 20 to 30k for $14,499. Seems like a better value than a bran-new Cobalt.

Bottom line, the AV stays. It's gona hurt, but I can't wait for my first $100 fill-up. :roll:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

$3.19 to $3.21 here in Atlanta. It sucks dropping $75 to $100 every fill-up. What makes it OK for me is what a luxury it is to drive, all the time I spend behind the wheel makes up for the $.

I agree it will hit $4.00 this summer. I don't know how Bush leaving will make it less. IF a democrat is elected we will have higher taxes (gas is taxed already fairly significantly). The only way I see it go down is DOMESTIC DEVELOPMENT. Then the ARAB's will see we are serious and up their output, they sure would hate for us to go away as a customer.
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

BP and I briefly talked about this last night on the phone. When did gas hit $2/gallon, 2003? roughly? So in 5 years, the price of gas has doubled. 5 years. I have difficulty believing the conspiracy theorists that Bush/Cheney are somehow have a direct hand in this, because I generally dont believe conspiracy theories. However, they were both in the oil industry. Then there was their closed-door energy policy meetings that only included oil companies, oil companies that have been posting record profits for a couple years now. It doesn't pass the smell test.

Going to a more fuel efficient car makes sense, IMO, only if you're planning on replacing a current vehicle anyway. It doesn't make sense as a reactionary measure to high gas prices. Think of all the money in taxes that gets wasted. (sales tax, title fees, etc)

I found an interesting link from the Dept. of Energy, http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleu ... story.html

Click on Ohio and you'll see weekly gas prices from 2003 forward (in Excel format).
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

IMO the problem is compounded because our dollar keeps losing value vs. other currencies, so it takes more of them to buy the same amount of oil. All becuase of rampant speculation on real estate creating tons of bad mortgages that banks now can't unload.

Also a lot of speculation in oil right now, since stocks are in the tank. Once the stocks get back in gear I think the oil will drop - probably to $80 or less per barrel before end of 2008.

Capitalism is a fascinating thing.

Oh the SS is averaging 17.8 mpg on my work commute.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

The SS average 17.8? My Avalanche averages 16.5. I would have thought it would be more. So I have a couple questions.

A. How much do you "get on it"?
B. What does the sticker say mpg is?
C. Don't the smiles pay for themselves?
Matt Sutter
markss327

Fuel $

Post by markss327 »

Right now, the DIC on my AV says average MPG is 14.7. This is the lowest EVER. Well, except when towing. I blame oxygenated fuels, and lot's of excess idling - like last Saturday. Yea, I was out and about in the blizzard... BTW, a two wheel drive AV just will not go thru a foot of snow. I got stuck several times. Anyway, mileage, normally, I get 15.6 - 15.8. I can live with that. I have a trip to Dayton planned for Monday/Tuesday. I expect to see 20-21 on the Interstate. I think that's pretty impressive for a 5000lb truck. Our 2002 Dodge minivan gets 21 overall - according to it's 'puter.

Politics and fuel prices.
First, I don't follow politics. I just don't have the interest. BUT, I do believe in a connection between oil (barrel) prices, and who's in the oval office. Let's flash back to November, 2007, election time. Fuel prices fell. We had three weeks of reduced prices at the pump. Then, after the elections, fuel went back up.
Coincidence? I think not. What gives?
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

No complaints on the mileage yet. Sticker says 16-24. I only have 100 miles or so since I set the mileage meter. I have not been getting on it mush at all since I reset the meter. I had it in for a four wheel alignment and they must have been idling it (or standing on it?) cause the MPG had dropped quite a bit. After my trip in to work today the mileage was up to 18.2.

It might be a wee bit colder here, and that affects mileage, especially on short commutes. I have a 15 mile commute, 9 of which is freeway. So I do not get a lot of freeway time to boost up the mileage. The Camaro is lucky to make 20 this time of year.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

drop the spare tire, carry fix-a-flat and some tire plugs.

I can see it getting 20mpg. Man that's cool.
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Oh there are other plans to help the mileage - like freeing up the intake and exhaust. Maybe there might be some other benefits to those changes too. :wink:
markss327

New Ride

Post by markss327 »

Well, the Avalanche's days are numbered. It's for sale. My car trailer has been sold.

To replace the AV, I now have a 2005 Impala LS. 3.4, buckets, alloys, sun roof, and even a wing. :roll:.
No DIC, - fist fill up (well actually the second) returned 28.4 mpg. :shock: :D :shock: :D :shock: :D

The Nova stays. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI