NASCAR in Geauga County??

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

VeeDub

NASCAR in Geauga County??

Post by VeeDub »

Apparently so!
I was on the phone with a guy from Summit Racing, we got to B.S.ing. He told me about a place "long ago" called Bainbridge Speedway. This than became a horse racing track until the grandstands burned down. The track remained, abandoned -for about 10 years. Than...according to the nice Summit guy it became Geauga Lake amusement park. Heres what I found after a quick "goooglin"
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-raci ... nascar.htm Its about halfway down. I found another site that had photos to download....but the wanted me to set up an account.
Anybody else got any more info? I grew up in Geauga and around racing, but I never knew this. Cool stuff. I'd love to see some pics
MostMint

Re: NASCAR in Geauga County??

Post by MostMint »

I have no reason not to believe this guy but there is another Bainbridge in southern Ohio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bainbridge ... unty,_Ohio

That one is tiny so it is probably not the Bainbridge in question.

Bainbridge Township - what you are mentioning, always used the Chagrin Falls post office. I did not realize Bainbridge Township made it all the way over to Geauga Lake. It's funny they autocross there now in the parking lot.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

MostMint wrote: I did not realize Bainbridge Township made it all the way over to Geauga Lake. It's funny they autocross there now in the parking lot.
That's how we got to talking about it. I was calling on some energy suspension urethane rear shock coil spring isolaters.(not in stock :C.....) I said I needed it for next weekend, an autocross. He asked me "where do you do that around here?" I told him "geauga lake parking lot" Thats when he gave me the geauga lake "race history" story.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

That's really cool! I did a little more google searching, and found this post:

http://www.ohiovalleydtr.com/showthread.php?t=7361

I saw the first pic in the post and went to google maps, and sure enough, look for Pettibone & Aurora roads. It's not at Geauga Lake *exactly*, but right down the street. You can make out one end of the track in the trees. After reading the rest of the posts, there is a guy there seems to have a lot of info on it.

-Dave
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Heres the map from that page Tiresmoker found ^^
Yeah 3 and 4 are still visible on google maps. Home depot parking lot!
Years ago I rode my Honda Xl500 down those railroad tracks -right by the back straight :)
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The cart path on the golf course looks like it would make a sweet road course. I wonder when it finally closed...

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

This is like 3 miles from my place in Twinsburg.
As soon as I can get some time, I'm gona take the dog, and take a walk, at whats left of turns 3 and 4.
This is some cool history.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!