Weird car shopping

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

AKROVER

Weird car shopping

Post by AKROVER »

I am moving to Brazzaville in the Republic of Congo for two years. Our current vehicle is inappropriate. I have received quite a bit of guidance. I shouldn’t bring anything that I am concerned about because driving is a little crazy in the city. The guidance further states that 4X4 is not necessary in the city, but recommended (in the city :shock: ). High clearance is necessary because the roads flood in the rainy seasons. It also says that 4X4 is necessary if you want to leave the city on the weekends (which I will definitely be doing). Size of vehicle is important as we will be living in a city; the smaller the better. There is also a size restriction on shipping so really big vehicles like a Suburban aren’t even possible. There is only one dealer in Brazzaville (two in the entire country, both are Toyota). None of the Toyota drive trains are the same as in North America and few of the models are the same. Repairs for anything will be difficult. Reliability is going to be important. I will have to bring extra tires, filters, and anything else that I might need in two years and not be able to find locally.

In addition to this guidance, there is a fact about auto insurance that few of us think about; it doesn’t cover acts of war. Should I be evacuated because the country falls into civil war (again), I could lose the entire vehicle. This isn’t much of a concern, but I don’t think I will be rolling those dice with a Range Rover. I don’t want to take junk because reliability is going to be so important, but, combined with the potential for bumping my way through traffic, I don’t want to take on too big of a financial exposure. I can't actually take on too much exposure anyway since financing isn't an option; short of dipping into less liquid assets, I really need to stick to the amount sitting in the bank right now.

I think I know what I am going to get, but I thought I’d share my weird car shopping situation. What would you get?
Maverick

Re: Weird car shopping

Post by Maverick »

I assume leasing isn't an option. Wouldn't it be better to buy something there and leave it there and avoid shipping and parts issues.
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Is there an economic factor in not buying a Toyota locally? That way parts are somewhat available, without having to maintain your own inventory. Maybe the prices or expected re-sale after 2 years is too low? That's an interesting tidbit about "Acts of War". I suppose knowing that is pretty important, but how did you come to find it out? Conversation with agent, talking with people who've already been there... ?

-Dave
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

Leasing is out as few financial institutions are willing to let you take a car out of state, let alone the country. I took a serious beating on a leased vehicle when I moved to Alaska because the leasing company was so restrictive.

There appear to be two issues with buying local. Prices are outrageous (no competition, no market, and I think serious taxes). The second issue is that upon departure, I would have to sell it since it wouldn't meet US standards for emissions or bumpers. Selling a vehicle in an unknown market with a deadline is a concern. It is all a best guess about which pains will be least, but looking at the pictures of the dealership there, my hope is to get through my two years without any mechanical needs. Since they will ship my vehicle in and out and I am pretty innovative with duct tape, I am leaning toward a North American vehicle and crossing my fingers.

We have received lots of interesting training including avoiding PTSD, the side effects of anti-malarial medications, and the limitations of insurance in protecting your personal belongings. These are harsh topics, but this will be an adventure. Check your own insurance policy. I bet it has an exclusion for acts of war. You might reside in a safer location, but it could happen. Of course the loss of your vehicle might be the least of your concerns in such a situation.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I think I would try to find a slightly older, low mileage, Jeep CJ with a hardtop.
Or maybe a slightly used Toyota FJ or Land Cruiser. Maybe a Peugeot 4x4.
I give up, it'll be interesting to see what you wind up with. :?
As for parts, I might take advantage of the internet and Fedex.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

A two door S-10 Blazer ZR2 is reasonably compact, relatively indestructable, and shouldn't cost too much. It has WAY more room inside than a Wrangler, and still has serious off road ability. If that's too old, Suzuki's XL-7 is a full frame small ute that was what the Chevy Tracker was based on. They run FOREVER. I'm not sure the last year they made them, but I believe it was around 2009 or 10.

WIll you be able to send in parts from the internet??

-BP
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

I will be limited on size and weight for shipping of parts so it all depends on what I need. Delivery times will be painfully long, a couple weeks minimum and that is after I diagnose the problem (I'd guess three weeks for a diagnosis with a 50% accuracy :lol: ). I am sure we will be buying lots of things on the internet, but hopefully not car parts. For items under the size limits, shipping cost isn’t a problem as I get a US address and then the government handles it from there (like military).

The CRV and RAV4 are probably tougher than I give them credit for, but they just seem like the wrong design for a serious environment. Enjoyed the CRV video, though.

I knew I kept thinking Suzuki had something cool, but I didn’t go back far enough in my research. 2006 was the last year for the body on frame XL-7. They continued the name for three more years with a silly oversized crossover.

So here is my thinking. Oddly for a guy who just travelled all over North America in a 2001 van, I am feeling uncomfortable with too much age or mileage for this situation. Of course with a very good income coming in again and a lifestyle that will include free housing for the foreseeable future, my tolerance for financial risk has been raised. In recent years, as far as I can tell after countless hours of internet research, there are only three reasonable choices; Wrangler, FJ, and Xterra. While the FJ looks cool, it is weird. It is physically the largest of the three (doesn’t really look it) and I simply don’t know what idiot designed an offroad vehicle with such poor visibility. Nissan and Jeep both have a presence in Africa, Nissan more than Jeep, but like Toyota, Nissan has different models and drive trains. All three brands are probably equally problematic for local support, but nothing is insurmountable with enough money. I like the Wranglers, both two and four door. I test drove a four door and it was pretty cool – love the new engine this year. I drove the Xterra as well. It is pretty basic and the design hasn’t been touched in quite awhile which should be good for reliability. It is deceptablively small, not as small as the two door Wrangler, but still nice and compact. I think the used market is pretty hot right now as prices seem very high, especially for lightly used vehicles. Prices on new Jeeps are even more shocking, especially with the hard top. Xterras have huge incentives right now and the dealers are even marking them down further. So I think I am going to hop on a new Xterra with all the offroad stuff (skid plates, bigger tires, and a locking rear). They sticker at just over 31 but appear to be available under 25 (people are still asking more for lightly used ones).

Does anyone know anything bad about the Nissan drivetrain? I have found a few reports of transmission problems, both manual and automatic, but nothing recent or prevalent. The engine seems very well established. I am pretty confident that I can get two years without any trouble. Nissan doesn’t have a good reputation for friendly warranty service, but I will be paying for repairs anyway. If I buy it now, I will have several months to shake it down before shipping it (we leave in February, would probably ship the vehicle a month or so ahead of time).

Thanks for the ideas as I am feeling a little more confident that I have considered all the angles. There is never a perfect vehicle for any situation, but this one feels like a roll of the dice.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Just to chime in... I've recently driven a Ford Explorer Sport-Trac... It has
decent ground clearance, 4 doors, and a covered bed (factory tonneau cover thing)...
It seems like a nice truck, and dependability wise hasn't had a failure in 51k miles.
It's power is adequate (not a supercharged Regal or LS1 but...) and it's comfortable
to be in while driving... I've road tested it multiple times and wouldn't mind driving
it daily if I had to drive a truck..... Just a late suggestion....

GM
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I'm not sure I would want to to take a new truck to Congo. But I see your point about dependability. Would 31k US buy you a car from there to address the parts issue?
Matt Sutter
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

The Explorer Sport-Trac is a very long vehicle, relatively speaking. In our world of full size crew cab long beds, it seems like a compact vehicle, but in a world of parallel parking in the city or turning around on dead end double tracks in the bush, it is huge (almost 3 feet longer than Xterrra, 5 feet more than a 2 door Wrangler). My perceptions of vehicles really changed when the first specification I researched became overall length. Most of the Ford/GM trucks and remaining body on frame SUVs are too big. They also aren't quite as hardened as the factory offroaders I narrowed in on, but much of that could be addressed aftermarket. The hard core off roaders often buy less hardened vehicles (e.g., base Jeeps instead of Rubicons) and modify to their preferences, but that is more effort than I have time for and introduces some additional concerns for reliability.

I haven't seen any new prices in Congo (from the pictures, I don't think the dealership maintains inventory), but it looks like 25K would get me a very used truck there. I don't know what is driving the pricing, but shipping is very expensive and some countries do charge as much as 100% import tax. I originally thought that I might even be able to make a profit by selling a vehicle there, but because the US Government is providing the inbound shipping, any profit from such a sale legally must be donated to charity. I could still possibly get all my money back at the end if someone wants to buy it and there isn't some hidden importation tax that kills the deal, but I could still possibly lose all my money as well. It really comes down to financial risk tolerance.
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

I should add that from a car perspective, I am disappointed to be going to Africa. Had we been assigned to Europe, I think the purchase would be quite a bit more exciting. I test drove a GTI and that was so much more fun than a stupid truck. Of course the disappointment is only from a car perspective as Africa will be far more of an adventure.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

ROVER driving in the Congo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZBmI7aOLOE
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Seems like you need a military type vehicle like a Jeep - as has been mentioned. The Hummer is like a military vehicle but really too big based on your requirements. What about the H3 - is that still too big or what are the other issues?

What is your living space like? Can you have two vehicles? If you got two the same (say 10 yr olds) you would have spare parts to avoid down time while replacement parts arrive. This way you could go with something far less expensive.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

That Rover owner is going to be ordering lots of parts. Fun video, but there is a serious side. I've met a lot of people who are taking training in exactly that kind of driving. The pictures of the American armored vehicle in Mexico that got shot at yesterday looked like there might have been a little bit of offense as well.

I looked at H3, but it is quite a bit bigger than the others. Styling is a bit over the top, too, so it might feed into stereotypes about Americans.

We can only ship one vehicle on the government's dime.