Dunn Benson Drag Strip

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Dunn Benson Drag Strip

Post by Maverick »

There was supposed to be T&T this evening. WXO, another friend Keith with a Mitsubitsi, bro-in-law Dan (photographer), and Keith's grand-daughter all drove 50 miles only to find it CLOSED!!! :shock: :( We had checked their web page and tried to call to confirm they'd be open but nothing worked.

So, we did a couple of burnouts in front ot the closed strip and drove 50 miles back home. We'll try again next week.

Missed my chance 'cause WXO had a full load of fuel. :D
Maverick
Maverick

Re: Dunn Benson Drag Strip

Post by Maverick »

Weather permitting, we're going back the D-B Drag Strip on Thursday next week.

Anyone feel like predicting again? Remember, its an 1/8th mile track. This time I'll try a little throttle control if necessary. Closest guess gets an atta boy.

Previously 9.738 ET @ 79.94 MPH

. Drag radials at 18 PSI rather than street tires at 22 PSI
. 2" shorter rear tires.
. Will try to remember to remove the air cleaner this time.
. 2400 stall rather than stock
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I used to run my drag radials in my Trans Am around 16psi with good luck. The Caddy gets closer to 20psi because of the extra weight. The key to drag radials is making them HOT. You better do a good burnout or you might as well have regular tires on there. A good routine is to back into the water and drive out into a dry spot, then do your burnout and pull up from there. You don't need more dry hops, just pull up to the line from there.

Good luck!

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Not only is the bleach pit a great way to heat up tires for the next run, it's a
great place to look really cool with smoke pouring out of your wheel wells.
Even if your et sucks, and you blow a shift or something, you can feel good
about yourself knowing that you looked sweet, which is half of the fun of going to
the track!!!

GM
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

GMJohnny wrote:Not only is the bleach pit a great way to heat up tires for the next run, it's a
great place to look really cool with smoke pouring out of your wheel wells.
Even if your et sucks, and you blow a shift or something, you can feel good
about yourself knowing that you looked sweet, which is half of the fun of going to
the track!!!

GM
What he said. :-)
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Basement Paul wrote:I used to run my drag radials in my Trans Am around 16psi with good luck. The Caddy gets closer to 20psi because of the extra weight. The key to drag radials is making them HOT. You better do a good burnout or you might as well have regular tires on there. A good routine is to back into the water and drive out into a dry spot, then do your burnout and pull up from there. You don't need more dry hops, just pull up to the line from there.

Good luck!

-BP
I'll do it. Thanks. Jim
Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

Along the lines of what BP said.. You want to be completely OUT of the water when you start your burnout. Otherwise you are just throwing water all over and up into the wheelhouse and chassis, where it will drip back out when you stage. Go into the water, no line loc, hit the throttle to spin the tires in the water and pull out, then move about 5 feet or so further to make sure you are out of the water and the "dragged" water, set your lineloc, do your burnout.
Then go like hell at the green :shock:
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I actually try to stay out of the puddle - just roll up close to it then follow oldvettedad's steps. Keeps water out of the grooves and off the fenderwells.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

oldvettedad wrote:Along the lines of what BP said.. You want to be completely OUT of the water when you start your burnout. Otherwise you are just throwing water all over and up into the wheelhouse and chassis, where it will drip back out when you stage. Go into the water, no line loc, hit the throttle to spin the tires in the water and pull out, then move about 5 feet or so further to make sure you are out of the water and the "dragged" water, set your lineloc, do your burnout.
Then go like hell at the green :shock:
Oh, MAN!! Another project. :mrgreen:

Sounds good, other than no line loc. I'll try it with left foot on the brake. :twisted: Thanks.
Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

[quote="Maverick"
Oh, MAN!! Another project. :mrgreen:

Sounds good, other than no line loc. I'll try it with left foot on the brake. :twisted: Thanks.[/quote]

Actually they advertise line locs as a safety device. You know as a way to hold on a hill. So it would be for safety :wink:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Actually they advertise line locs as a safety device. You know as a way to hold on a hill. So it would be for safety
That's good!! Also, how about a leak-down tester for front brakes? :lol:
Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

Maverick wrote:
Actually they advertise line locs as a safety device. You know as a way to hold on a hill. So it would be for safety
That's good!! Also, how about a leak-down tester for front brakes? :lol:
Many of the serious racers do have a brake pressure gauge on the front brakes. So they will see "leakage" if present.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

oldvettedad wrote:
Many of the serious racers do have a brake pressure gauge on the front brakes. So they will see "leakage" if present.
I remember back when I was in high school, there were this father/son (McFetrich?) that both bracket raced 4-door 70s Novas. The son had a healthy small block in his, the old man had a milder big-block, both were 12 second cars which was kinda fast then, and I seem to remember them being above-average bracket racers. And I specifically remember the old man having a brake-pressure gauge right by his steering column. I think he used it to stage consistently, at the same brake pressure. I had never seen that before, and really haven't seen it since.
wxo

Post by wxo »

The next GM vs Ford grudge match is Thursday night March 15th. The forecast is for an 82 degree day. Not quite the cool weather we were hoping for.
I've got much of my gas burned off and should be running near empty when we get to Benson.
I've been tweaking the shift points with the HP Tuners and I've figured out how to log the necessary data during my runs. It is so cool to tune with a laptop. I love this stuff. :mrgreen:
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I was laughing out loud when WXO posted that he's running the gas low and
should be about empty when he makes it to the strip. Most people worry about
running out of gas and keeping the tank full!! It's funny how we calculate our
consuption so you can run with the least amount of fuel in the tank and still
be able to make it to a station before you run dry!!!! :P

GM