1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

NO Traction!!

Post by Maverick »

We made it to the drag strip today but the Maverick wouldn't hook up. First run I avoided the water and just pulled up to the lights. Wanted to try leaving in Drive and see when the 1-2 upshift would come. When the tires spun I stayed in it hoping they'd bite. No way!! Can't let off or it'll sihft into 2nd too soon. At 100 ft it started getting squirrly and I had to let off. Just drove to the end.

2nd run I again avoided the water but did clean the tires on the way to the lights. This time I leave in low but still way too much tire spin -- its not going anywhere. By the time I shift into 2nd I'm looking at WXO's tail lights. I think I'm gaining on him but no chance to catch him in the 1/8th. The TB SS is awsome!! Whooped again. :shock:

Guess I either need something other than street tires or a WHOLE lot of practice to get it launched. Don't think either is going to happen.

All this is with the stock converter. The 2400 stall TC is gonna make matters worse I suppose. I'll still put it in to loosen it up on idle but I sure don't need more torque during launch with the current tires.

On the drive home I thought I should have tried launching in 2nd gear. The previous engine (5.0) would spin the tires in 2nd gear (did that once by mistake :oops: so the 347 will probably do it even more. Be interesting to see how it would launch with the 2400 stall TC leaving in 2nd. :?:

On a positive note, the car ran great. It just doesn't like to idle below 900 RPM. 850 is OK sometimes but 900 is more to its liking. Hope the new TC is significantly looser on idle than stock so I can slow the no-load idle some.
Maverick
Fred32v

Re: 1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Post by Fred32v »

The strip can be a cruel place. Sounds like not much traction compound was applied.
I actual think the loose converter might make it easier to modulate the power to the wheels.
Well you know that Maverick will fly, now you just have to get it to stay on the ground.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Fred32v wrote:The strip can be a cruel place. Sounds like not much traction compound was applied.
I actual think the loose converter might make it easier to modulate the power to the wheels.
Well you know that Maverick will fly, now you just have to get it to stay on the ground.
That would be nice. I need to find a deserted parking lot where I could try some different ways to launch it.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Maybe a few more trips to the dragstrip for test n tune....

Getting it dialed in is part of the fun.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Time Slip Tells a Different Story

Post by Maverick »

After the 1/8th mile runs with what seemed like no traction, I didn't really focus on the time slips. Got back to them this morning and the time slip from our second run, with the TB SS and Maverick together, tells a story quite different from what I thought a saw and what I remember. The TB SS is car number 11111 and the Maverick is car number 72.

Ignore the slip on the right. I had to let off around 100' when it started to go sideways for lack of traction. Also ignore the temp and humidity. It might feel like 167* and 100% humidity in August but Saturday was a beautiful day here. And, ignore the reaction times -- neither of us was familiar with the single flash of yellow lights.

I thought the TB SS was ahead at 60' but the slip says not. I thought the Maverick was pulling on the TB SS at the end but the slip says not. Looks like the TB SS would beat the Maverick even if it had traction. :evil: :oops: :shock: :cry: Any other interpretations?

Gotta find some used tires with better traction (suggestions?) and get the 2400 stall converter in. :twisted:
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Drag radials would take a half second out of your 60 foot time
and you could attack right from the launch.
Hmmm, way into the 13's. Just sayin'.

Many years ago (40) I remember rushing out to buy some wheels and slicks
for my 350 hp 68 Camaro SS396,
because I found out my competion (WXO) had purchased slicks for his
62 Vette with a 350 in it. Sorry, but I see history repeating.
I remember chasing his 67 Nova for quite a while too,
because that Camaro wouldn't perform at the strip like on the street.
It was really fun once I fixed it's carb and traction strip issues.

However, the good old days seem to be now! :lol:
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I remember chasing his 67 Nova for quite a while too,
You'd think he'd give a buddy a break. :lol:
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

You'd think he'd give a buddy a break. :lol:
Well, I arrived at the strip with 100 extra pounds of gas and a tune that doesn't match the modifications.
That's kind of a break. Isn't it? :wink:
wxo

Post by wxo »

Fred32v wrote:Many years ago (40) I remember rushing out to buy some wheels and slicks
for my 350 hp 68 Camaro SS396,
because I found out my competion (WXO) had purchased slicks for his
62 Vette with a 350 in it. Sorry, but I see history repeating.
:lol:
And I'm sure you remember my terrifying trip home from Thompson tied to the back of Al Zaebst's car going down the freeway at 65 miles an hour after I broke an axle with those slicks. :lol:
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

So the 347 is obviously making more power than those Radial T/As can handle! You can see by your MPH you have WAY more power than with the 302! Isn't that like 10 mph more than the 302? You didn't mention wheel hop so I guess thats ok. You need a tire that will hook and you might need to ease it off the line a little. You need seat time at the track now. If it hooks it should run high 8's in the 1/8. (At least thats my prediction) When you get it hooking get rid of any extraneous weight, the air cleaner and give it a little timing and maybe a little more jet!
Remember, you are going up against a computer in thet TB SS! You can't let a "program" beat a "programmer'! :lol:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

And I'm sure you remember my terrifying trip home from Thompson tied to the back of Al Zaebst's car going down the freeway at 65 miles an hour after I broke an axle with those slicks.

The advice I'm getting from the Maverick board is the 8" rear end should be OK with the automatic and BFG g-Force Drag Radials. 8" rear would not be recommended with a standard transmission. Just thought I'd mention my birthday coming up next month. :mrgreen: In case anyone is interested. :lol:

I will install a drive shaft loop.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

oldvettedad wrote:So the 347 is obviously making more power than those Radial T/As can handle! You can see by your MPH you have WAY more power than with the 302! Isn't that like 10 mph more than the 302? You didn't mention wheel hop so I guess thats ok. You need a tire that will hook and you might need to ease it off the line a little. You need seat time at the track now. If it hooks it should run high 8's in the 1/8. (At least thats my prediction) When you get it hooking get rid of any extraneous weight, the air cleaner and give it a little timing and maybe a little more jet!
Remember, you are going up against a computer in thet TB SS! You can't let a "program" beat a "programmer'! :lol:
Oh, yeah!! The power of the 347 showed up on the dyno and in driving it. Much more torquey than the 5.0.

Right, its man vs computer. :lol:
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Located a pair of new 225/50/15 BFG g-Force Drag Radials for $200 on New Bern Craigslist. I'll bry to get them next weekend. Now I need a pair of cheap 15X7 wheels. Those tires are 2.2" shorter than the 235/60/15s that are on there now. That will compensate some for my 3.00:1 rear end ratio.

WXO and I have a tentative plan to install the 2400 stall TC on Thurs, 3/1. Then it'll be time to T&T it again.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Maverick wrote:You'd think he'd give a buddy a break. :lol:
This is tough love. If he went easy on you you would get all complacent. Also he's making this a longer and more interesting project.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

MostMint wrote:
Maverick wrote:You'd think he'd give a buddy a break. :lol:
This is tough love. If he went easy on you you would get all complacent. Also he's making this a longer and more interesting project.
Just joking. :mrgreen: We having a good time with it. Makes it more interesting for both of us :)
Maverick