2008 Trailblazer SS

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

2008 Trailblazer SS

Post by wxo »

I'm really liking the new addition to the family. According to our family tradition, we've named her "Smoke". Anyway, it's a whole lot easier to say than Trailblazer. With the upcoming date at Benson Dragway, I've become somewhat concerned about reports I've read about failing transmissions in this vehicle. Since Smoke doesn't have the number of pedals I'm accustomed to on the driver's floor, I'm not up to date on the care and feed of automatics when it comes to racing. I'm wondering if I should at least install a trans cooler before heading out to the strip. It's been really hot here in NC and I'm thinking this would help ease my anxiety.
Do you guys have any words of wisdom built on experience that would help me figure out what to get?
Maverick

Re: 2008 Trailblazer SS

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:I'm really liking the new addition to the family. According to our family tradition, we've named her "Smoke". Anyway, it's a whole lot easier to say than Trailblazer. With the upcoming date at Benson Dragway, I've become somewhat concerned about reports I've read about failing transmissions in this vehicle. Since Smoke doesn't have the number of pedals I'm accustomed to on the driver's floor, I'm not up to date on the care and feed of automatics when it comes to racing. I'm wondering if I should at least install a trans cooler before heading out to the strip. It's been really hot here in NC and I'm thinking this would help ease my anxiety.
Do you guys have any words of wisdom built on experience that would help me figure out what to get?
No, just second hand info. But, what I've read is that they build heat REAL FAST when the brake is held. And, a higher stall converter also builds heat. My plan is to not try to build RPMs much with the brake on. Might even try to launch from idle to take advantage of "flare" to higher RPMs. If I ever get a higher stall converter, I'll also add a cooler.
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I would have thought that your SS already has a tranny cooler in it.
When I stage, I only take the slop out of the drive train,
launching from just slightly above Idle.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Fred32v wrote: When I stage, I only take the slop out of the drive train,
launching from just slightly above Idle.
Same here.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Fred32v wrote:I would have thought that your SS already has a tranny cooler in it.
It has the stock one in the radiator, but I like the idea of the additional cooling that the aux cooler will give. It makes good sense to me. Since I've asked this question, I've been finding a lot of options out there. I guess I'll just continue the research until I find something I like. I forgot that you guys up North don't have to think about the effects of heat to the degree that we do here.

By the way, thanks for the tips on staging. I would have held the brake and jacked up the revs almost to the point of braking loose. Good thing I asked.
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

wxo wrote:
Fred32v wrote:I would have thought that your SS already has a tranny cooler in it.
It has the stock one in the radiator, but I like the idea of the additional cooling that the aux cooler will give. It makes good sense to me. Since I've asked this question, I've been finding a lot of options out there. I guess I'll just continue the research until I find something I like. I forgot that you guys up North don't have to think about the effects of heat to the degree that we do here.

By the way, thanks for the tips on staging. I would have held the brake and jacked up the revs almost to the point of braking loose. Good thing I asked.
Rev that baby up and launch like a rocket! Don't be a wuss :lol: Oh yeah, remember to bring a tow chain :mrgreen:
wxo

Post by wxo »

Do you think Jim's Maverick will pull it without a tranny cooler? :lol:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:Do you think Jim's Maverick will pull it without a tranny cooler? :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

My 5.3 Silverado has the 4L60 transmission, but that SS has the heavy duty 4L70 transmission,
I don't believe there is any way you could hurt that box one night at a dragstrip.
The truck is relatively light compared with what also uses that box, your only hard on the gas
for less thhan 15 seconds and then your going to wait many minutes before your next pass.
"Don't worry, be happy!" :D
I don't think that a couple of passes will hurt the Maverick, just the way it is.
Your not Campaigning these cars week in and week out. :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Post by wxo »

Your logic is sound except for the fact that I don't know how many passes this truck has had on it in the 43K miles before I got it.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Two things kill transmissions - heat and dirt. I advise adding an external oil filter.

Adding a cooler can't hurt.

If this trans is anything like my SS, it is computer controlled and has torque management. The torque management eases up on the throttle for the shifts.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I agree with pretty much everything Fred said. If you stage hard on the converter (some guys do) and you sit on the starting line like that for 10+ seconds, I'd be worried about heat.

Idle into the first light on the christmas tree. Apply the brakes lightly. Watch your opponent. Don't stall against your converter if he's not even in the first light. Or just wait till he's in the 2nd amber, and then you nudge into your own 2nd amber. Firm on the brakes, and then choose whatever amount of throttle you want to leave with. Do it like this, and you won't have to worry about any heat issues.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I should also add that the guys having problems with the trans in the SS were the ones who override the torque management. I know they want the firm shifts but the stock trans can't handle it - that's why the torque management is in there.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

Thanks, guys, for all the good responses. The tips on staging are especially useful to me. Mostmint's comment on torque management opened a whole new view into the ECM's management of the power application to the drivetrain. Good stuff! Kinda makes me want to get an HP Tuner and start mucking around. 8)
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

Tiresmoker's advice on staging is right on. Don't think about power braking until AFTER both staging lights are on. And then, I wouldn't bring the RPMs up until you see the first yellow. If that is difficult, they do move quick if you are not used to them, then bring the rpms up slightly when staged, and then as high as you feel comfortable with at the first yellow. You will be hard on the converter for only 1.5 seconds at most. With my race car and this is with a racing tranny and converter and tranny brake, I hit the tranny brake at the second stage light, but don't bring the RPMs up until the first yellow. That same teechnique should work (and does we have a guy in our clup with a low 10 second Dodge Challenger that power brakes) for you. I think the maverick will be ok too. The key thing, as mentioned in prior posts, is that you won't be doing Round Robin and going right back to the starting line. There will be time to cool down. You all know the smell of burning tranny fluid, so you'll know if you got too hot.
Good luck guys

Hmm if this works out well, it won't be too long before you want a shift kit and better converter. Hmm, drag radials? Traction bars? A reprogrammed ECM?

And so it begins :mrgreen:

/