Tim knapp's 460 swap into Walt's '69 F250

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

doc

Post by doc »

Congrats Bud!

Nice to see that 460 coming together.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Well the ol' gal is silent again. I tried a lot of things to stop the flow of water from the outside, then decided it's time to start pulling things apart again. After several hours of bathing in antifreeze, I'm close to the timing cover. Tomorrow, I will pull the balancer and the fuel pump and I'm there. :)
wxo

Post by wxo »

At this point, I believe this leak can be attributed to a bad decision on my part. I was too cheap to replace the timing cover when I assembled the motor. I remember questioning how well it would seal. I resurfaced all the bad spots, but in the end I deserve what I got. I should have replaced it. Anyway the job so far has gone well with no surprises. Here's where I am:

I've got a new Dorman timing cover and gaskets coming from RockAuto.
It looks like the Felpro gasket set even includes the small end pieces of the oil pan side rail gaskets. I'll be good to go.
I hope to get them by Monday.
I don't know if you guys know about RockAuto, but I've been using them for parts for quite a while now and highly recommend them for price, quality and service.
Last edited by wxo on Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wxo

Post by wxo »

The leak is fixed.
I believe I'll work on getting a choke next. It's too inconvenient trying to get the motor going without one.
I took her out on the road for the first time with the new motor. I went to the gas station for some midgrade to cut down on the cackling. It didn't help much. I guess I'll cut back on the initial timing to see what happens.
I hope I don't need premium.
While at the gas station, my clutch rod popped off the lever. I drove home with no clutch. I need to figure out how to keep the rod attached to the lever. My first thought was a C-clip. Maybe ACE has one.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I feel like I had a good, productive day yesterday even though most of it doesn't show. Ace Hardward had the
e-clip I needed. It didn't fit exactly like it should because of the shape of the groove in the clutch arm, but I believe it will serve the purpose to keep the rod from slipping off. Not as elegant as I would like, but I guess I'll stop there unless it gives me trouble later. The clutch feels pretty good. I think I would like a little more travel. I may tweak the adjustment to see if it can be improved. Put that on my list.

Since the cackling is still quite evident, I backed off the timing to 8 degrees (the spec is 6 degrees). I still have some sorting out to do in this area. Put that on my list along with jetting the carb.

Looking under the truck, I saw several small oil drips that appear to be coming from the oil pan bolts? Maybe I need to remove them and seal them. I don't know. I need to crawl under there and check it out.

I took it out on the road again. It drives real good. I tipped in the rear two barrels and it was a real kick. I think I like the idea of the spreadbore.
I don't like the feel of the shifter handle, though. It has a rubber section and feels...well, a little rubbery on the shifts. I'd prefer something with a more positive feel. A fella likes to snap off some quick shifts now and then. Oh well, put that on the list of loose ends to deal with later.

I spent several hours working on wiring under the dash. I hooked up the voltmeter and the lights to the gauges. I wanted to hook up the tach too, but I ran out of male spade connectors. Put that on my shopping list along with another PCV valve (another irritation).

As I clean up one anomaly after another, more pop up. This time I noticed a buzzing sound when I rev the motor. It scared me because it sounds like a loose timing chain. Anyway, it turns out that the PCV valve is rattling at a high enough frequency as to sound like that. I assume it is just a problem of loose tolerances during production. I'm gonna pick up another one today and replace it.

Well, that about does it for now. Stayed tuned.
wxo

Post by wxo »

She's back on the road!
I put on the hood today. I should have taken some pictures. Randi helped me 'cuz no neighbors were available. I hooked the hood to the engine crane from the front. When all the way up, the rear of the hood just cleared the radiator. Randi and I worked it into place and it settled in on the hinges just like I planned.
The top of the air cleaner just barely clears the underside of the hood. I had to cut about 1/4 in. off the hold down stud to clear it.
Also, I still seem to have a slight oil leak. Just a few drips on the floor.
I haven't quite figured out where it is coming from.
The new PCV valve solved the buzzing problem. Nice to be rid of that.
I still have a lot of little things to pick at, but every one corrected makes it that much better.
I'm very pleased with the performance at this point in time. There is a dramatic difference between the 360 and the 460 (duh). And I love the OD transmission! It's just the ticket with the 411 rearend. With the old tranny I always felt like I needed another gear. Now I have it. She really rolls on the Interstate. It was always a struggle to run 70, but it is now effortless. I guess I really need to check out the speedometer calibration. Who knows how fast I'm going now.
I know one thing, though. I'm gonna surprise a few individuals on the street. Too bad I can't really speedshift, but I can deal with that. Once those two big rear barrels kick in, it's haul the mail time.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Took 'Ol Blue to the Wheels4Hope garage today. It's about a 40 mile round trip. She's still doing well. Yesterday I filled her up with mid-grade gas and noticed today that I'm still cackling like crazy on a hard low speed pull. When I got home, I found some octane booster and dumped it in the tank.
All in all, I'm very pleased with the whole package. There is a dramatic difference in driveability between the old truck and the new one. The new package is a lot more fun and easier to drive. I got the tach hooked up and at traffic speed (I would guess about 70 mph) she's only revving about 2200 rpm in 5th gear. The transmission, while overall a better selection of gears is somewhat noisier than the old one. The speedometer is way off. It appears to be indicating about 10 mph faster than actual speed. The spreadbore manifold and carb are working out just great. I hope the gas mileage will not be too much of a disappointment.
I'm still messing around with trying to stop that small oil leak near one of the oil pan bolts. I decided it must be the gasket itself so I installed a spreader from a Chevy valve cover under the offending bolt. I'll check tomorrow to see if I've had any success.
I decided to attempt to make an automatic choke work. I bought the thermostatic spring do-hinkey from a SB Chevy and I'm gonna try to modify the manifold to accept it. I expect I'll be forced to design the operating linkage, too, but it looks possible to me. We'll see.
The next thing I've got to deal with now is the brakes. I'm getting some dragging sounds and I believe I've got a caliper hanging up from too much sitting. I guess the fun stuff will have to wait 'til I get that sorted out.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Just an unrelated observation. I'm really surprised that I got no reaction from my last post in Carlisle '06. You guys are really slippin'
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

A forty mile trip is a great sign. Gaining a little more confidence every day is good. How long until we get pictures of burnouts??

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

I had my exhaust system installed today. I got 2 1/2 inch pipes and FlowMaster series 50's. In addition, I had two O2 sensor bungs installed.
Bruno and I are going to the junkyard on Monday. I plan to pull a couple of O2 sensors and take them home with me. I'm looking forward to hooking them up and checking out the mixture readings.

I'm satisfied with my first impression of the sound. For me, series 40's would have been too loud. These series 50's are designed to be quieter with less resonance. They seem just about right...just like FlowMasters should sound. I didn't get a chance to try them out much, but so far so good.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Finally, no more nagging oil leaks! The final one turned out to be the oil drain plug itself. It was difficult to discover because the bottom of the pan is concealed by a frame member. I had to crawl under and look from just the right angle. It took just about an eighth of a turn and now all is dry.

While at Henry's Muffler Shop I discovered a serious problem in the front suspension. After 35 years, the rubber bisquits are almost gone on the LH radius rod. This allows the whole I-beam front end to move front to back on the left side. I have Moog replacement bushings on order from RockAuto.
While I have the truck up on the jack stands, I'm planning to go over the front brakes and change the fluid in the whole system.

Bruno and I spent Monday morning at Nine's junkyard pulling parts for Wheels4Hope and myself. I pulled a couple of O2 sensors for the newly installed bungs in my exhaust system. I'm anxious to see how they work in measuring the mixture. Oh well, that'll just have to wait for another day and time. A perfectly running engine is no good if the vehicle doesn't go down the road or stop safely.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Old vehicles sure need maintenance don't they?

My Vette has the 40 series on it and they sound really good. However my stock 350 is not capable of pushing the air like the 460 - I could see how they might be a little loud with that.

I really like the flowmaster though - might need to get some for my Trans Am.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Flowmasters, defiantly have their own distinctive sound. I had the 40s on the Nova, with no tail pipes. The interior resonance was ridiculous. And this was air from a little 327. Although, the cam had a ton of overlap. Currently, the Nova sports Summit turbos. (read - inexpensive) The Avalanche site I frequent, http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/index.html, has a lot of guys running the 50s, and liking them. I doubt I'll have 'em again.

We're kinda looking for a video of some smoke, the tire variety..... 8)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
wxo

Post by wxo »

Mark, before I made any decision on mufflers, I did my own informal FlowMaster survey of the truck guys. The response on the loudness issue was very subjective. One guy's "too loud" is another guy's "sounds great".
I wanted no part of that annoying resonance.
I was fortunate to find a muffler guy who agreed beforehand to change the mufflers if I was not satisfied. So far I'm quite pleased with my choice, although I still need to get the truck out on the freeway (after I fix the radius arm bushings). I'm not sure if you know or not, but FlowMaster has a series 70 that is even quieter than the 50's.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I'M ALL CHOKED UP!!

While waiting for my radius arm bushings to show up, I thought I'd take a crack at a new choke. I had previously bought the Edelbrock choke spring assembly from a local speed shop. It is intended for a small block Chevy. I hope the Chevy police don't get me for putting it on a big block Ford. It set me back about $32, but if it works, I'm OK with that.

The screw holes broke through but I don't think it's too big a deal.