New user

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Noisy Cricket

New user

Post by Noisy Cricket »

Hi, my name is Pete and I'm a gearhead...

I was clued in to this site by a member named Dave, who sold me a somewhat used M62 supercharger.

I drive a VW that gets about 35-40mpg, and an RX-7 that doesn't. The Mazda, at least, is modified "a bit".

I'm at work right now, we have a sweet small block Impala on cheater slicks, and am in the process of putting a 455/700R4 in a '68 Cutlass, so life is good there. Keeps me from wanting one of my own. (My first car had a 429...)
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Hey Pete, welcome to the site. I hope that supercharger worked out OK for you. Post some pictures of the project(s) you're working on -- we love pictures. There's a little "add image to post" link below the message window when you're posting/replying.

I'm curious to hear about the 700R4 swap, since that's long been on my wish-list for my Chevelle you saw in the garage.

-Dave
Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

So far it looks just peachy. Everything you need to adapt is widely available in the aftermarket. The non-lockup torque converter we're using makes it that much easier. (I haven't seen an aftermarket lockup setup that worked worth a damn, always very fidgety)

The driveshaft will need to be shortened (replaced, actually, since the existing one is the scrody rubber bushed one) and the frame/crossmember junction needs a couple new holes, and for servicability the crossmember needs some new access notches so you can remove the trans pan with the crossmember in place.

But, the cables, linkages, dipstick tube, shifter conversion bits, etc. are all aftermarket just-write-a-check bits. As is, of course, the BOP-to-Chevy adapter.

The engine bay looks like it really wants a Turbo 3.8, though.
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

welcome. what kind of dub you got?
Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

I don't have a "dub", I have a VW. :) (Pet peeve)

It's a completely ordinary transportation appliance. It's slow but it has carried two complete all-up engines in the hatch, so it is worthwhile. I greatly dislike trucks.

Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

Spot the nitrous!

VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

cool
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Would you consider posting pics? We want pics of everything. The VW, The RX-7, the cars at work. Then we can all go "oooh" and "aaah". The twin spare engine pic is cool, but doesn't tell us much about the car. Is it an all stock plain Jane driver?

I'm just as guilty of not posting enough pics, so feel free to ignore me if you like.
Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

This is the *third* time I have tried posting. I am greatly annoyed right now, so I will ignore the two or three paragraphs I previously dedicated to the VW (twice) because it seems every time I try to post, the computer locks up.

So, instead, here's some pictures.

Clean Mazda:

Mazda doing what it do best, last month.

Mazda doing what it do best, March.

(The underside is *still* coated with a layer of mud despite several powerwashings. The headers are perma-baked.)

Last February. That's my VW, and the Mazda is to the right of the pic. It hibernates in winter, salt killed my last two. And my Subaru. And both of my T-birds. ('72, '76) And my Nissan (thoroughly boring transportation appliance). I've had a few cars...

Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

PS - I just acquired a Ford 2.3 Turbo engine, complete less turbo.

<emperor> Everything is happening according to plan. </emperor>

The M62 will perch on the base intake manifold, and a Truly Large turbo will go on the exhaust manifold. I've always wanted to try twincharging, even though my prior experiences with forced induction have been less than encouraging. (Not just my own, but customers seem to have an endless cycle of more-power-itis leading to radical wallet cashectomy) The Ford engine, at least, is Supremely Stout. The engine block weighs more than a 5.0 block, and bone stock 100k mile examples can handle ridiculous amounts of boost. Twincharging is supposed to greatly raise the detonation threshold, as well as all but eliminating turbo lag and increasing the boost response dramatically, so it may work for me. If anything, it will be a novel experience.

But, what to put the engine in? I'd love to put it in a Mk1 Ford Capri or even a Mustang II or Pinto, but that's not going to be too likely. On the other hand, I have friends who claim that they can find BMW 3-series chassis for next to nothing, and this may prove a worthy chassis for my needs. My expected power outputs are FAR too much for 2wd on dirt, but it'd make one heck of a road missile.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I have a good T-5 in my garage from a turbo coupe if you have any interest. I may have a bell housing and some other odds and ends too...

-BP
Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

YOU'RE NOT HELPING (send private message with details please)

I am strapped for cash at the moment unfortunately, between getting the new engine (good to 9500-odd RPM, who needs to shift?) sorted in the Mazda and scraping funds together for the 24 Hours of LeMons, I'm flat broke until at least the end of September.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Nice pics. The good news is the car cleans up nicely. 8)

So you must be racing the Mazda off road? Is this some type of sanctioned event or car club?

The only off road racing I have done so far is drag racing.

For long posts I usually type it in Word and then cut and paste. I had to redo several posts before I got annoyed enough to do that.
Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

Both. I run rallycross with the Western Ohio Region (Dayton) SCCA. Detroit region and the Ohio Valley Region (Columbus) also run them but the Detroit ones don't have the good-times vibe to them, they're all lockstep organized to the point where it's not so much fun, and OVR runs at National Trails (overflow lot F) and they can only run when the track is closed, since raised dust is bad for cars with no air filters for some reason.

And it can get dusty. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SiUsdysEhr0 is a video someone put together of this weekend's festivities. If they continue not getting rain I will come prepared with a respirator. My sinuses *hurt*.

OVR's season kicks off Sept. 13-14, when I will be busy piloting a 24 Hours of Lemons car with Team Trackaddicts... ah well.

PS - Someone had the *gall* to bring in a 95% original, all-there '71 Mustang for tuning. (it runs like crap, looks as if it say under a tree for 20 years so best bet is simply everything's gummed up) I have a very soft spot for early 70's Fords. The fact that my first car was one is no accident whatsoever. I waited quite a long time for one to pop up... anyway, it's not a 429, but it's the Next Best Thing: a gen-u-wine 351C 4bbl. The part that's not stock, is the 3310 Holley, which really should have been factory issue anyway :)
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Noisy Cricket wrote: OVR's season kicks off Sept. 13-14, when I will be busy piloting a 24 Hours of Lemons car with Team Trackaddicts... ah well.
You're going to be driving with TrackAddicts? I read that site quite a bit, but don't post often. TrackAddict (Mark M.) is a friend of mine from college and I sorta followed (online) their build of Bernie's Revenge. What's your screenname there?

-Dave