1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Battery and lights

Post by wxo »

I didn't replace the battery yet because I used a de-sulfating charger on it for several weeks and it appears to be nicely rejuvenated. It has plenty of power for starting etc. There is no problem with powering the fuel pump. I still plan to replace the battery, but have no sense of urgency since it feels strong and reliable.

As far as the lights are concerned, I'd really like to have them for the trip. If there is any delay caused by unknown problems, I don't want to get caught trying to drive at night with less than ideal lighting. My night vision has been falling off over the years so I need lotsa light.

What you haven't seen is that Patrick started to work on the LH side mechanism and didn't finish. It's loose with only minimum attachment to the body. If you remember my first test trip on the interstate, I was concerned that the whole light assembly was going to leave the car and go airborne. I need to take some time to figure out what it needs and get it secured and working for the trip. He told me it needed a motor, but we'll see how that all works out.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

If needed, AutoZone has rebuilt motors for about $75 each. Looks like I may need to send down another check soon.
wxo

More progress???

Post by wxo »

Today I went out and checked the TPS adjustment and found it wrong (.45 volts vs .54 closed). When I went to adjust it, I found that the upper screw was stripped out. Both the torx head and the threads were gone. Note that this is an aluminum screw with special M5 x 75 threads. (I couldn't find one at the hardware store. ) Of course, since my good buddy John had just replaced the TPS, I called him to find out what was up. He said it was like that when he pulled it off. Interestingly he didn't call me to tell me about it and he didn't fix it right. John will be doing no more work for me (although he did diagnose the problems correctly).

Then I looked at the LH headlight to see why it was loose and found that the motor was missing!!! I called Patrick's Mom and learned through her that the motor had burned up and Patrick threw it away.

OK, now the plan is to go to my friends at Nine's auto Salvage to see if I can find the screw and a LH headlight motor.
Stay tuned.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I think the screws for my TPS, which is the same throttle body, are also less than ideal. Since it is such an oddball thread, you might be better off just re-tapping it for a common thread. Something to consider...

-Dave
wxo

Post by wxo »

I think I'll do just that, Dave! The threads in the TB are messed up a little and a new aluminum screw won't survive if the female threads are not good.
Tapping it out to a new common size is a good, practical solution.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Still more progress. Look who is having all the fun! :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Post by wxo »

Fun's almost over for now. I gotta get back to the sunroom and the spacklin' and wirin' and cuttin' and screwin' and paintin' and ....
wxo

More to report...

Post by wxo »

I visited the junk yard yesterday and got a headlight motor for $30. I jumpered 12 volts to it and it moves so I assume it's good. I picked up a new battery today. The neighbors have reimbursed me for it already. I haven't installed anything yet. I will charge the battery before I install it. I'm also trying to figure out how to tackle the stripped out screw hole in the throttle body. I can't get a straight shot at it to drill it out, so I'll probably have to move some stuff to do so. I also noticed that the anti-freeze was somewhat low in the radiator. I filled it up, but didn't have enough to top it off. I'll have to pick up some when I go out next time. I assume we have a leak somewhere. I'll get to that as time goes on.
More to come....
wxo

More accomplished..

Post by wxo »

With only a couple of days left on the temporary tag, I wanted to get as much done as possible so that I would have the ability to road test.
The new battery is installed.
The TPS is back on and set precisely (.54 volts). I drilled and tapped the top adjustment screw to 10-32. I left the bottom screw stock. The 'bird now runs as I remember it. SWEET!!! It does, however still have the hot start thing. It requires a little rest after running before it will start. Not a huge problem, but it needs a little more investigation.
The new headlight motor is in and it works when an external 12 volt source is used to power it. When hooked up to the car, it doesn't open. I measured the voltage coming from the car wiring to the headlight motor and there is none. I learned that there is a headlamp control module that could possibly be the cause of this. I will investigate as time permits. The good news is that I can now manually open the LH headlight. When I need lights, I can just turn them on and both work.
I'm really encouraged by how well the ol' Bird is running now. Just a little more TLC and she will be good enough for Mr. Rookie. The tag expires on 2/10 so I will be test driving her as much as possible. I wonder if Randi will feel comfortable enough to go to Stations of the Cross with me tonight in the Firebird. We'll see.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

A quick survey of the forums seem to think that the hot start problem is most likely due to distrubutor or coil. In the distributor, there ends up being a contact problem with the ring. Just a guess. New funding is on the way there.
wxo

Post by wxo »

My test drive to church tonight proved interesting. After my arrival there I was able to restart it with only a slight hesitation. Then when I got home I tried it again and it restarted again. Hmmm...maybe she just needs some miles to clear out the cob webs. She's idling like a sewing machine (with a loud muffler) and runs nice and strong. I'm ready to head for Ohio tonight!!
wxo

Post by wxo »

After cogitating on this change of behavior where the hot start problem seems to be fixing itself, I wonder if the ECM on this 'bird has a learning system built in and it is adjusting the running parameters as it is driven.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I took her out again this morning to get some antifreeze and a fillup. I splurged on a car wash with Rookie's money. Water pours in behind the front seats. I wonder if the replacement hatch is not installed correctly.
The hot start problem seems to be gone. Her manners continue to please me.
I noticed a clunk under hard acceleration. I'll have to check out the transmission mount when I get a round tuit.
I also noticed that the temp gauge is running a little warmer than I would like (around the 220 mark). When I turn on the fans with the dash switches the temp comes down a bit. I'll call Patrick to see what he knows about this.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

On the overheating, the factory setting for the fans will not turn on until 220 degrees and then come down from there. That's how my '87 was. If it's getting warm while driving down the road, the lower chin spoiler may be missing which deflects the air to the radiator. Good to hear that it's running well and starting when it's supposed too.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

I talked to Patrick today and got the history of the cooling system on the Firebird. It is mostly good news. A couple of years ago, the radiator split and started to leak. He dumped some stopleak into it, but it didn't help the situation. He then installed a new radiator and flushed the system. Sometime after that, the water pump went out and a new one was installed. So it looks like I'll have to look elsewhere for the "little too warm" problem". Since he said he has never touched the thermostat, I believe I'll get a new one and get it installed to see if it makes any difference.

Patrick also promised to provide me with his file of maintenance receipts.

Finally, I asked him if he had messed with the TPS in the past. He said at one point he was getting a check engine light and a code related to the TPS. He did some adjusting until the code went away. I think we may have found the reason for the stripped screw.