1979 Malibu

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 1979 Malibu

Post by TireSmoker »

Effort wise, it's honestly not terrible. Its a manual-steering box, not like a power-steering box with no power. I'll take the video game look!

Driving around with the O2 sensor unplugged killed it, so I threw in a replacement and have good data again.

My tuning changes paid dividends! Chris and I took a quick test drive to see, and it was the really the first time it came into boost and really pushed us back. I may have over-shot, log looked really rich (10.1) and it didn't wanna pull past 5200. But we were both like "whoa, that felt strong!" 7lbs of boost according to the datalog.

We got it back in the garage just before sprinkles hit.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 1979 Malibu

Post by TireSmoker »

This weekend I started tackling the new radiator + fan install. The old radiator +2fans that came with the car were just not up to the task. Even when was at Dragway 42, it got up to 200 and was a pain to cool. I have limited room to work with, so I got a Proform radiator with the same height/width, but an extra row/core. I'm also using a factory GM fan from inventory that I believe will move much more air.

The big problem with this is that I need to move the intercooler forward, and not even that much, maybe 2-3" There's room to do it, but there will be cutting on the core support to make everything fit better. I also had to re-do the mounts that support the intercooler from the bottom. Paul was able to weld a couple bolts together to make those. I ordered some new silicone 90* elbows with longer legs, they should be here in a day or two.
Attachments
20240506_005243.jpg
20240506_005350.jpg