89 Corvette Mostmint #43

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: 89 Corvette Mostmint #43

Post by MostMint »

This one had a fuel pump problem last Saturday and I had to go fetch it off the interstate- it quit while he was driving home. Came up less than 10 minutes short lol.

Kurt ordered a new pump and sending unit and installed them yesterday. I know I bought the pump that failed so I was a bit surprised it failed as it does not have 4000 miles yet. As memory serves I had to exchange it shortly after purchase too.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

What brand of fuel pumps are you using?
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I'll have to check which pump next time I go to the garage

This car has been cutting the outside edges of the front tires, so today I went to work to address it. The tires were towed in about 1/2", and both had positive camber. I took two shims from each mooring bolt on the left and one each on the right. The car now has -.2 / -.3 camber. Left side was super easy to adjust. For some reason right side I had to remove the center of the fender to reach the mooring bolts.

There is also some clunking when you turn the steering wheel. The rack may be a little loose, or the knuckle going in may be loose. This is next to address.

At the end I decided to rotate the tires, and during the swap I found both rear wheel bearings to be loose.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Fuel pump being installed is a Delphi.

I checked my records I can't confirm where the failed one came from - I bought one from NAPA that failed with almost no use - which they warrantied. If I had to guess that is the one that failed again.

Adjusted the steering rack. Spec said adjuster nut should be 50-70 degrees rotation away from bottoming out. It was a little over 120. This improved the problem but it is still there.

To complete this round of work I finished installing the air pump bypass pulley, plugged the lines off the headers with NPT thread caps, plugged the lines to the converter with plugs I clamped into the hoses. I also removed the "flywheel" weight off the front of the water pump. In total 17 lbs came off the car, though a few went back on with the bypass pulley brackets.

Took it for a test drive - this car runs better than it deserves.
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I was told by a Delphi customer service rep that their fuel pumps have a limited lifetime warranty. Just FYI.
I guess they realize how bad they really are.