Ford 4.6, 5.4. 6.8 Spark Plug Thread

Post links that are good for reference material

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Ford 4.6, 5.4. 6.8 Spark Plug Thread

Post by Maverick »

Good video on fixing spark plug threads on Triton engines. Well known problem with these engines blowing out plugs or threads stripping out when removing stuck plugs. I haven't changed the plugs on my 2002 Explorer 4.6 2V and hope I don't have to.

The guy also suggests using Ford replacement coils, available on Amazon, rather than chain store coils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmYfg8D_SxY
Maverick
Basement Paul

Re: Ford 4.6, 5.4. 6.8 Spark Plug Thread

Post by Basement Paul »

Most of the issues from what I understand, is with the 3V motors. I had the plugs and coils done on the 1999 F250 right when I got it with no issues. The 3V motors started around 2004 and were a problem I think until 2008 or 2009. You should be good.

-BP
Maverick

Re: Ford 4.6, 5.4. 6.8 Spark Plug Thread

Post by Maverick »

That would be GOOD!! I didn't read about plug blow out in the 2V but thought I'd read about 2V plugs seizing and breaking off or stripping out. Spent some time searching on line and didn't find an answer which engines have that problem. So far its only up to 6X,XXX miles, so maybe I'll never have to change the plugs.

Found LOTS of advice to use Motorcraft plugs, proper gap and torque to avoid coil and other problems.
Maverick