2003 S-10

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 2003 S-10

Post by Basement Paul »

Did the deal.

-BP
Attachments
SS headers 9-23-18.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Last Friday I made a trip to Hutter's to see if I could get a date locked in to get my truck in for upgrades. I've been hounding them a little since before Christmas when Trevor told me the port job on my heads was complete. That being said, I'm bringing the S10 there this week, most likely on Tuesday. It will be getting the "new" ported heads, my "new" headers installed, my "new" fuel injectors, and 3" pipes from the long tubes to my muffler.
I forgot to post that I bought a used set of fuel injectors from a friend of mine that came off his 2004 Corvette Z06. If I remember correctly they're 42 lbs, but may be 60's. Trevor is the one that mentioned Tony had these sitting around, and I know that any upgrades I do to my motor were going to require more fuel. I'm hoping within a couple weeks, I'll be knocking on 400HP to the wheels. My goal is 50HP more than I have. It should be pretty close to that, putting me dangerously close to the 11.50 mark. That would be fun!

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Already tore down. I'm already spending more money on a rocker shaft assembly, better lifters, and ARP head bolts. All in an effort to keep it together longer.

-BP
Attachments
31281.jpeg
31282.jpeg
31283.jpeg
31284.jpeg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The heads are back on. Dusty is having some problems fittings the headers though. Trying to fit them is tomorrow's project for him.

-BP
Attachments
31317.jpeg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks like the S10 is headed for the dyno today. Here's some pictures of the very expensive header install. I guess these were a HUGE pain to install. I probably would have given up if I was trying to do it myself.

-BP
Attachments
31489.jpeg
31474.jpeg
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

That exhaust is a work of art.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That became a lot easier after I bought the new crossmember once the headers were finally installed as they dumped almost directly into the factory crossmember on the driver's side. I heard it run this afternoon. It sounds pretty badass. With the heads shaved a little, and the new shorter head gaskets, my compression should be up a little, and now the whole exhaust is 3" with bigger primaries on the headers too. It just sounds bigger. It was on the dyno but not strapped down when I saw it. The tuning will probably get finished up Monday, maybe Tuesday.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I haven't heard that it's done yet, but the S10 made at least one pass on the dyno dragstrip simulation and see the numbers below. The 60' times are soft, but the MPH tells the story. These numbers are 4 tenths quicker and 4mph faster when compared to the last dyno 1/4 mile times they did. Like last time, I should be able to beat those numbers at the track by about two tenths. I'll have to post the video to youtube and post the link here. Maybe this weekend. So far so good though.

-BP
Attachments
Dyno dragstrip 2-20-19.jpg
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

So cool. It's a shame that exhaust is hidden under the car! eeerh I mean truck.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The truck is home and seems to run under normal conditions as before. With the streets still pretty dusty and the colder temps, the tires would do nothing but spin at any speed, so hard to judge performance gains, but it does seem to have a little more torque and definitely has a different sound to it than before. In a good way. Here's the dyno pull sheet.

-BP
Attachments
S10 Dyno 2-20-19.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I had a few small things to button up before the truck was ready for the season. One thing I wanted to do was to reroute the crank vent lines. Previously they just had hoses that ran down to the frame and it made the truck stinky inside anywhere you drove it. Stinky like steamy oil. This is no good if you want to show up somewhere decent. Dusty at Hutter's recommended running them around the motor and landing them right next to the air filter, so that's what I did. I haven't driven it, but the garage already smells less, just from idling and moving it around, so I'm sure that will work. No good pictures of this, not much to see there.
I also gave it an oil change and lube job. All that's left is the new tonneau cover, which will happen probably next weekend, and to move the battery to the bed. That can happen anytime though, but it will happen this season.
And attached is a more close up of the exhaust. The truck is so tight everywhere, it's hard to see the long-tubes from any angle.

-BP
Attachments
LS long tube exhaust 3-16-19.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Finally got my new tonneau cover installed. It looks real nice, except I don't like the white letters on the logo on the back of the cover over the gate. Plus, the logo isn't centered on the tailgate. I'm going to have to get some black vinyl paint to cover it up so it's not so noticeable. I also restained the bedliner material that goes around the edge of the bed and also the tailgate. It was pretty faded.

-BP
Attachments
tonneau new 3-30-19.jpg
tonneau old 1.jpg
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

NICE!!!!
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I like the "AFTER" look, really clean.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Since I started driving the S10 this spring, it had some weird surging at lower RPM's which made it annoying to drive almost anywhere but on the freeway, and hard to launch at the track. I dropped the truck off a few weeks back with Trevor at Hutter's and he had it a few days and retuned a bunch of the problem out. While it was there, he mentioned my air inlet temps were pretty high, up to 140 degrees. I'm sure this is a byproduct of my new stainless headers vs. my old ceramic coated ones.
This weekend I found a little time to make a makeshift air filter baffle out of cardboard and hooked up my data scanner for a drive with and without the baffle. Unfortunately, the temps were actually the same, if not a slight amount cooler without the baffle in place.
So other things that might help cool the underhood temps that I'm thinking. I could put a 160 thermostat in vs. the 180 that I'm running right now. Based on my info scanner, it runs between 177 and 181, so I know the thermostat is working correctly. I have to imagine a cooler engine couldn't hurt the problem. I would also get my fans reprogrammed to turn on around 168-170 to keep the temps down.
I also am thinking I might lean toward a cowl hood to open up the top of the hood to let some of the heat out. According to my readings, at freeway speeds, and about 85 degree outside temps, my air inlet temps are around 106 degrees. That's not bad IMO, but as soon as I stop those temps rise rapidly up into the 130's. I figure a big opening in the hood would give some of that heat a place to go. And a 2" cowl hood could still look OK too. I prefer the stock look of the flat hood, but in the name of progress....

I really don't have any other place to put the air filter or tubing to get it fresh air without destroying something on the truck, so I'm not going to do that. And it seems that the extreme heat I'm seeing is still causing some mild engine surge, but nothing like it used to before the retune.

I was also discussing with Dave my lack of torque in this motor. My dyno sheets show my max torque arrives at 5700 RPMs. Like I mentioned to him, the plateau starts around 4600, then goes UP again around 5500. He was asking about my gearing and thought that 4.10s might help. I've been thinking more about that too. In the 1/4, it would get me from about 5800 in the traps to about 6300 in 3rd. And right now I'm cruising in OD on the freeway at 70mph at 2500, and I believe it would only be about a 300rpm difference with the .70 overdrive gear. I might lean in that direction over the winter. Since my posi is still good, and everything else is in tact, that should be a reasonable inexpensive update that might be good for a few tenths.

More to come as life frees up some time toward fall. In the meantime, I'm still having fun driving and racing this.

-BP
Attachments
hot air2.jpg
hot air1.jpg