10 bolt wheel cylinder - help!

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

10 bolt wheel cylinder - help!

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Hey guys I am working on my '37 Chevy truck with a rear end of unknown origins.

What I do know:
10 bolt GM rear
9-1/2" Drums
7/8" bore
3/8-24 thread for the brake line

What I'd like to know:
What did this come out of? My guess that a 1970's Camaro seems off becaue those are 15/16" bores from what I can tell.

Any ideas would bee greatly appreciated.

EDIT: My references are contradicting themselves. I think I need a WC37024 early 70's Camaro rear.

Jacin
Basement Paul

Re: 10 bolt wheel cylinder - help!

Post by Basement Paul »

I bet if you knew the axle lengths, it would help narrow it down significantly. Is it from a leaf spring car originally (no signs of cut brackets)? How long has it been in your truck (if you know that)?

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Is it disassembled? GM puts part #s on everything those might help also.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Great questions!

I've probably had the truck since the late 80's - it was in the truck when I got it.

I'm pretty sure it was previously Leaf Spring - Nova/Camaro?

I had it apart - no numbers that I could see - only marked - "Wagner Lockheed" . It also had the recessed dust covers if that makes sense (the one that fit into a counterbore rather than over the outside of the casting)

I'm starting to think pre'74 Camaro and maybe that WC37024 number IS actually good - I just had conflicting specs on that number????

I might just bore it and put stainless sleeves in it - I did that for my convertible and haven't touched it in years. I've just always had hit or miss luck with wheel cylinders. Sometimes they last for a couple years - other times decades.

I'll have to measure it in the daylight tomorrow.

Thanks!

Jacin
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Wait a minute. why run drum brakes at all? Sounds like a chance to convert over to disc.

IF you stay with drums, maybe you can match up the backing plate with pics online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/64-74-GM-Rear- ... 1430881193 <- check the cross reference list to see what vehicles this fit

This plate went on so many GM cars. There could be other differences (width of cylinder, or depth of brake drum for instance) but if you take the part with you it should be easy to match up.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Well I forgot to measure the width, but instead just reassembledd it with the iffy seal - I'll order some and swap it later. Meanwhile we decided to take it for a trip to jill's Dad's -not far away. Made it about a mile beore it died. A quick eval indicated that the needle and seat were NOT happy. Removed the assy - "cleaned" it and reassembled - seemed OK so we continued ad made it another mile before it died again. This time I pulled the fuel bowl off and cleaned it best I could on the roadside. Set the float and we tried again, this time it seemed fine (minus a random miss. Anyways the trip went fine from there on out. She's oficially Back n the game!!!!