An Eventual Replacement for the Trailblazer

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Blue_69_malibu

An Eventual Replacement for the Trailblazer

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/coming-soon ... 00554.html

I think GM will be hitting the nail on the head with this idea......that there is a strong market for mid-sized trucks out there. Not everyone needs to tow 11,000 lbs or wants to drive something as large as today's full-sized trucks or put up with the gas mileage....etc, etc. This is a nice "compromise", IMHO.

While an improvement over their predecessors, the Colorado/Trailblazer platform left something to be desired. Hopefully this does the trick! It looks promising so far.
Basement Paul

Re: An Eventual Replacement for the Trailblazer

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks too much like a Honda Ridgeline. Not to mention, why don't they go back to the updated 4.3 V6 that they're using in the full size trucks? It is now around 285 HP, has well over 300 lb ft of torque, and gets way better mileage than my old 4.3. The 3.6 has NO torque. This is a truck we're talking about here. I love that my S-10 (even pre-supercharger) was able to drive around without downshifting every two seconds to climb a small incline or pass someone on the free way. My Mustang, as fast as it is, is still hunting all the time and this 3.6 is no different. Add 1000 lbs to that and it will be shifting ALL the time.

That's the same motor that's in your Camaro Tony. I have to imagine you agree to some extent?

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

I assumed it was the same motor that's in the Camaro. But since the towing figures weren't/aren't yet available, I didn't take the analysis or logic as far as you did....and you are probably 100% correct. The motor is probably a poor choice and may require further thought. Why not use the 4.2 inline 6 that's in my current Trailblazer? I think I can tow up to 5,300 lbs....which is more than I need.

And yes....you have to rev the motor in the Camaro to make power....but, oddly enough, part of the reason that I like driving the Camaro so much is that GM nailed the shift points on the car. They're spot on.

I hated the 6 speed auto in my '06 Mazda 6 for the same reason that you're describing - it was always shifting and usually at the "wrong" time. Really hated that part of the that car.

Part of my interest in that truck goes like this: thanks to increased gas mileage requirements, most mid-sized SUVs no longer have frames to save weight...and I think that sucks. I like the longevity and safety of riding in a full framed vehicle. So right off, if I want a mid-sized SUV built on a frame, my options are.....The Jeep Grand Cherokee. (Definitely not a Mopar fan and don't really like what Toyota or Nissan offer.)

If you need to tow something that isn't super heavy, you have a lot fewer options than you used to. Gone are the Dakota, (old) Colorado, and Ranger midsized trucks.....although the later was way overdue for an update any way. The Explorer is now a unibody as is the Acadia family.

So what's a guy, that doesn't really need a full-sized pickup, to do? :(
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Restore an old truck?? :mrgreen:
Maverick
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Maverick wrote:
Restore an old truck?? :mrgreen:
That option is definitely on the table! If I can tow my boat with a, say 67-72 Chevy short bed, I really wouldn't need another tow vehicle.

And a Posi would really help on these steep and wet boat ramps. :D

Of course, were I to break down, I'd have to have the truck and the boat towed home. :lol:
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The solution is to just buy a full size truck. 2014 marks a HUGE improvement in power / mileage for the GM truck line. You'll make more power than your TB with any of the engines, have more towing capacity, and get better mileage than you're making now in your midsize SUV. Win / Win.

Not to mention, I think the '14s look great on the outside too.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I think that when looking at a "do-it-all" vehicle, you have to compromise. I've never
worried too much about having brutal torque to tow, because I don't tow every day. I
do drive everyday, and want things like good mileage, comfortable seats, room to put
stuff, and most importantly utility. Seats that go down, room to cram in junk I need to
haul, and an interior that can take some mild abuse and clean up easily are really
important. When it comes time to tow or haul a huge load, I can deal with the vehicle
not being perfect for the situation, because for the most part, the vehicle does what I
want most of the time. Compromise is ok. I've done a lot of hauling with my stupid
sedans and most recently my Saab. Pop a hitch on the vehicle and it's good to go for
moving 98% of what I move. If / when I need a bigger truck, there are other options
like bumming one from work or a buddy, or worst case renting a truck. I wouldn't drive
a full sized truck everyday unless I had to. There's just so much that's inconvenient
about them. Upkeep, mileage, ability to park at the mall, etc.... I'd go for a smaller
truck like Tony posted and deal with less power opting for smallness and better fuel
economy. Just an opinion.....

GM
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I have this debate in my head almost everyday. I have convinced my self I need some sort of truck. The impala just doesn't do what I need it to outside of work. So I am currently trying the cheap paid for various car route. We'll see how it goes.

2012 Impala meets my work requirements - 4 door, 5 years or newer model, over $25k MSRP, and it gets good mileage.

1988 GMC Z71 - will tow & haul whatever I need, will cross streams I need to and go off road when I need to for camping.

1989 Formula 350 & 1994 Roadmaster wagon - these are the "hot rod" toys.

Thankfully they are all paid off and I will likely only have full coverage on the Impala. So insurance won't kill me.

The other route I debate is a new 4 door 4wd truck, that would satisfy my off road/towing needs and my work needs. Only negative being gas mileage. Then selling the other 2 "projects" and getting a nice/done "hot rod". But then both cars would require full coverage.

We'll try the first option for a bit and see how it works out.
Matt Sutter
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

ttamrettus wrote:I have this debate in my head almost everyday. I have convinced my self I need some sort of truck. The impala just doesn't do what I need it to outside of work. So I am currently trying the cheap paid for various car route. We'll see how it goes.

2012 Impala meets my work requirements - 4 door, 5 years or newer model, over $25k MSRP, and it gets good mileage.

1988 GMC Z71 - will tow & haul whatever I need, will cross streams I need to and go off road when I need to for camping.

1989 Formula 350 & 1994 Roadmaster wagon - these are the "hot rod" toys.

Thankfully they are all paid off and I will likely only have full coverage on the Impala. So insurance won't kill me.

The other route I debate is a new 4 door 4wd truck, that would satisfy my off road/towing needs and my work needs. Only negative being gas mileage. Then selling the other 2 "projects" and getting a nice/done "hot rod". But then both cars would require full coverage.

We'll try the first option for a bit and see how it works out.

Matt: For what it's worth, the insurance cost on my Chevelle is under $200 per year. It's through Hagerty and has an agreed upon replacement cost of $20K. You have to have a separate daily driver that is fully insured. Still, under $20 a month for insurance ain't too shabby.....just in case this helps your "decision"....not in the LeBron way. :wink:
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Good advice. Is there a mileage limit or anything on your hagerty policy ?
Matt Sutter
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

ttamrettus wrote:Good advice. Is there a mileage limit or anything on your hagerty policy ?
I can't recall off the top of my head.....but I haven't put more than 2K miles on that car in a year.....although I've certainly spent more than $2K a year on it. :)

The only thing that jumped out at me as odd was a clause that seemed to prohibit driving the vehicle to or from work.

When you're bored sometime, check out there web-site. Customer service is actually staffed by live Americans working in northern Michigan.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Technically, your historical plates prohibit you from driving to work also. Fortunately, the cops don't really give a crap about anything with historical plates on them.

And if something happened on your way to work... you were off that day!

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

IIRC it was 2500 miles per year but I'm sure you can get more miles if you want to pay more. The other thing is it is cumulative so if you spend a year doing a frame off the next year your getting 5000 miles. Read the fine print put that is what I recall
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Just as an fyi, full coverage on my Vette, with $500 deductible, as a "pleasure vehicle"
through Erie Insurance ( they cover all of my insurance needs... home, life, auto ) costs
me $240/year .... It's a 1998, so they'd probably only give me book value for it. It's
pretty cheap to ensure. The Saab costs more to insure because it's my daily driver...

GM
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

One of the best things about my '69 plates is that the registration was good for 40 years. (If I'm wrong on the actual term, it's still one hell of a long time w/o having to pay for tags, annual registration, etc.)

I bought the Chevelle in '09, so I've had it for five summers/seasons. I've put roughly 6,000 miles on the car. Two summers probably saw little drive time b/c I was "fixing it".