Something to check when rebuilding Holleys

Post links that are good for reference material

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Something to check when rebuilding Holleys

Post by Maverick »

This was posted on the Ford Truck Forum. Its worth checking the main body surfaces for flatness when rebuilding. Included links didn't copy but they were to a Corvette forum. I GUESS you could get all the filings out of the main body.

Originally Posted by Franklin2

The 4 screws that hold the metering plate and the fuel bowl onto the main body like to pull the main body high on the 4 corners where the body is threaded for these screws. All those little holes in the middle will be low, and the gasket will not seal correctly. It usually will work for a short time till the gasket shrinks after a few days to a week after a rebuild.

While a milling machine is the best, a large flat file can be used but you need to be very careful with it. Hold it as flat as possible and only go a few strokes before changing directions. Don't file it all from one direction.

If you have a good file laying around, you can run a couple of strokes across it and you will see how bad it is. I bet it's pretty bad. I only worry about the front of the body, the ones I have been doing are the cheaper carbs with no rear metering block, so there is not a problem on the secondary side on those type carbs.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Re: Something to check when rebuilding Holleys

Post by Basement Paul »

This could also be accomplished by taping a sheet of sandpaper to a mirror / glass and working the carb base (or whatever you want flat) back and forth on the surface. Ask GMJohnny about cylinder head machining on small power equipment.

-BP