Lug Centric vs Hub Centric Wheels

Post links that are good for reference material

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Lug Centric vs Hub Centric Wheels

Post by Maverick »

If you're putting aftermarket wheels on a newer vehicle you'll want to know about this subject. http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Hub-C ... ug-Centric

I've been dragged into this area by a Cragar SS wheel that wobbled on the traditional (hub mounting) wheel balancing machine, but ran true when mounted on the car. I suspect this wheel is causing the small shake at around 70-75 MPH.

The issue is complicated by the cursed uni-lugs on all 15" Cragar SSs with their oval mounting holes. Thru Google, I found a local (Chevy) guy that found a local place that can do a lug centric balance on the Cragar SSs. So, I think I'm on the way to a solution.

But, if you buy aftermarket wheels of any kind for a newer vehicle with hub centric wheels, be sure the aftermarket wheels are hub centric. The wheels must be specific to your vehicle or you'll need the correct adapter rings to compensage for any difference between the center hole in the wheels and the hub diameter.

Contrary to what you might hear, load balancing probably won't fix a hub centric vs lug centric balance issue.

Now I have another reason to hate uni-lugs. :evil:
Maverick