Carlisle Wagon Restoration

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Our Carlisle Swap Meet parts hauler is a true veteran but has been showing signs of its' age and general wear and tear from years use and some abuse.
Time for a complete "ground up" restoration. However this will not be a numbers matching restore, we are planning to keep the "Resto-mod" theme going by retaining the original look of the body but with our chassis and suspension modifications. Some additional repair and upgrading will take place where the ware is most obvious.
With less than ten weeks before Spring Carlisle, can this Carlisle wagon project be completed on time.
Last edited by Fred32v on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Might I suggest a larger 'trailer'! Possibly tandem axles!!! Now THAT would be cool.
How about corner hooks to accommodate tie-downs. And the red color has to go.... how about '69 Caddy green?

Just my $.02 :wink:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

You have to go to Carlisle, before you get your $.02. :wink:

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I am told there are some rare NOS parts on the way for the trailer. I guess most of it is not restorable. The Radio Flyer purists are going to be on our case for ruining the collector value of the NOS parts. Oh well they should bid higher on this stuff!

Our main issue with these wagons is transporting to the events. Some type of system to quickly disconnect the wheels or fold them down would be good if it is feasible.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

The new body for the beverage trailer arrived today. This 25 year old antique "Radio Flier 80" was actually manufactured on the 141st day of 1979. Notice the build sheet. It came in the original box. If the seller knew what we were going to do with it, he probably wouldn't have sold it to me.
The suspension pieces have been given additional reinforcement and two coats of black.
Last edited by Fred32v on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

This tiny project reminds me of things that I didn't like working in a body shop. I used a wire wheel on a die grinder to remove the heavy rust from the wagon bed, then hand sanded the remainder of the body. Several coats of primer have the body ready for a warm day and paint.

Continuing to show some small progress.
Last edited by Fred32v on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Painted the body with almost two cans of DupliColor Red, approximately three coats on the top and bottom with four coats on the sides. Then a coat of Rustoleum flat black brushed into the bed. I have a lettering template which helped me create the "TireSmoke.Org" stencil.
I replaced the old hitch bolt with a carriage bolt leaving the inside of the box smooth. I drilled a hole in the retaining bolt adding a slip pin so we never loose that locking nut again.
Stainless hardware was used whenever possible. The trailer has carriage bolts holding on the suspension and the draw bar to its' body. That required using a square file to make square holes. It was a little tedious, but the floor of the beverage trailer is smooth.
The trailer is essentially finished. Ready for the cooler.
Last edited by Fred32v on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Oh Boy! This thing is turning out to be a work of art! No, I guess that would be a work of Fred. Anyway it sure looks great. I can't wait to see it in person. Eight more weeks....
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Maybe we should talk to one of those spray on bedliner companies and have them sponsor us!

Looks really good.

Any ideas on how to keep the bungee cords from scratching up the paint when tying items down to it?

Seems to me you need a car to tinker around with in the garage for your next project. I have been looking at a brown C3 in someone's yard on my way home from work. The ETC is too high tech - you need something from the 70's or older.

Maybe a 68 Camaro or a 58 Chevy convertible? You could farm out the bodywork and do the rest yourself.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I agree, Andy. Fred needs to finish the wagon and get back to his roots.
I think unloading the ETC and finding a hands-on project car would be a positive step in that direction.

Of course, if that happens, who would we get to take his place as head cheerleader and motivator?[
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Just received the "Radio Flyer" decals so I sent the afternoon in the garage. Decals were very large rub-ons. You only get one chance to get them right. The dual exhausts are back.

The "Carlisle Events" plaque on the back of the beverage trailer came from a coffe cup I bought in 2001. I can hardly wait to put this wagon train to work!
Last edited by Fred32v on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Our wagon is ready for Carlisle. Are you?
Before-----------------------------------------------AfterBefore-----------------------------------------------AfterBefore-----------------------------------------------AfterBefore-----------------------------------------------AfterMaybe one more thing to do.
Last edited by Fred32v on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

One last piece of business. A small subproject to complete the deal. I had all these new pieces/parts left over. Then I noticed the old rusted out trailer body. A little bit of flat black paint and a stencil brought this project to a proper conclusion.I've heard of "Rat Rods", now we have a "Rat Wagon".
RESTORATION COMPLETE!