Project: Cheap Bastage - Distributor Repair

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: Basement Paul, MostMint, Fred32v, ttamrettus, wxo

Racin'Jacin

Project: Cheap Bastage - Distributor Repair

Postby Racin'Jacin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:34 am

I don't know what my "issue" with points distributors is lately, but I am tired of messin' with them and especially so when they are HARD to get to like the one in my '47 Ford truck.

I scored a couple HEI type dizzy's to cut up and in the process ended up with this one sporting a tach drive - not sure I really NEED that but hey the price was RIGHT!

So this is what I started with - the shaft was too short AND messed up so I went ahead and just cut it off. BTW this is an old GM Mag Impulse dizzy that's been cut down to run in a mopar - I'm changing it over to fit in my 392 hemi:

After cutting off all the "bad" shaft I turned it down with a pilot .001" over size. And made a stub shaft to be pressed on & welded. Stub is oversize:

Post welding:

Checking for true:

Finish cut bring stub OD to proper size:

Indexing rotor's (new to old) so the dizzy will drop right in without having to fiddle with the intermediate shaft later.

Lastly I made up a small collar that I will pin on just like the origional:

I don't like the adapter sleeve that's on this. Probably me just being paranoid, but it wasn't made how I'd do it - so I think I'm just gonna go ahead and make it over.

So there's one more down! Nothing wrong with points - I'm just getting lazy as I get older and these old hemi's all have dual points and are not easy to adjust! So AWAY they go!!!

Racin'Jacin

Return to “Projects”