Project: Cheap Bastage - Distributor Repair

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: Basement Paul, MostMint, Fred32v, ttamrettus, wxo

User avatar
Racin'Jacin
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:01 pm

Project: Cheap Bastage - Distributor Repair

Postby Racin'Jacin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:34 am

I don't know what my "issue" with points distributors is lately, but I am tired of messin' with them and especially so when they are HARD to get to like the one in my '47 Ford truck.

I scored a couple HEI type dizzy's to cut up and in the process ended up with this one sporting a tach drive - not sure I really NEED that but hey the price was RIGHT!

So this is what I started with - the shaft was too short AND messed up so I went ahead and just cut it off. BTW this is an old GM Mag Impulse dizzy that's been cut down to run in a mopar - I'm changing it over to fit in my 392 hemi:
Image

After cutting off all the "bad" shaft I turned it down with a pilot .001" over size. And made a stub shaft to be pressed on & welded. Stub is oversize:
Image

Post welding:
Image

Checking for true:
Image

Finish cut bring stub OD to proper size:
Image

Indexing rotor's (new to old) so the dizzy will drop right in without having to fiddle with the intermediate shaft later.
Image

Lastly I made up a small collar that I will pin on just like the origional:
Image


I don't like the adapter sleeve that's on this. Probably me just being paranoid, but it wasn't made how I'd do it - so I think I'm just gonna go ahead and make it over.

So there's one more down! Nothing wrong with points - I'm just getting lazy as I get older and these old hemi's all have dual points and are not easy to adjust! So AWAY they go!!!


Racin'Jacin

Return to “Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest