2008 Cobalt SS

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 2008 Cobalt SS

Post by TireSmoker »

So I dug into my starting problem a little bit last night and found out that the computer or body-control-module provides switched +12v to the low-side of the relay and that it is the ground side that's bad. That makes it a little easier to hack a workaround, as I just pulled the relay out of the socket slightly, enough to get an alligator clip on the leg needing ground, and clip the other end to a chassis bolt. Car now starts as it should.

I went to the Library and used AllData for the first time to get the wiring diagrams. I found the wire that connects to this pin on the relay, but I can't tell where it's supposed to go without unwrapping a whole bunch of engine harness.

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I'm wondering how many other Cobalt people are experiencing this issue. When I had the
Regal GS, I had an issue with my ABS lights going crazy and the whole dashboard basically
lighting up saying that everything was failing at once. I did some research online and found
that a body ground wasn't doing its job. It looked perfect, but, once cleaned, made all of
the issues go away. Have you read of anybody else suffering the same issues?

GM
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

No, I really haven't found anything online that sounds like my problem. Even knowing exactly what's wrong, I don't find much. Weird. I'm really curious what is bad that could cost $500. There's one stupid little connection that is bad. Somewhere.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Wow, haven't written an update on this thing in 2 1/2 years... so in recent weeks, the rear suspension has been feeling very rubbery, especially going over bumps on 271. With 105k on the odometer, the struts/ shocks only have about 30k miles on them. I put the car up in the air, and sure enough, the right rear shock is all oily. But that wasn't the surprising part.

This is:
20170504_203949.jpg
Look at the crack all the way around the sidewall. WTF is that?! It's probably 3-4 different cracks, but they basically go around the whole tire. This tire has had a slow leak for a little while which I was thinking was a rim leak. I've quit driving it until I decide what tires I'm going to buy. These tires are near the end of their life anyway -- they would've made it through the summer, but I would've needed new tires next spring anyway.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

What tire is that? I see it was made in July of 2013.

If it was run low at some point there could have been extra heat in the sidewalls. Not likely since this car has TPMS correct?

After that you will need a real tire engineer to give you some better feedback.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS, purchased in November 2013 with 69k miles on the car. I do have tire TPMS's and don't remember running this tire flat. Maybe got into the low 20s at worst.

After two sets of summer-performance tires, I had decided to buy a set of all-seasons with the hope that would be somewhat better on the few occasions I'd get caught in the snow, but they really weren't any better. Wet traction wasn't even all that good. I'm definitely buying something different, but what?

I wonder if I should go back to a true performance tire? Truth is, I don't really race it anymore and not really interested in doing that with it again -- maybe one final HPDE at Mid-Ohio now that I have much better driving skills. (did my first-ever track day with this car, 2 years before we raced the Saturn) or maybe run that Ohio Mile event, just to see what kind of speed I could get. But that's it.

It's a fun commuter and does that well. When I bought it, the goal was to get 150k miles out of it. At my current pace, that's a few more years.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Was this just one tire or are they all like this?

Running tires in low 20s can be hard on them depending on how long it was and how far. At lower PSI there is a lot of extra flex in the sidewall which generates extra heat.

You may still have a bead leak or something else causing a slow leak. There is an inner layer that is designed to keep the air in, though I suppose if this is a heat related item that could have been compromised as well.

Last time we played poker at Chris's the TPMS light came on I had a tire at 27 PSI. In the first 15 minutes of driving it went up almost 4 PSI. This was a cold evening and regular driving speeds on the backroads getting to the freeway. Even regular driving generates heat in the tire.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

It is odd that it was on the inside and not both inside and outside.

It could be a bad tire - can't rule that out

I'll see if I can get an opinion from a tire engineer - I know a few
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Boy, I dont write much about this car despite how much I still love it 10 years and 127k miles later. Getting close to that original 150k goal! If I don't need to haul big stuff or 2+people, it's still my vehicle of choice. It just does everything well and is easily the best car I've ever owned. It has run @ Thompson, Dragway 42, Mid Ohio, and Nelson Ledges, as well as travel as far north as Montreal down to southwest coast of Florida. I've had it up to a solid 140mph. Totally gotten my money's worth out of this thing. :-)

Maintenance Log:

A couple emissions related repairs performed at Caves Rd. Sunoco

Replaced RF wheel bearing @ 122k miles. Replaced LF wheel bearing @ 127k miles. Both units were premium from Napa. `~$175 each

New rear brakes at 127k. I can't get the RR caliper to compress, so I may have to replace it. $125

Both headlights have been replaced in the past 6 months.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I've passed 130K miles and did a little more maintenance. Another Mobil 1 5W30 oil change/air filter/cabin filter/tire-rotation.. wow, must've been a while since I changed the cabin filter, it was a bit nasty. I also replaced both sway bar end-links, as a rattling had developed in the front end. They're like a double-sided tie-rod, which a ballish-joint on each end, non-greasable.

The replacements ARE greasable, which I found very surprising. It took me several tries to find a working grease gun. I've never had good luck with these things, it seems they are ALWAYS out of grease, bad seal, something.. this was no different. But, I did find something neat:
20200407_202156.jpg
This was the one I inherited from my dad, but I will take a little extra care to make sure this one stays operable.

So in this quarantine era, our entertainment has turned to Friday night road trips to nowhere. We've done this the past 4 fridays, since, well, there's not much else to do. We leave the house around 5-530, head in a direction, get take-out from some local joint in the direction we're going and just expore around. Last night, we wanted to go southeast and made our way out to Rt 11 and headed south.

Again, during the quarantine era, the roads are just basically deserted. The beck and call of the open road was there, only 1 car ahead of me for a LONG way. Downshift to 4th, brick the pedal. 6000 RPM, 120mph, shift to 5th. Brick the pedal. 130-135-140-145 --- and i let out of it. Fastest I've ever gone, in anything! I'd done 140 a couple times previously in this car, and also in a friend's Supra. I had the room, I should've stayed in till 150. It would've done it without a doubt. And man, does 90-100 feel slow after that!!

That was just the start of the night, too. Although there wouldnt be any more huge triple-digits, we did take a really fun rally though eastern ohio. We got off Rt 11 around Columbiana, to grab a quick bite and hit the good roads. I saw a sign for Rt 164 and remembered it being a fun road from a couple motorcycles rides. I forgot just how fun it was! Honestly, once you get south of Lisbon, its really entertaining road. HIGHLY recommended.

I put together a google map of our trip. I listed the starting point at Columbiana Chevrolet because they have a show room that includes what appears to be a couple '58 Chevys and a '69 Chevelle mixed in with the new stuff, and it sits right next to railroad tracks. It's the kind of place Tony would have a poster of. :-)

We also got a bit of a history lesson. While coming into Salineville for the 2nd time, we saw this sign:
john-hunt-morgan-heritage-trail.JPG
I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. You have some sort of interesting geographic/historical trail/route marked out?? I'm there for it. But who is John Hunt Morgan? It turns out, he was a Confederate general responsible for Morgan's Raid. In 1863, Captain Morgan ( :-) ) was given orders to go raiding in Kentucky in order to draw Union troops away from the action in Tennessee. Captain Morgan decided to exceed his orders and went raiding up into Indiana and Ohio where he was ultimately defeated and captured, in Salineville. This was the northernmost action of the Confederate Army.

There ya go, history buffs.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

It's not offically offical since I haven't posted it, but I've mentally decided and wrote an ad to sell my little beloved SS. The odometer is 137k and change. To be honest, I still love this car, but after 12 years, it's time to let someone else enjoy it.

2008 Cobalt SS Turbo Coupe, 138k, original owner
2.0L intercooled turbo, 5-speed, factory Brembo brakes, traction control
air, cruise, tilt, sunroof, power windows/locks/side mirrors, delay wipers, fog lights,
Premium stereo w/factory trunk subwoofer, remote lock/unlock
This car has been my daily driver since 2009 when I bought it new. This is the only new car I've ever bought and I took very good care of it.
Always garaged, regular oil changes with only Mobil 1, always premium fuel
Rarely driven during winter, very clean underneath
Interior is very clean, except for wear on driver's seat and driver's carpeting
I would not hesitate to jump in this car and drive it anywhere in the country.

Issues:
Air bag light is on
will need struts -- last replaced at 75k miles
small rust bubble on edge of hood
minor dent behind driver's door
power mirrors are intermittent
minor rash on all rims

$5500/obo

Now I just gotta get it cleaned up a bit and take some pictures.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Have you had the air bag light diagnosed? For me, that would be a big concern before I bought a used car.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Actually, yeah, I did -- one of the stupidest experiences ever. I took it to Chester Auto Body for that, they did some diagnosis (and charged me!) and told me they didnt know what it was and might take some extra diagnosis ($$$). I haven't been back since. I'm pretty sure I have some paperwork to support this.

However, should be a 100% clean car fax, its never been in an accident, short of the incident where someone hit my car in the parking lot at work a few years back.

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I have a very very vague memory of the air bag light, I think it was on the STS-V, or the 05 Silverado.
Anyway I bought a sensor thing from Dorman that bolted under the front fairing.
I can not remember how I knew it was that. It was not a big deal or I would have a better memory.
Maybe someone on YouTube would have something to say about that airbag light.

GMJohn took his old Cutlass to Chester Auto for an alignment, they said they needed to replace
something that we had very recently replaced. We got the car out of there and never went back.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Apparently a common issue:

Bulletin No.: 09-09-40-003A

Date: July 26, 2010

Subject: SIR/Airbag Light Illuminated, DTC B0081 and Passenger Presence System (PPS) Code 23 Stored (Replace Passenger Seat Belt Retractor and Re-Route Wire Harness)

Models:
2006-2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe
2008-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe
2006 Pontiac Pursuit Coupe (Canada Only)
2007-2010 Pontiac G5 Coupe Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-09-40-003 (Section 09 - Restraints).
Condition

Some customers may comment that the SIR light is illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find the following SDM code stored:

DTC B0081 71: Passenger Presence System Invalid Serial Data Received With Passenger Presence System (PPS) Flash Code of DTC 023

Cause

The wire on the Belt Tension Sensor (BTS), that is part of the retractor assembly, may become open or acquire a ground near the sensor. If the BTS is rotated toward the rear of the vehicle, added stress is applied to the wire bundle that may cause an open or a ground path. The two photos below illustrate the possible effects on the wiring. Each photo indicates the area to investigate at the arrow labeled (1).

Read more: Chevrolet Cobalt LS The service air bag message displays - JustAnswer Chevrolet Cobalt LS The service air bag message displays - JustAnswer