MKII GTI VR6

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Re: MKII GTI VR6

Post by Fred32v »

Start up or running video?
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Fred32v wrote:Start up or running video?
Ill try to get something up soon.
I drove it to work a few times. It runs real good. Tiresmoker say's it feels like a 14 sec. car when we went for a spin on Sunday. That was before I replaced the clogging fuel filter on Wednesday. It didnt start right up like normal. I suspected fuel delivery. Even though the filter only has 1200 miles or so on it, I pulled it anyway....bingo - I could hardly blow through it. So it definitely runs better than that Sundays drive around the block (which was still running darn good), exhaust note is sharper now. Another thing to consider the ecu is still "learning".
Weird thing is, its getting 33mpg - combined! I'm hoping for a mid 14 sec pass. Thats what other guys are doing with similar mk2 vr swaps. If I get that time, with that mileage- that would be great :mrgreen:
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Yeah, it felt pretty strong when we went for a ride. Sounds great too. Looking forward to seeing that car on a track!

-Dave
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

I'll get some video up when I can figure out some editing bugs.
Ran it at TRP Wed. evening. I just did 3 time runs - no racing. Best was the 3rd run. Launch felt perfect on that one. 98 degrees according to my cars temp gauge, which reads high so.. probably low 90's.
Best - 14.63 @ 93.84. 60' = 2.19
Worst (1st run) 15.0575 @ 94.26 60' =2.42 lots of spinning
2nd run 14.79 @94.27 60' = 2.29 little spinning but peddled like a pro!
So... to recap, Low 30's mpg driving to work and a solid mid 14 sec car! That's what I was hoping for
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Time now to see if you can run a 1:30 or better around Nelson Ledges.. :-) Surely you can keep up with a little Saturn!

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The white whale ran 14.12 on the 1/4 mile and 1:25 at Nelson. Can't quite make 30 mpg freeway but can make 26.

I'm thinking you can catch it on the road course. Just do it.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

and you know there's at least .3 and another mph when the temps get under 60. Those are great numbers, congrats!

-BP
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

After posting some info about my 1/4 mile runs on a vw site, some of the guys were surprised to see that I only ran a 14.6! One guy ran 94 mph at 2900lbs. Im at 2380 lbs.
Another said I should be 13.9 @100 "with a lightweight mk2" and my average 146.33 psi compression ratio before the HG upgrade was "very low". I'm inclined to believe them, there into drag racing- like alot of guys on here and also they know how to make the vr6 run real good.
I'm not bummed though or wining. Actually I'm happy to know that its got more in it when the day comes to rebuild it.
For now its running great for me. I'm just going to drive it for a while.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFtbtU- ... e=youtu.be
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That's a great video angle, you can really see everything. Car sounds great!

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Love the video. Your numbers will improve greatly
when you are running with temperatures in the 50's
instead of the 80s. There is probably 1/2 second
in the conditions.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Thanks guys. I'm going to go back for sure. Maybe I'll actually race next time. I just had to see what it would run.
Tried an Autocross today. It was at the parking lot of the old Geauga Lake Amusement Park. The car worked great...at least as far as mechanical problems. I need to put in the 6 cylinder axle with the stabilizer bar I have. This will help the handling a ton. Its been sandblasted and painted w/ POR-15. Just have to press in the new bushings I have and install it.
The tires that are on it, came with the car when I got it in 2001 and are hard as rocks. Got to replace those soon :roll: But it was a great time.
After a few runs just trying to figure out the courses layout, I got more comfortable in the afternoons runs. I moved in to 7th with this run -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObUMuuuw ... e=youtu.be

The next run was better yet moving into 6th. (sorry no video) I'm not sure how I finished in the rookie class. The results will be posted later online.
My last run had cars in front of me messing up. This resulted in 2 redflags - Which meant I got 2 re runs. I think that messed with my head... Here's the results :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=621xfEb-_PY&feature=plcp
I want to thank Tiresmoker for the use of his Go pro camera and Helmet.
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Developed a bad wheel bearing about 200miles or so after the autocross. I ordered the bearing, paid to have it pressed in. Put it back on and before I could even shift into 2nd gear the noise was still there.
Long story short the hub was bad or was damaged during the press work (what I suspect). So I got another spindle assembly and new bearing. Had it pressed in by by the shop manager (German Guy) at the place where I get most of my VW parts. He said "its good to go". Just have to install a new ball joint that is waiting to be picked up (german made)
The cars been down for a while. Moving into our new place, slowed the car project(s) down. Back on track in a day or two.

Last edited by VeeDub on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

I got this on before the rain on Saturday. Its so nice working on this thing. I HATE rust.
Got it aligned that day. I purchased a lifetime alignment at Firestone this past spring. Ive now used it a second time, so now its paid for itself :mrgreen:
So after I get home one of the tires is almost flat. I didn't even look to see whats causing it. I'm guessing a nail or screw. Its not worth fixing it. These tires are oldddd. I was just hoping to finish out the season with them. They were pretty much done anyway- Oh well. I'm looking at these-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... mpare1=yes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... mpare1=yes
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

No offense to Mostmint, but I've had real good luck with Kuhmo tires. So don't be afraid of them because they're cheaper. I also know a guy with a tire machine that might be able to help you mount those bad boys... :)

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Looking at the user reviews I see the following ratings:

Kuhmo 7.7 of possible 10

RE11 8.6 of possible 10

In this case you will have to decide if the extra performance/satisfaction is worth the extra $.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]