My Latest Project - To be Named at a later date!!

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

My Latest Project - To be Named at a later date!!

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Hi guys, Well this is my latest project - I built in my garage. I've made nearly everything I was capable of and while not nearly as much fun as actually running the car it has made that aspect more enjoyable for me as well. But then again I am goofy that way.

TRUST ME EVERYONE NEEDS one of these!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF4pNY7O ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6I5lKEt ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxSbqHNF ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOTW-PS ... re=related
Racin'Jacin

Plus my recent TRAILER PROJECT

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Gotta haul my digger on something - having a somewhat awkward driveway it made it desireable to store the trailer in the front garage - which was shorter than I'd prefer - so I made the trailer tongue collapseable - also made the trailer tilt to make unloading easier - car has very little ground clearance. Here's some various shots during the build:

Last edited by Racin'Jacin on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Super cool stuff. That had to be a seriously satisifying thrill.
That first pass showed your courage.
I missed the numbers, not that it's that important. Sweet!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Racin'Jacin

Digger

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Hi Fred, I had 7 years to mentally prepare myself!! ;-)

That day at the track was the FIRST time the car moved under it's own power. It was also the first time I had ever driven a digger. It was a thrill like nothing I have ever encountered before.

For the record the first pass was 11.02 @ 113

Second pass was 9.92 @ 123

1.45 and 1.40 60 foot times respectively.

Both passes were on COLD tires (no smokey burnout for now- I am just learning to drive this thing). I also idled the motor at the starting line - I can only assume I could improve my 60ft times if I brought it up on the converter. It also has a trans brake - but I've yet to wire it up.

No tach - no rev limiter - no shift light - I'd like rectify a few of these issues soon - maybe tonight even.

This motor is extremely MILD - stock rods - stock crank - 10:1 cast pistons - stock valves. I did cut the heads for bigger springs - I also opened up the pushrod holes and added bigger chromoly pushrods and an old set of Gotha rocker arms. I added a mild hydraulic cam and new springs. Vertex mag (Ebay) and Hilborn Injector (also Ebay) which I went through. The car is pretty light - though I can only guess as I never actually wieghed it.

The tuneup is mild - timing is conservative as is the mixture (fat). I've got a WHOLE lot to learn, but man is this a FUN way to learn!!!!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I've seen and heard this car in person and it is SWEET! Jacin's buddy has a small shop real close to me where he and his buddy Stan do a lot of the cool fab work. The attention to detail on both the car and the custom trailer are awesome.
Hopefully you can make it on Saturday and get some more wheeltime.

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Digger

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Hey Paul, We're planning on going Saturday - weather permitting. Not to take anything away from Stan - but the car was built entirely at my home as was the trailer. We did PAINT the trailer at Stan's shop and we also did some last minute tweaking and tuning on the car at his shop as well. Stan's got a sweet setup there, but I try to NOT take advantage of him there (he might disagree with that statement -but I do try - I'm just not always real sucessful at it- ha ha). FWIW - I was the one who was sorta responsible for getting Stan into the Fab Equipment - he stopped over my home garage one day and his jaw nearly hit the floor. HGR has allowed a cheapskate like to me assemble a fairly well equipped playground in my garage. Well in a short couple years Stan has actually got as much or more stuff than I do!!!!! He "blames" me to this day! ha ha ha - Both Stan's place and my own almost look like satelite storage locations for HGR - ha ha ha.

Hopefully see you at the Track!!!!

Racin'Jacin
Racin'Jacin

Other Projects

Post by Racin'Jacin »

1st car - 392 Chrysler, Pushbutton trans & 9" Ford

We were contemplating sticking a huffer on it this winter - not sure but I think I have enough pieces laying around.

Racin'Jacin

P.S. YES it's a RAMBLER!!!!
Racin'Jacin

Digger Tow Vehicle

Post by Racin'Jacin »

This one is DEFINITELY getting some love this winter. Where did I find such a sweatheart - you ask??? No other than our beloved HGR. Basement Paul hisself sold me this ravishing beauty!!!!! Sure it's hammered now, but I think once cleaned up it's gonna make a killer fun ride for the dragstrip!!!!!!! It's pulled my Saturn so I think it'll have no problem towing the digger around - have had a blast driving it around the neighborhood - kids love going "off road" in the backyard sitting on the back of it. Heck my beagle even jumped on for a ride!!! Paul - if you get any more of these in CHEAP - let me know - I'd be interested in geting another one for spare parts!!!!

markss327

Post by markss327 »

Not really a digger fan, but it sure does look impressive. 8)
Some stats on the engine and drive train please !!!!! It seems to have those funny valve covers with holes for the plug wires... :shock: :D
And... tell us about the tow vehicle.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Racin'Jacin

digger

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Mark, I used to go to Thompson years ago and look at the diggers and see the drivers sitting on the pumkin and thought to myself - these *&&%%$ are CRAZY. Somewhere along the line I stop thinking that!!!! :shock:

In any event - the motor is a nearly stock 1958 392 Hemi other than a warmer cam th eonly mods were done for reliability not speed. eg. stock heads,valves,crank,rods. Cast pistons even.

No porting, no polishing, no gasket matching.

'58 392 block
'55 331 heads
better rods bolts
better pushrods
better rocker arms
stock timing chain even
stock oil pump that I reworked (now has intergral pickup)
vertex mag
hilborn injector

TCI glide I bought used off Ebay - I cut off the integral bellhousing and installed a JW Ultrabell - manual Valve body with a trans brake (I have yet to wire up the trans brake) 3500 stall converter - also TCI

9" ford 3.89 pro gears - Strange everything - I pieced together buying each piece separate from Ebay - other than the axles which I ordered new. 35 spline axles and spool.

Mechanical brakes by Wilwood

Air Brakes by Simpson :D

No suspension front or rear - makes Thompson's washboard shutdown area sorta interesting to say the least. It is DEFINITELY a good idea to pull the chute on this - not because I am going blistering fast (cause I;m not) but because it is MUCH better to hit the washbaord goign slower than faster.

The truck is a 1947 Ford - considered an Ugly Duckling Red headed step child by most which of course makes it PERFECT for me. In actuality this exact truck was the FIRST HOT ROD I had ever saw. It was in a chilhood buddy's garage - I first saw it when I was maybe 10 years old. My buddy's dad built it in the Mid 60's. Being a Chrysler fan all his life he swapped in a 392 and pushbutton trans way back then. Many many years later while visiting another buddy of mine I see THIS truck in HIS garage. "Holy shit - that's Lemponen's old truck - did you know Gary??" My buddy proceeds to tell me he was school time buddies with Carl - Gary's father. I mentioned that if he ever wanted to sell the truck to let me know.
Years and years later a strange twist of fate put the '47 up for sale. My buddy called me and told me he REALLY wanted me to have it. He made me a deal I couldn't refuse and now it's mine.
Since I plan to tow with the truck I had to make some changes - First I put on disc brakes ('77 F150 rotors) and hooked up a '77 Corvette Master cylinder hooked up to the origional pedal - I stuck an 8" dual diaphram booster for good measure. The truck stops 1000 times better than it did even AFTER I rebuilt the stock single servo drums. Next I lost the origional "banjo" rear end - it scared me - the hard biased ply tires were not all too hard on it, but the thought of actually towing and even a smokey burnout on radials had me seeing visions of that thing exploding. If you've ever looked inside one you'll understand where I'm coming from. Anyways - Stan gave me a bare 9" housing which I narrowed one side on to better fit the truck. I was in budget mode (saving all my pennies for the dragster) so I ended up resplining the one axle. It worked out really well - since I was removing a minimal amount I was still working on the heattreated portion of the axle - made it a bear to machine, but was good in the sense that I knew it'd be ok for a good while.

I have tried my best to keep the truck looking exactly like it did when I got it. I will eventually have to repaint it, but I will make it look exactly like it does not - exactly like I remembered it when I first saw it some 30 some odd years ago.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

If you care to share, what was the total cash outlay for the digger, and the trailer? I suppose a guess on the hours to set it up might be interesting too.

I'm thinking you are onto one of the cheapest ways to go fast.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Thanks for the follow up. I have to admit, I know squat about Hemi's. Now, I know a bit more. Thanks!
Nice upgrades on the truck.

I too have a thing about childhood memories. Back in '65-'66, my parents got divorced. Mom got the house, custody and the 'better' car - 1963 Nova SS. Maroon with black interior. Dad took the '57 210 Belair. :roll:
Anyway, over 11 Novas later, here I am. :D
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Racin'Jacin

Digger

Post by Racin'Jacin »

MostMint, I have LESS than 10k in the digger including the grand I spent on safety stuff. Nomex shoes, pants,jacket,gloves,helmet,neck collar, head sock and diaper for the motor which I haven't installed yet.

As for HOURS - well I never kept track, but a WHOLE WHOLE bunch. I seriously doubt anyone could build this car for less than I did. I shook the tree branches pretty hard seeking out deals on everything from raw materials to speed parts. Now THAT statement applies to building the car - buying a "project" car - then I think it'd be realatively easy to duplicate this in terms of cash outlay.

AS for the hours "invested" - I think I fabricated much more than the regular Joe would on this type of project - simply because:
a) I am cheap
b) I enjoy making my opwn parts
c) some stuff I want a certain way.
d) did I mention I was CHEAP???

Examples of stuff I made from scratch for the car:
a) chassis
b) body
c) shifter itself
d) fuel pump extension
e) oil pan
f) valley cover
g) battery mount - top and bottom
h) various levers - shifter handle , chute and fuel levers etc
i) Firebottle mount
k) oil pump drive shaft
l) brake pedal
m) gas pedal
n) motorplate
......the list goes on pretty long

Stuff I modifed from existing parts
a) I narrowed the rear end
b) I bought a "blank" fuel tank (rubbish - shit alloy - but works for now)
c) oil pump
d) fuel pump drive (chevy spud machined to fit a hemi cam gear with an adapter)

Stuff I out and out bought NEW (some were "new" but from Ebay):
a) Front axle
b) Brake calipers
c) Steering box
d) steering wheel
e) spool
f) ring gear
g) axles, studs, nuts
h) coupler
i) flex plate
j) starter
k) bellhousing
l) trans shield
m) master cylinder
n) engine diaper
o) parachutes
p) firebottles
q) tires
r) tubes
s) pile of 4130 tubing
t) 3 sheet of aluminum for the body
u) converter

Stuff I got for FREE
a) rear end housing
b) chromoly heims
c) handful of an fittings (very small amount , but I was greatful)
d) some 1/4" aluminum for the motor plate
e) 1/2 sheet of 5052 I used for the seat
f) ignition switch (Stan)
g) mag kill relay (Stan)

Stuff I got smoking deals on:
front wheels - 200 bucks
rear wheels - 200 bucks
injector - 500 bucks
fuel pump 100 bucks
Magneto 100 bucks
Valve covers 150 bucks
girdle 25 bucks - LONG time ago - remember HRP???

Problem is - I can't get these deals again - they were all 1 time shots - swap meets - friends - ebay etc.

I guess I should stop now - my long winded point is that there is more here than you might think, and I think you would really be hard pressed to duplicte what I built for what I got in mine - but again - buying a quality old chassis and updating it would allow someone to get in CHEAP CHEAP - even though prices on chassiss have recently been high right now with 401K's TANKING who knows what will show up for sale!!!!!!!

Also a financially smarter decision would be to go with a SBC - nothing cheaper to build than a small block!!!! I have been collecting 392 hemi stuff for a LONG LONG time so it was a no brainer for me, but it'd be everybit as much fun with a chebby motor!!!!

EDIT: I forgot to mention the trailer - swapmeet wheels and tires - ebay for the axles - metal express for the steel - homedepot for the wood decking - all in all I didn't save a PENNY. When you build a trailer you do it to have it how YOU want it - not to save money. I bet I have between 2,000-2,500 in mine. That includes a crapload of freebies that STAN pumped me up with!!!!!!!!!! I know for a fact it'd be impossible to build even this little open trailer for what I got in it - simply because of the freebies I got from Stan.
Funny trailer story - The side marker lights I wanted to use are these way OLD King Bee lights (1940's) - I had two and needed two more - well wouldn't you know after looking for them for MONTHS and MONTHS I find a set on Ebay the night before I have to go out of town for work. I email the guy selling them and tell him I REALLY want them and may not be able to bid on them - so I told him "NAME your price, I'll take them - whatever you want I will pay it." He had 5 NOS in the box - 3 reds and 2 yellows - that gave me spares for everything!!!! I was done being CHEAP - I NEEDED these right then and I didn't care what they cost. The guy tells me "NO" he wants the auction to run to the end. Lucky for me I DID have internet acess at the hotel I was staying at - I slammed my bid at the last second (hey that's how it works best) and VIOLA I GOT them - I bid over 200 bucks - I knew no one would be crazy enough to bid that high and for once I was right - I was high bidder for 12 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Racin'Jacin on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racin'Jacin

Digger

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Mark, I'm no Hemi Expert, but I have put a couple together - if you want any tips on building one CHEAP - I can help. How cheap am I you may wonder???? Well I have been known to take v-6 Honda igniton wires from the boneyard because once disected you can use them on your early hemi (after replacing the wires of course) - the DUST BOOTS and extenders fit aftermarket covers better than anything.

I've also rebuilt hemi water pumps myself - once upon a time they were getting STUPID money for them - as a confirmed tightwad I had no other choice.

440 Rods bearings will fit them (gotta narrow them up a little)
340 lifters (if memory serves me)

BTW 11 novas!!! Now THAT's dedication!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

In the picture with the scooter, I see something blue, and something with flames in the foreground and background. What else you got hiding there?

-BP