Injection is nice, but...

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Injection is nice, but...

Post by TireSmoker »

... I'd rather be blown.

And I am, again. Thanks to Paul, I bought vehicle #4 from Classic -- a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP -- black, 4dr, 72k miles, chrome wheels, a/c, cruise, tilt, cassette w/EQ, power seats, aftermarket moonroof. It needed some exhaust work, and the driver's door window seems to be seperate from the power window motor. Other than that, the car is in real nice shape. $4110.50 out the door, just like the truck.

Pics to follow soon, probably over in the Projects section.

-Dave
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Any ET predictions? Low 15s?
Need pics and more info!
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Oh, this thing will be solidly in the 14s. The rusted out resonator also had this stupid bend at one end that is a known restriction on those cars -- I had it all replaced with a stright pipe. It already has a K&N. (yeah, K&N!) In fact, I'm wondering how much it might take to get a 13.99 out of it.

My Daytona Pace Car (the other GTP) went 14.53 @ 95 MPH in the cold at 42, and it was bone stock.

There hasn't been a good chance to take a picture of it -- too much snow and crap.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Driving a 14 second car in the winter is cool. Oh wait, driving a 14 second car anywhere is cool!

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Driving home from work on Friday, just after I got off the freeway, I smelled a burning smell, then coolant, then realized I had no power steering. It seems it threw a belt. I was lucky and caught all green lights and was able to coast into the shell station at 91 & Wilson Mills. I got my dad to come pick me up.

On the way home, a quick call to GMJohnnie got me setup with a tow-dolly rental. Chris called just as dad was dropping me off, so he came over and we headed up to get the tow dolly and then the GTP.

We parked the truck across the street from shell (by Yours Truly) and I made a quick dash across the street and onto the dolly. It was rush hour and there was no way I gonna get the truck/trailer into Shell's parking lot. After strapping it down, it was an uneventful tow back to my house.

Upon closer inspection, the water pump is what let go. It doesn't look like a terrible job and my newly-acquired (from Carlisle) right-angle die grinder should come in very handy for scraping the gasket surface on the block.