The Addition

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

The Addition

Post by Basement Paul »

As many of you may know, I've wanted to add more garage space for some time. Well, the time has come. We (meaning my better half and I), have decided to add a 24' x 30' garage onto the side of our house. The garage will have a single, 18' x 7' main door. There will be a single man door on the side of the garage, along with an 8' x 7' tall garage door on the side also. This door will come in handy with lawn mower stuff, and for packing in extra project cars along the back wall.

We currently have five cars, and only space inside for two. This will allow us to put all five inside, and still have some room to work on them. There's plans for some pallet racking on the house wall for extra storage, and the compressor will be moved from the basement to the garage.

It will be fully finished inside with drywall and insulation, and the driveway will be all concrete and will connect into the current driveway.

Needless to say, I can't wait until it's finished. I'm expecting about five to six weeks from now before it's done. I'll be posting progress pictures as it comes together.

-BP

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Foundation laid. nice.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today the block was delivered and installed. The brick trim was also installed, but there's some question as to how well it matches the house. We're going to give it a day or so to dry out and see what comes of it. Sounds like there will be a frame up by the end of next week, and maybe even the floor poured.

-BP

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Thursday night the excavator came in and dug out my driveway, and leveled out the garage area. The floor of the new garage will be completely even with the floor of my existing garage...that's sweet. They also spread out the gravel that goes under the concrete too. This next week, the framing is supposed to go up.

-BP
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

looks good!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The walls went up today, and I'll post pictures when it's not so late. Starting to look like something! Friday the trusses will go on... SWEET!

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Here's the pics of the walls...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

And more progress today. It's really looking like a garage. I do feel a little bad for the guys working on it though as it was about 92 degrees today.

-BP
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Is the height of the ceiling 10' ?
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm not sure if it's 9' or 10'. I'm pretty sure it's 10'. The main garage door is 8' x 18', that's why I think it's taller. Either way, there'll be no lift in my future. I could have built it with a lift in mind, but with the size and configuration, a lift would have taken up too much space.

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Have your neighbors said anything to you about it? good, bad or indifferent?
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

All good from what I've heard, but I figure if they don't like it, they won't say anything anyway. I would guess if anyone doesn't like it, it will be the people directly behind me, and they're so annoying, that if it upsets them somehow, that's good. All the people on my street (I live on a corner) seem to think it's OK.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

More progress over the last couple days (not including today)...

Well, I can't load a picture for some reason, but the shingles on the house are done now, but a storm blew in yesterday before they could get sheeting down, and now I have a couple stains in my ceiling...

While moving some items off the wall in my garage yesterday, one of the guys dropped a shovel against the c-pillar of my Cadillac, leaving a slight ding, and a large nick in the metal. If you're not looking for it, you don't see it too much, but I'll probably get an estimate anyway as he said his insurance would get it fixed. Although I'm probably not going to get it fixed and it would ruin more of the original paint, I would like to know how much to fix it right.

Today the rough wiring was finished with about seven different outlets around the garage, and wiring for the six light fixtures done too.

On the house, the ridge vent appears to be the only thing left to do, and on Monday they'll have the new front window to go in, amongst other things.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Just another picture...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The insulation is now up on the walls. The man door between garages is done. The front window is installed too. The roof on the house is complete too. Things have slowed down some, but there's a large pile of drywall sheets piled up and under cover in the garage right now, so more should be happening pretty soon.

I also seems that they will be repainting the ceiling in my main room where the leak(s) happened. This is good news.

I'm probably not going to do anything about the scratch in the Caddy. It's not that major, and I'm afraid having it "fixed" would actually make it worse.

-BP