1999 Suzuki SV650

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Post by wxo »

Hey, Smoker, how long will you be down under? I just finished the 2009 Carlisle DVDs. Do you want me to mail one to you? Maybe I could send you an ISO file so you can build your own.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I'm here until approximately June 4. Dont send me an ISO, it'll take forever for me to download. Just send a copy back with one of the guys, they can drop it off when they return the grill.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 1999 Suzuki SV650

Post by TireSmoker »

Started the season at 25,803, if I remember right.

I'm at 26,2xx something today. Seems like the season is getting started a little late here with all the rain we've been having, but the forecast is looking sunny for the next 7 days. I spent yesterday afternoon replacing my rear brake pads. They were totally shot. I'm pretty sure I've replaced the fronts already, I'll have to scroll through here to check

I also gave it a pretty good cleaning. It hadn't had one since last season and I got caught in the rain on my way home last week. Shiny 'n pretty now.

Still need to change the oil, but I don't have any 10w-40 in stock.

Rear tire doesn't look like it will last the season. I definitely need to switch to a harder compound. Barely 5k miles on it.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I've done very little pleasure riding this summer, but have done a few more commutes. And raced it twice, redlighting in the first round both times. Here's a couple runs from July 13. Thanks to VeeDub for the clips.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qcDJqkhhUs[/youtube]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Got the bike out today for the first time. Brand new Dunlop Roadsmart 160/60-17 installed on the rear @ 27,244 miles. It's a perfect day for a ride.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Oil + filter change, 28,089 miles.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re:

Post by TireSmoker »

TireSmoker wrote:You can tell that the previous owner, Richard, is an enthusiast when you talk to him. But he said he was getting some arthritis in his legs that made this bike uncomfortable for him, hence the sale.
So I ran to Napa yesterday on my bike to pick up a couple fittings for the Chevelle and oil filters for the bikes. While inside, I can see a guy sorta looking over my bike. He later comes in and says "You probably dont remember me, but I think I sold you that bike." -- and I remembered his name was Richard. We talked for several minutes -- he sorta wished he hadn't sold the bike -- he apparently overcame the arthritis issue in his legs. I told him how much I still loved the bike, pointing out I bought it from him at 13k miles and now had over 30k on it. I also pointed out the old watch (minus wristband) that he had velcroed to the speedo, as it is very useful.

His current ride is an old '69 BMW R-something. He sold the Suzuki DL650 bike that replaced the SV. I remember seeing the BMW in his garage when I bought the bike.

It was kinda cool talking to the guy.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Cool. Funny I wanted to click "like" except we don't have that here...yet
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Holy cow, 5 years since the last update!! Judging from the last post, I had about 30k on the odometer then -- and I think I only have about 32k on it now. I rode the crap out of this thing after all the bad-luck engine nonsense in the Chevelle in the late 2000s. I remember the last ride I took it on a couple years ago, the tires were really bad.

I finally broke down and got some new ones, Continental Conti-Motion. I had enough Amazon points from my credit card that I had no out-of-pocket expense for them. I also picked up a new chain + sprockets since the old ones had about 20k miles and I know there was a few stiff links. Clutch cable also needs replaced, but after looking online, it's silly cheap at under $15. I'll top if off with an oil change and some fresh brake fluid and it should be good to go for quite a while.

Will update later with specific mileage and pics.

-Dave