Nellie Belle

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Nellie Belle

Post by wxo »

I got Nellie Belle for $167 including tax, title, and tags. My time at
Wheels4Hope is finally paying off (I think). Then I bought the wheels and
tires for another $100 from Craigslist. So with other miscellaneous items,
I figure I've got about $300 in her. The clutch slave is leaking but not
bad enough to do major work yet. I filled it and bled it and it seems to
hold fluid for about a week before I need to add any. She's a four
cylinder, 4wd, 5 speed with 190k on the clock. She smokes, but runs pretty well and seems to get good gas mileage. It's tempting to NOT try to fix all the worn out stuff. She is supposed to be my temporary truck while Ol' Blue is getting fixed up.
Last edited by wxo on Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Looking forward to following the adventures that Jim and you have when swapping in that less worn 90,000 mile motor you have in storage on your deck. Wish I could be there.
wxo

Post by wxo »

What Fred is talking about is this >>>>

Nellie Belle's new (to her) motor, to which I will attach a brand new clutch before replacing her current mill.

It all started as a clutch problem.
Hmmm...I seem to be hip deep in hydraulic clutch problems these days.
Nellie has a leaking hydraulic throw out bearing. To fix it requires transmission and transfer case removal (or motor, transmission, & transfer case removal from the front. I stumbled upon this relatively low mileage 100k mile motor on Craigslist.org and just couldn't pass it up. I will resurface the flywheel on the new motor and attach the new clutch setup and next Wednesday (11/30) Jim and I will (weather permitting) be doing the dirty deed.
Last edited by wxo on Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Well, I've managed to nurse Nellie Belle's clutch for about 4k miles now.
But all of the sudden, clutch fluid is going away a lot faster. I have to add fluid every time I take her out. It looks like I'll have to stop work on the truck to change motors in the Jeep. :wink:
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

What luck! How many projects is one guy allowed to have. Boy am I jealous. Actual, except for driving through your hilly yard and around the house, that Corvette will go most any other place that the Jeep can go. Hmmm. I suspect your just laying the Jeep up because it's spring and you needed an excuse to drive your Vette.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I went to Morrisville today and had to add clutch fluid to get back home.
Hmmm...I gotta remember to refill it before I go to Wheels4Hope tomorrow.
I took the cover off the Vette yesterday to go for a ride, but the battery was dead. A quick charge and I was good to go. Whatta ride!!!!! :D
Fred32v

One More Time

Post by Fred32v »

Seem the clutch fliud continues to leak. Stay tuned!
wxo

Go Nellie Go

Post by wxo »

This ol' gal has been unbelievable. One year later and 195k and counting. The little fourbanger just doesn't give up. She doesn't even use a lot of oil (engine oil, that is). Brake fluid in the clutch is another story. After I fixed the leaky power steering hose, the engine compartment is almost dry. :D
I'm not sure how many of you know, but Fred is coming down to Raleigh on Oct 12th and we plan to pull the motor and slip in the new one with a new clutch setup. If we have as much fun as we did last year with the truck, I'll have to see if I can figure out another motor swap for next year. :wink:
wxo

A new beginning...

Post by wxo »

Fred arrived at 1:30pm after surviving a bad tooth, dead battery, low tire and broken plane. We visited the Wheels4Hope garage, then got to work.
We managed to get mostly everything disconnected and out of the way for tomorrow's extraction party. Notice the custom oil filler cap.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Random thoughts:

1) Only in a Jeep

2) Can you match the excitement of the 460 project with this?

3) Hope you guys are having fun

4) Next year you may want to consider putting a big block into something for Fred32v, he needs a nudge to get that done.

5) Are you discussing Corvettes at Carlisle?

6) Hey - nice tires on that Jeep!
Last edited by MostMint on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Aren't you selling the Vette because it's a stick shift??? You should save your shifting elbow for the Vette. :)

-BP
wxo

Day 2 - Out she comes.

Post by wxo »

We were a little slow getting started today but took this picture before lunch. It was a bit chilly this morning - 47 degrees.

In case you want to see us in action and have the time to wait for the download, check out this video:
2.5L Extraction (21 mb)

Here's the culprit. The leaky ol' release bearing and the brand new one.
Here's the new one installed (and the old one glad it's done).
wxo

Day 3 - In she goes.

Post by wxo »

Saturday started out at 35 degrees but Sunny. We had to regroup and find all the tools and get them organized for the install. We had a few things to overcome but made out just fine. We found a stripped bolt in the starter, so we had to scrounge parts from one starter to another. No biggee. Then we changed a bad motor mount on the left side.
Getting the motor to mate up to the transmission was a hassle, but we finally got it to go by removing the oil filter and motor mounts. We were able to get the motor to settle into the right hand mount by using a spud bar. It jumped into place and took a divot from Walt's knuckle. No biggee. Randi patched me up and I was good to go. By the time we had to leave for Church, the motor was in and everything underneath was buttoned up. Tomorrow will be a detail day. We have dozens of connectors and fittings and brackets to figure out.
We are anxious to see if the new motor will fire and run.

Below is the broken motor mount. The inside is sitting on top of the mount.

Here we are testing the starter to make sure the solenoid would work.
One of the starters was shimmed, but we didn't know if the one we used needed the shim. It did.

Then Randi came along to make sure we were doing it right.

End of day 3 we were very happy with our success so far. We can't wait until tomorrow to see if we can get it to run. We'll post a movie of it running if we can.

wxo

Day 4 - Great expectations

Post by wxo »

We started out slow but with great expectations. We knew that the bottom was done (not really) and all we had to do was find a place to plug up all those connectors and install the AC, Alternator, etc. By 4pm we had everthing hooked up and ready to go except the radiator. We just had to try to get it started. No dice!!! By 5pm we found compression to be 120, 110, 80 and 110 and two cylinders with no fuel. We swapped in the good fuel rail from the old engine and were still frustrated by no fire in the hole. We have good spark, good enough compression, fuel, new plugs but no fire. We put it away for the night and went for pizza.

SPARE PARTS:

Why won't it start?????????

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Will it fire on ether??